PDA

View Full Version : Insect Leg IK noob question

jnddepew
07-09-2015, 08:25 PM
Hi, I am pretty inexperienced with rigging, specifically setting up IK and I'm having a little problem.

Here goes:
I have every bone in this creature's leg all set up with IK and it should have plenty of flexibility, but whenever I move the goal null closer as in the image below, the limb fails to bend enough to hit the target, but instead intersects the floor. Any idea why this might be happening?

Thanks!

RebelHill
07-10-2015, 03:46 AM
Somehow or other you have the IK setup wrong... hard to say how exactly.

See this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2VYPnVIW0Y&index=15&list=PLTds3QePYrWEWipwKkLmyNT4Tf_JTigM2

jnddepew
07-11-2015, 01:03 PM
Very helpful tutorial, thanks Rebel!
It seems that my problem was not understanding the use of "Unaffected by IK of Descendents".

jeric_synergy
07-11-2015, 10:30 PM
At around the ~10:00 mark or so, RH attaches a grid to the root bone of the IK chain.

How is that accomplished? Did he (invisibly) add a null with an Item Shape, or use some other feature?

ernpchan
07-11-2015, 10:38 PM
At around the ~10:00 mark or so, RH attaches a grid to the root bone of the IK chain.

How is that accomplished? Did he (invisibly) add a null with an Item Shape, or use some other feature?

My guess is yeah. I don't know of anything else that would do that.

jeric_synergy
07-11-2015, 11:49 PM
At least others find it mysterious! ::feeling better about self::

Ma3rk
07-12-2015, 01:01 AM

Basic stuff actually. Just select the item mentioned, go to the Properties panel, and you can then add a custom shape, in this case a grid.

jeric_synergy
07-12-2015, 12:11 PM
Yeah, what threw me is the selection wasn't of the Bone, TMK you cannot apply the Item Shape plugin to anything BUT an Object, and the switch happened too fast for me to notice.

Y'know, it WOULD be nice if ITEM SHAPE could be applied to Bones, Lights, and Cameras. Why not? It'd be useful occasionally. (Some of the coolest features of LW have always been how you could do 'non-sensical' things, like -100% Diffuse, that turn out to be useful.)

RebelHill
07-12-2015, 12:18 PM
Did he (invisibly) add a null with an Item Shape... the switch happened too fast for me to notice.

Yeah... thats the OLDEST trick in the vfx handbook...

editing.

jeric_synergy
07-12-2015, 12:29 PM
Just making sure there wasn't some plugin out there I didn't know about.