PDA

View Full Version : View all surfaces associated with a selected layer (in layout)

MrFurious
07-12-2015, 08:20 AM
I stumbled across a plugin which allowed me to select a layer in Layout and view all associated surfaces just for that selected layer, This was long time ago when I didn't have a need for it.. now I do! and damned if I can find it now...Murphy's Law in full effect. Anyone out there heard of such a thing?

ernpchan
07-12-2015, 12:44 PM
Never heard of this plugin. How does it show you the surfaces?

Ztreem
07-12-2015, 05:12 PM
Press w and go to the line with surfaces and click the arrow down to show available surfaces.

jeric_synergy
07-12-2015, 11:26 PM
In Layout. Hmmmmm....

Ztreem
07-13-2015, 02:24 AM
In Layout. Hmmmmm....

Sorry, missed that!
But why do you have to do it in layout? Why not utilize the whole application?

MrFurious
07-17-2015, 02:49 AM
Argh,. it's all a bit fuzzy, there is a chance I was mistaken with this elusive 'plugin', maybe wishful thinking?

By others reactions I'm starting to feel I'm the only one out there in LW land who would find this useful. Basically It's part of a surfacing workflow where I'd have an interior or exterior scene wrapped in a global surface for wire-framing stage (usually white or grey) similar to a clay render. Then I'd begin surfacing the scene one layer/object at a time. You know how things are sometimes you're on autopilot and just need a checklist of sorts and go through things by the numbers, hence would be helpful to select an layer in layout and go through each surface. Yes I could, and often do, send each object through to modeler via the hub but its' tedious, time consuming waiting for the apps to refresh (especially with denser meshes and large scenes) and with ANY layout/hub/modeler interaction there's always a risk of crashing. Each time I do this I need to; load the object in modeler (waiting..), select said layer, polygon info window, select surface dropdown, check associated surfaces, alt tab back to layout (layout doesn't crash? check!)......update and refresh......more waiting..... rinse and repeat. Would be so much easier to view them in layout.

Ok,.. rant over. But I use a workaround for this now- when I model each layer I name all the surfaces of that layer with a prefix ie: [roof layer] roof tile, roof gutter, roof fascia etc so in effect I can view each surface per layer in the surface window. Pain in the bum tho for aquired models having to rename surfaces.

Thomas Leitner
07-17-2015, 04:16 AM
..... But I use a workaround for this now- when I model each layer I name all the surfaces of that layer with a prefix ie: [roof layer] roof tile, roof gutter, roof fascia etc so in effect I can view each surface per layer in the surface window. Pain in the bum tho for aquired models having to rename surfaces.

Hi,
maybe I missunderstood your problem, but if you want to see your surfaces sorted per object (layer) in Surface Editor you can choose Edit by "Object".

ciao
Thomas

jeric_synergy
07-19-2015, 11:31 AM
...... but if you want to see your surfaces sorted per object (layer) in Surface Editor you can choose Edit by "Object".

Well, THAT was embarrassing....