PDA

View Full Version : The Realflow Quick Start Guide

Ryan Roye
07-01-2015, 09:34 PM
This very concise, carefully designed and afforable course will get you up to speed using Realflow by identifying all of the critical elements necessary to produce usable fluid simulations. Lightwave connectivity plugin usage is also covered; they provide seamless methods of bridging data between the applications and particles from realflow operate in a way that's fully compatible with Lightwave's native particle system.

https://vimeo.com/132396906

http://www.liberty3d.com/the-realflow-quick-start-guide/

Huge thanks to the folks at NextLimit that provided the instructor-licensed copies of Realflow to make teaching it possible.

3dWannabe
07-01-2015, 10:53 PM
I own the latest RealFlow and keep intending to get back into it.

I looked at your sample video, seems quite nice!

In the spirit of your comment: 'you need results now', it would be great to see a chapter on using RealFlow with Octane in a real-world scenario using RFRK, etc.!!

Oldcode
07-02-2015, 04:06 AM
Hey Ryan!

That's really cool! Wish this was around when I was first learning Real Flow, but I think I'm going to get it anyway because I've always had problems with Hybrido since they changed some thing with V2013. And the price is very very reasonable!

Thanks! :D

lightscape
07-02-2015, 06:54 AM
Is this a general overview or are the samples in the video explained in a step by step tutorial?

Ryan Roye
07-02-2015, 07:19 AM
Is this a general overview or are the samples in the video explained in a step by step tutorial?

General overview. I'm only concerned with giving the user the bare minimum knowledge needed to get started with Realflow, so the only the most critical aspects of the application are covered (the aspects that would leave a user stumbling around without knowledge of). In more focused tutorials we will of course go much more in depth on how to achieve more specific effects using the tools available.

As for the samples, some are displayed to elaborate on points made in the video, while others are covered in detail. I really focused on keeping things straight, simple, and to the point.

hrgiger
07-02-2015, 07:54 AM
Ryan, do these cover RealFlow to LightWave workflow?

lightscape
07-02-2015, 07:56 AM
Same q as hr. And will the learning edition apply?

Ryan Roye
07-02-2015, 08:01 AM
Ryan, do these cover RealFlow to LightWave workflow?

Yes, and that is covered step by step. All of the things I cover specifically are outlined on the product page.

I should mention that I do not cover the RFRK, and instead focus on the Connectivity plugins because those are what the vast majority of users will be using anyways.

The RFRK is, in my opinion, sluggish to work with and should only be used when there's no way to avoid it. Yes, it lets you adjust simulations without re-simulating and render them with lower memory overhead and such, but it has many limitations like not working with VPR, inability to deform things in the viewport and the requirement of rendering to see most changes. I'm not a fan of the "F-9-paint-dry" workflows of the past :)

Also, to my knowledge there is no difference between the versions of Realflow available; they all have the same capabilities, just different licensing restrictions.

Ryan Roye
07-02-2015, 10:58 AM
In the spirit of your comment: 'you need results now', it would be great to see a chapter on using RealFlow with Octane in a real-world scenario using RFRK, etc.!!

Usage of realflow with Octane is fairly straightforward and mirror's usage with Lightwave pretty closely; the only real issues are:

1) You must set Octane to do full scene reloads with every frame rendered.

2) IPR cannot be used at all with the RFRK.

3) Octane doesn't have any particle-related capability (yet), meaning you'd have to use Lightwave's renderer to composite secondary splash effects in.

4) Some animated parameters cannot be saved into a surface file (nodes??), and therefor disable your ability to make fluid surfaces change over time with Octane.

Oldcode
07-02-2015, 06:19 PM
Just placed my order Ryan! :D Can't wait to see how you handle the basic setup of Hybrido. I have several tutorials that are for Real Flow 5 and 2012, and are significantly out of date. I hope you're intro will help me better use not just Hybrido, but Real Wave and the other stuff as well.

Are you going to make more? That would be so cool!

One suggestion, although it would be a lot of work, is a break down of each type of fluid particles, liquid, dumb, elastic, ect, and daemons. What each daemon does, and where and how you'd want to use it.

Cheers!

Ryan Roye
07-02-2015, 07:10 PM
Are you going to make more? That would be so cool!

One suggestion, although it would be a lot of work, is a break down of each type of fluid particles, liquid, dumb, elastic, ect, and daemons. What each daemon does, and where and how you'd want to use it.

To answer your first question, that's entirely dependent on the level of interest. If people are interested, we'll make more detailed and in-depth Realflow-to-Lightwave content that can cover areas that an introductory video like my quick start guide cannot. Our plan for future Realflow training would involve various things:

- Achieving photo-realistic renderings in Lightwave using the interchange tools.
- Project-based learning content that tackles specific, but common scenarios (IE: product advertisements, character interactions, motion graphics, etc.)
- Specialty videos that cover advanced workflows, like using wet maps to "dampen" things, image sequence texturing, sculpting the results, etc.

The Quick Start Guide is purposed exactly as its name implies... I'm less concerned with covering what every little parameter does, and more interested in simply condensing all of the information the user needs to use the whole application in a broad sense. Some of the info I go over may seem obvious, but there's plenty of other things that are not. Instead of hunting this information down in manuals and scattered youtube videos, one can simply reference the video and have a good idea on where to go from there.

Oldcode
07-04-2015, 06:50 AM
Just bought this and if you're new to Real Flow, it's a great investment! I've been using Real Flow for a few years now and I learned some new things that I never knew before.

Great video Ryan!

Two thumbs up! :D

lightscape
07-04-2015, 06:57 AM
ID4 coupon code working for anyone?

Ryan Roye
07-04-2015, 08:30 AM
ID4 coupon code working for anyone?

I fixed it, should be working now.

spigolo
07-06-2015, 05:57 AM
Hello
i'm very interested to this subject. I used it in the past for a couple of work...
the things interest me more is to produce ocean simulation with boat
(yachts) running on the water with foam and sprays..I saw tha tyou posted a video of a boat running is that covered in the video?
Many thanks

Ryan Roye
07-06-2015, 08:49 AM
(yachts) running on the water with foam and sprays..I saw that you posted a video of a boat running is that covered in the video?
Many thanks

I don't remember posting a boat anywhere. The quick start guide will certainly help you get to those results, but the guide is more for acquainting the user to the bare minimum basics of Realflow (and usage with Lightwave) in a short amount of time.

Again, if there is enough interest, we'll follow this product up with more advanced ones that delve deeply into the RealFlow toolset to produce content suitable for use with television and movie work.

spigolo
07-06-2015, 09:29 AM
Ok good!
In the meantime I have purchased the video tutorial...
I wait for foam,sea waves and boat!

m.d.
07-06-2015, 10:00 AM
Usage of realflow with Octane is fairly straightforward and mirror's usage with Lightwave pretty closely; the only real issues are:

1) You must set Octane to do full scene reloads with every frame rendered.

2) IPR cannot be used at all with the RFRK.

3) Octane doesn't have any particle-related capability (yet), meaning you'd have to use Lightwave's renderer to composite secondary splash effects in.

Ancient test I did with real flow octane
http://youtu.be/vs9F5QEJTpM

The splash is octane.....just a small low poly sphere instanced on real flow splash particles.
You can pretty well do it all native

I also would argue against using RFRK for the reasons Ryan stated....the only benefit is smaller file size. And on top of the inability to use IPR....you can not preview your meshing until a f9 of f10 render...
With a pre meshed workflow, you can do a previz, IPR surface etc etc

lightscape
07-06-2015, 11:12 AM
Wild Dolphins Jumping - RealFlow & LightWave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut5Tn02b4DM

Ryan Roye
07-06-2015, 01:04 PM
Wild Dolphins Jumping - RealFlow & LightWave

The LookingMercury3D youtube channel has a bunch of other Realflow ---> Lightwave videos worth looking at as well; you'd be hard pressed to get anywhere near that using native tools.

erikals
07-23-2015, 05:05 AM
at times i throw a glance at RealFlow... i see they have speedy Dyverso, is this covered in the tut ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzu0c6ndLjk

lightscape
07-23-2015, 06:01 AM
The tutorial is very basic. I think it might be the most basic introductory tutorial I've ever watched.

Should have covered obj sequences like this imho.

https://vimeo.com/130490745

Ryan Roye
07-23-2015, 07:05 AM
at times i throw a glance at RealFlow... i see they have speedy Dyverso, is this covered in the tut ?

I can't cover something that hasn't been released to the public yet :)

I'll of course need to update the quick start guide to go over the UI changes and Dyverso when Realflow 2015 does go live.

Should have covered obj sequences like this imho.

I scrapped the object sequence route because I ran into unexpected issues with it (unwanted rotation of object upon saving, loss of motion blur, etc). The only difference between what I show in the quickstart guide and the first demo video I put out is that it uses the connectivity plugins instead of an actual object sequence... overall a better method, but produces more scene overhead as a result. You can still manipulate the geometry of RF mesh sequences just like OBJ sequences. It's also worth noting I optimized that mesh sequence using polygon cruncher to get it to play back smoothly in the viewport; Realflow does not provide that level of optimization.