PDA

View Full Version : FReq: Extend ITEM SHAPE functionality to all possible items

jeric_synergy
07-12-2015, 12:39 PM
FEATURE REQUEST: Currently, TMK, the ITEM SHAPE functionality is limited to Objects only.

It would be convenient to have such a function for other items, such as Bones, Lights, and Cameras.

Remember the ITEM SHAPE plugin has several labeling features in addition to the 'shape' functionality.

Sensei
07-12-2015, 05:42 PM
Currently, TMK, the ITEM SHAPE functionality is limited to Objects only.

Because only objects can have custom object handler.

jeric_synergy
07-12-2015, 07:19 PM
Well, whatever: this is poor planning IMO by the original coders. This restriction comes too early in some internal pipeline. The representation of a UI element should be swappable/appendable, as Objects are.

I know programmers can't anticipate anything, but the small-time roots of LW show here very clearly.

lino.grandi
07-13-2015, 02:44 AM
Can you make an example of what you would like to accomplish, practically speaking?

jeric_synergy
07-17-2015, 10:22 AM
..... :stumped: .... I >>HAD<< a very practical application when I formulated the request, but now it escapes me....

MOST likely I was thinking of LIGHTS (almost certainly) -- perhaps so that one could denote DP-Lights more particularly (just guessing).

But while I was pondering this, I wondered if it would be possible to make the labeling DYNAMIC, so that for instance, intensity AT THAT FRAME was displayed. Of course, each Item type has widely differing properties...

When I remember what it was specifically I'll revisit this thread. Almost certainly to do with lights though.....

Sensei
07-17-2015, 10:39 AM
Custom object handlers are useful for *developers* to draw something to Layout viewport.
For users, which don't code plugins, it's barely useful thing..
You could just replace light/camera item view (wireframe) from default one to something else. Almost useless, because it does not do anything serious..

Developer of plugin can find a way to workaround lack of light/camera custom obj handler, by using null item for instance (or gizmo), and then in custom obj handler/gizmo analyze where are interesting lights/cameras to draw something in their positions..

jeric_synergy
07-17-2015, 11:01 AM
"Serious"? UI stuff is serious.

The point of this feature request is to make it feasible for users to change and OR add graphical elements to the UI.

Sensei
07-17-2015, 11:54 AM
"Serious"? UI stuff is serious.

UI is just a way to display state of tool/system to user. It doesn't do anything by itself. There is needed real code.

jeric_synergy
07-17-2015, 01:27 PM
::eyeroll:: Yeah, whatever.