PDA

View Full Version : Copy surfaces

magiclight
07-08-2015, 02:15 PM
Hi!

I tried to use Fujio Ichikawa's "Copy surfaces" plugin, but it looks like it is not working very well with LW 2015.2, get lots of error messages about setValue(....) and it does not copy any surfaces.

Any ideas on other alternatives to copy surfaces from one object to another (the have both have the same surface names) ?
Or is there even some clever way that I missed to do this from inside LW ?

Greenlaw
07-08-2015, 02:25 PM
You could save a Surface Library and then apply that to the other object. This method is useful if you have an object with dozens of surfaces.

To use Surface Library, right-click on the object name (not a surface name) in the Surface Editor, and select Save Library. This saves a list of the surface settings for all the surfaces in the object. Next, right-click on the second object in the Surface Editor and select Load Library. Assuming the second object shares the same surface names, the library should load all the corresponding surfaces from the first object.

Hope this helps.

G.

prometheus
07-08-2015, 02:25 PM
Hi!

I tried to use Fujio Ichikawa's "Copy surfaces" plugin, but it looks like it is not working very well with LW 2015.2, get lots of error messages about setValue(....) and it does not copy any surfaces.

Any ideas on other alternatives to copy surfaces from one object to another (the have both have the same surface names) ?

right click your surface, then select the other surface and paste.
if many surfaces..hold shift and select all surfaces, then go to the other object, select all those surfaces and paste.
Edit...a not working as I thought, go with Greenlaws suggestion for many surfaces that is.

magiclight
07-08-2015, 02:56 PM
Ah, thanks, there it was, just in front of my eyes.

Sensei
07-08-2015, 05:53 PM

Do you saw TrueArt's Global Materials?
http://globalmaterials.trueart.eu

You can have single material applied to many surfaces, many objects, at the same time. And store everything in LWS, not in LWO..

caustics
07-08-2015, 06:22 PM
Hi Greenlaw,

Great advice ... this one should definitely go into the "Basic stuff Lightwave users should know, but are not-so-obvious" thread.

Never thought about right-clicking the object name ... i think I'll right-click on anything from now on ... just to discover those hidden treasures.

Regards.

Greenlaw
07-08-2015, 06:32 PM
Somebody I worked with showed that feature to me many years ago and, yeah, I was amazed that this 'hidden' feature existed in Surface Editor...and I had already been using LW in production for a very long time.

Thanks for the link. I can think of a few other 'not so obvious' things about Lightwave, and some are barely mentioned in the manual, if at all. I'll post what I know to the thread (if the info hasn't already been posted there.) First I want to read it through and see if there are any new tricks for me. :)

G

spherical
07-08-2015, 11:14 PM
Might be obvious but start a new thread for each tip, so as to help identify them in Search. There's a number of them that have multiple tips in one post. Having a 'hit' when the title says nothing about that result makes things less than intuitive.

madno
07-08-2015, 11:14 PM
Sensei,
while you mentioned your Global Material plug in, I like to make feature requests. First of all, I like Global Materials a lot. The Screenshot shows a setup with 39 surfaces. During making the scene I came to the conclusion that I a lot of them could use the same values. With Global Materials I can change multiple surfaces at once - a real time saver for me.

But what would make it even better is:
If I select a material node (one that is the end in the chain and goes into the final GlobalMaterials on the right side) it would be great if it would highlight to which surfaces it is connected to (maybe something like changing the color of the wires).

And if there are surfaces which are not used anymore (no objects in Modeler have those surfaces applied) it would be great if one could delete them automatically. Right now the only way I know to get rid of those redundant surfaces (delete them out of the global materials node editor) is to manually edit the scene file with a text editor.

Greenlaw
07-09-2015, 12:01 AM
Great advice ... this one should definitely go into the "Basic stuff Lightwave users should know, but are not-so-obvious" thread.

Reading through that thread now...it's a pretty good one. Looks like the tip I posted above was already posted there by Matt. :)

G.

magiclight
07-09-2015, 02:13 PM
It works very good with Load Library / Save Library, but keep an eye on UV maps, if you export an OBJ for example and import it like I do and then use Load library to restore surfaces the UV maps must have the same names, it's easy to miss that, in my case the name of the UV map get prefixed by the object name so I need to use the same name for it to work.

Sensei
07-09-2015, 02:22 PM
But what would make it even better is:
If I select a material node (one that is the end in the chain and goes into the final GlobalMaterials on the right side) it would be great if it would highlight to which surfaces it is connected to (maybe something like changing the color of the wires).

Unfortunately it's not doable in LWSDK..

And if there are surfaces which are not used anymore (no objects in Modeler have those surfaces applied) it would be great if one could delete them automatically. Right now the only way I know to get rid of those redundant surfaces (delete them out of the global materials node editor) is to manually edit the scene file with a text editor.

This is on my TODO list, and will be added in the next release.

Greenlaw
07-09-2015, 02:27 PM
...but keep an eye on UV maps, if you export an OBJ for example and import it like I do and then use Load library to restore surfaces the UV maps must have the same names...
Good to know. Now, if only I can remember this tip when I run into that problem. :)

G.