PDA

View Full Version : [Question] Extra Fonts. Aquasition and installation?

cove
07-11-2015, 01:32 PM
Id like to install more fonts into my Lightwave 2015.2 [O/S Microsoft 7].

The LW manual say,s------

"PostScript Type 1 fonts/OTF fonts" are ok.

The LW manual Also say,s------

"LightWave will automatically populate its font list with any font available to your operating system including PostScript, TrueType and OpenType formats."

If i understand correctly any additional fonts installed into the Microsoft O/S will automatically be added to the Lightwaves font list.

Q1.
When the extra fonts are showing in LW font list will they be dispersed among the present list and be displayed in alphabetical order.
Or will the new set of fonts be tagged onto the end of the present list.
I would much prefer any new fonts [collections of] to be kept seperate from the default list.

Q2.
You maybe saying why not try downloading some fonts and see how things appear!.

I have tried to search for and download some free fonts but my Anti virus software has flagged up a warning "suspicios activity" with some files/fonts

This has made me apprehensive to try other sites with free fonts.

Do you know of any sites that i can visit to aquire new fonts.
I don,t even mind paying for the equivalent of a CD full of a whole veriety of fonts.

What im actualy after are font styles that are different from the standard.
Fun/odd/cartoony/futuristic/stylish/quirky//anything different.

The few sites i did go to had some great fonts that you could download
individually but could not because of "suspicios activity" warning.
Thanks for any advice/info in reply.
Regards. KEN.

spherical
07-11-2015, 03:15 PM
Fonts go into the %SystemRoot%\Windows\fonts\ directory. They will be sorted according to their internal name in dialogues. IOW, the display name will sometimes not appear to be correctly alphabetically sorted. Berthold City sorts between CircleD and City D, because Berthold is a City variant; both of which are clones of the original City font.

You can certainly trust Google to have clean files. Go here to learn how to get their collections:
http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-download-google-fonts-to-your-computer/

cove
07-12-2015, 12:43 AM
Thanks spherical for info and link to font site.
Had a look at fonts styles available and chose 25 from list.
It appears that the only way you can download these fonts is if you have a web site as after choosing "use" there is this---
"Verify your settings below and then copy the code for your website".
I do not have a website!.
Is there a way to download these fonts separately so i can install them
into O/S or into a seperate folder?.
Thanks for any further info in reply.

spherical
07-12-2015, 01:11 AM
Well, the primary method and purpose of Google's Font Library is Web Fonts, which are called by CSS to be loaded into a web page to replace the standard fonts and give the page a distinctive style. But, I believe the link I provided outlines a procedure where the fonts can be downloaded to your machine, instead of being called dynamically, as in a web page load in a browser. Now, if the download capability has been disabled then you're back to searching for other reputable font repositories that don't have malicious code embedded in their files. There are many out there. It seems that your AV/FW just might be a bit knee-jerky on what is and is not malware, but it does pay to be diligent. Just do some research on "font malware download", or some such terms, and learn what is and is not a risk.

cove
07-12-2015, 05:12 AM
Thanks spherical for further advice.
Will double check the google font site for alternative download option.
If unavailable then will do searches with your advice in mind.
Should find a site eventually that i feel i can dowload from.
The odd thing about the few sites i had tried and were flagged with a warning
is that Mcafee flagged the sites as ok with a green square.
but when i tried to download a font within the site Mcafee flagged the files with
a suspicious activity warning. Hence my seeking advice in this thread.

cove
07-12-2015, 07:24 AM
Hi again spherical. Good news!!
Have now successfully chosen/downloaded/installed fonts and all fonts show in LW fonts list.
What id done was to click on the link to the next page with out realising there were more instructions
on the first page to follow to enable fonts to be used on the computer system.
Had i just pulled the scroll bar down a bit i would of seen the extra instructions.
May still look for other fonts but im more than happy with what ive got so far.
Thanks again for your help we got there in the end.

spherical
07-12-2015, 04:16 PM
Happy to have been of service. :)