PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to framestepping?

MrFurious
07-12-2015, 08:39 AM
I use a few motion modifiers that require regular framestepping to update layout and see the results. Problem is occasionally I don't do the framestep properly and end up on then next or previous frame unknowingly.. then I have to clean up the mess later by moving keyframes back one frame. Is there some way natively or even a plugin which can do the same thing as a framestep ie: refresh the layout window without actually framestepping?

RebelHill
07-12-2015, 08:54 AM
Turn on StudioLive...

Alternatively...

@script generic

generic
{
UpdateMotion();
RefreshNow();
}

Ryan Roye
07-12-2015, 09:19 AM
In many cases you shouldn't be experiencing frame errors.

Check the order of items listed in item sequence. You can either use the classic scene editor, or set the new scene editor to sort items by sequence (which is the same as shown in classic scene editor).

Rule of thumb:

- Items that affect an object's motions should be placed above that object in the list.
- Collision items in displacement should always be placed on top.

If you get off-by-one frame errors, adjusting the order of items in the sequence will remedy the problem.

MrFurious
07-12-2015, 09:31 AM
StudioLive where have you been hiding!!.... this has solved ALL my motion modifier update issues [for now ;)] Thanks RebelHill.

Actually it hasn't been hiding, NT have done a lot of work promoting StudioLive I suppose I never thought it would be something that applies to my work and didn't take the time to look into it. I notice you can set the FPS scan to any number to balance between openGL performance and motion tracking speed. I wonder if there's any downside to leaving the LIVE toggle permanently on?

Ryan I haven't been getting any frame errors, I just got sick of always having to framestep [left arrow, right arrow] to update any motion modifiers. And sometimes I'd accidentally do one too many lefts or rights or miss one, meaning everything I modify form that point onwards ends up on the wrong keyframe.

jeric_synergy
07-12-2015, 10:41 AM
I've seen this solution so many times, I wonder how we could make it more obvious, because it's a continual surprise even to experienced users. -I'm NOT being snarky here. It's very NON-obvious imo, which makes it a training issue. We could either 1) doc the heck out of it, or perhaps 2) add a redundant/duplicated switch in an appropriate area to make it more 'natural'. Thoughts?

MrFurious
07-12-2015, 11:02 AM
A highlight video showing more of an 'everyday user' type application (such as mine) rather than Live's application for live sets, using gaming controllers etc. The main reason I never looked into StudioLive is I though it's application was outside my scope of work. Even a simple video showing how with one click the entire LW UI experience changes from a clunky, left-right framestep affair to having fluid realtime feedback when using motion modifiers. This really is a game changer for me.

jeric_synergy
07-12-2015, 11:16 AM
MrFurious, I'd be right beside you in that boat: StudioLive seems VERY esoteric to me. Showing how it works in, frankly, what I suspect is a much more common scenario, would be a very good move for LW3dG outreach and marketing.

::sigh:: There's SO MANY of these kinds of obscure, occult things, it makes it very hard to convince possible new customers.

RebelHill
07-12-2015, 11:52 AM
Its not obvious because its a "hack/workaround". StudioLive wasnt intended for this purpose. When V11 first came out, NT tried to speed up LWs evaluations (regarding motions, displacements, etc) by "deferring" some of them to be none interactive. (I know, you speed up scene evaluation by reducing the number of things that get evaluated... great idea). This killed interactivity for a bunch of things that worked just fine before, whilst delivering a tiny speedup of layout (1-2% max by all my tests). But since StudioLive requires everything to be connected and working for Live input from devices/controllers, it has to turn everything back on, but, does so at the expense of slowing down interactivity in layout (much more than by the 1-2% previously gained).

What needs to happen isnt for Studio to be documented as part of this whole thing and its solution (since it wasnt "really" a solution for it), but rather, for the motion system itself to be fixed back into its previously working state, and (perhaps) with some new "Studio-esque" toggle added to switch levels of interactivity for the evaluations should users desire to use such.

jeric_synergy
07-12-2015, 12:06 PM
...or, that.

stiff paper
07-12-2015, 05:00 PM
Its not obvious because its a "hack/workaround". StudioLive wasnt intended... {snip!} ...to switch levels of interactivity for the evaluations should users desire to use such.
Oh for goodness' sake. Sometimes the LW3DG makes it very hard to keep the faith.

MrFurious
07-24-2015, 11:55 PM
...I wonder if there's any downside to leaving the LIVE toggle permanently on?

Found a couple; VPR and Octane IPR don't play nice with Live

Interesting info Rebel. Out of curiosity I dusted off my copy of LW9 to compare motion modifier interactivity only to realize (obviously..) there's no nodal motion modifier as it wasn't implemented until LW11 I think.

p.s. Love your tutorial videos', I've learned a lot from them.

RebelHill
07-25-2015, 05:13 AM
I dusted off my copy of LW9 to compare motion modifier interactivity only to realize (obviously..) there's no nodal motion modifier as it wasn't implemented until LW11

No it wasnt... but theres a DP plugin that did it first for V9+