PDA

View Full Version : Didn't HIDING used to allow you to isolate polys from SEL CONN?

jeric_synergy
07-12-2015, 01:01 AM
Am I misremembering or didn't HIDING a chunk of polys used to make it so that if you used SELECT CONNECTED the hidden polys might act like a 'firebreak' in the connection process?

8~

stiff paper
07-12-2015, 02:47 AM
I think you might be misremembering. In 9.6, at least, Select Connected ignores whether polys are hidden or not and selects straight through/past them.

jeric_synergy
07-12-2015, 11:46 AM
Age has not been kind.

Thanks for the (anti-)confirmation.

Perhaps this should be a USER OPTION: personally, I'd prefer it to work as I 'remember' it. Thoughts? It's a nice way to create 'firebreaks' in a large model.

JoePoe
07-12-2015, 03:51 PM
Edit: sorry think I misread your original post.

You can't select , say, a loop > hide, then select a poly(s) on the left and select connected and only get the left.

BUT you can select a loop > hide, then select a poly(s) on the left and step expand as much as you want and it won't cross the gap.

Edit 2: But of course if you hide polys > grab a visible poly and hit select connected and then unhide, then the polys that had been hidden will not be selected. Not really a "firebreak". (.....and, a more direct route to that same selection anyway.... select all the polys to hide, but then instead just hit invert selection.)

jeric_synergy
07-12-2015, 04:21 PM
So, EXPAND SELECTION cooperates with HIDE, but SELECT CONNECT does not.

OK, that's (imo) Good, but I'd still lobby for SEL CONN (that's what my buttons says) to cooperate with HIDE, so I made this FReq/Poll:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?147255-FReq-Hiding-polys-stops-SELECT-CONNECTED-operation

Please do weigh in with your thoughts on this burning topic.

Basically, I just want VISIBLE stuff to behave predictably. UI-wise, it would be in a preferences panels somewhere, wie so:

Select Connect respects visibility?:

[_] Points
[_] Edges
[_] Polygons

Select Expand respects visibility?:

[_] Points
[_] Edges
[_] Polygons

Default would be ALL checked.

stiff paper
07-12-2015, 04:43 PM
Honestly don't see any pressing need for separate checkboxes for points, edges and polys. Surely just a single on/off checkbox would be enough for almost all uses?

jeric_synergy
07-12-2015, 07:23 PM
Just covering all the bases, mate. Someone somewhere is sure to whinge about it otherwise.

And someone, somewhere, has a workflow that DOES depend on it. And maybe it's a GREAT workflow that'd I'd happily adopt, if I had the knowledge or the option. So, flexibility.

You're most likely right, but hey, we can claim it over Modo, right? ::nudge nudge::

After seeing some of the tricks Erikals pulls with SELECT PATTERN, I'm happy for flexibility overkill ---as long as it's not too onerous in coding time.