PDA

View Full Version : Content Directory: resetting: do we STILL have to do this?

jeric_synergy
06-29-2015, 12:36 PM
In the 21st Century, do we STILL have to CLOSE/RELAUNCH Layout to get it to reset its Content Directory settings?

Can't we get a real, genuine, grown-up RESET BUTTON?

(Paths persisted despite resetting the root directory-- aggravating. Nothing like being forced to start the app, AGAIN.)

oliverhotz
06-29-2015, 12:41 PM
You could use my project switcher plugin, thats part of the OD toolset.. https://vimeo.com/129605219

or.. if you dont care about GUI... you can open the python console and use

import lwsdk
lwsdk.command("SetContent c:\\testproject")

Cageman
06-29-2015, 05:53 PM
Not that I've ever had problems with Content Directories (probably because I'm so used to how LW deals with them).. But that tool looks very nifty, Oliver. Very cool! :thumbsup:

zardoz
06-29-2015, 06:20 PM
In the 21st Century, do we STILL have to CLOSE/RELAUNCH Layout to get it to reset its Content Directory settings?

I never had a problem with the content directory. I've always loaded scenes from diferent content directories and it always worked fine.
What is your issue?

Chrusion
06-30-2015, 09:00 AM
Ditto... no problems. LW 11.6.3+ even asks you if you want to change to the content directory of a scene you're loading that's outside of the currently set con. dir.

zardoz
06-30-2015, 09:49 AM
I've seen this happen with users that don't have it setup correctly.
I use the first method as described in the manual on page 1122:

"Ways to Use the Content Directory
Here are a couple of different ways to use the Content Directory feature:
• Use a separate directory as the Content Directory for every project. You’ll need to create
subdirectories for Objects, Images, and Scenes beneath it. All files relevant to the project
would be stored here. As you change from project to project, you must also change your
Content Directory. (Note that your project could contain a multitude of scenes.)

• Create subdirectories called MyProjects in the Objects, Images, and Scenes subdirectories
that are created when you installed LightWave. (e.g., C:\ Lightwave\ Objects\ MyProjects,
C:\ Lightwave\ Images\ MyProjects, etc.). Then, for each project, create identically named
subdirectories in each of the MyProjects subdirectories and store your files accordingly."

Matt
06-30-2015, 10:45 AM

Not here. You sure you're setting up your content properly?

stiff paper
06-30-2015, 10:53 AM
Doesn't it only do this when you load and save content from/to somewhere outside the set directory structure?

Count me as being in the "Never had a single problem with it" camp.

spherical
06-30-2015, 04:30 PM

Can't we get a real, genuine, grown-up RESET BUTTON?

Perhaps you could elaborate a bit on this, as I can read this a number of ways; all of which don't make sense. I'm in the "never had an issue" group.

"Reset" to what?
And, I thought you were the one who has a default Content Directory tree structure that you copy/paste to start a new project in.

jeric_synergy
06-30-2015, 06:28 PM
I shoulda taken a screenie at the time, but let me try to recall:
OK, as I recall: the issue was that, after having used Layout for a while, I loaded a new scene not in the current directory path. As expected, Layout requested a confirmation that it should change the content directory. That's good. But...
However, the original custom content paths persisted, from the FIRST session, and there was no obvious/easy way to get rid of them. I think I recreated the situation in this screenie, with a new content dir but with old custom paths. --just now, in trying to set to another content dir, I was able to populate the CUSTOM DIRS with a mix of incorrect directories, w/o loading a scene at all. (see pic 2)

This result, getting a mix of custom paths by solely switching the historical selection, can't be right, right?

It LOOKS like maybe, IF there's a non-default path, it gets preserved, but default paths get overwritten. I'd expect that when you switch content directories all the custom paths would get reset. If there's a good reason NOT to do so (existing workflows) I'd like to request a "set custom paths to default", which is slightly different than disabling "Custom Paths". --Or so it seems.

++++++++++++++++

Oh, and since I was in and out of it so often, it became really conspicuous that it would be NICE, VERY nice if Panels would have "tab persistance" -- opening on the same tab they were on when they were dismissed/collapsed.

Personally, that's what I expect from a panel. Closing a panel doesn't RESET it (to the first tab), it merely conceals it. When I see it again, it should be in the same state.

Snosrap
06-30-2015, 08:31 PM
Never had a need to use custom paths myself. Why do you feel you need to set these up?

jeric_synergy
06-30-2015, 09:40 PM
Never had a need to use custom paths myself. Why do you feel you need to set these up?
Actually, I DON'T. I don't think I've ever made one. This is a bug that has to do the auto-detect function and changing the CD via the history triangle and switching CDs mid-session.

You're right, that's something I should have made clear in the first place: since I >don't< make custom paths, the fact that they're popping up is very baffling.

In the above post, #10, what I meant by "original custom paths" was "default paths AS FULL PATHS", not the usual meaning of 'custom paths'.

Now they're gonna revoke my communications degree.....

Snosrap
06-30-2015, 10:30 PM
:) Okay - I think if you uncheck custom paths then, all will be well. Won't it?

jeric_synergy
06-30-2015, 10:37 PM
:) Okay - I think if you uncheck custom paths then, all will be well. Won't it?
Yeah, it'll work with the standard/default dirs then, but the paths will still be in the string fields until next time you launch (IIRC).

This is on the same level as the perennial "How do I clear out unused Surfaces?" design flaw-- it's not necessary, but it'd be nice, and more importantly, it would be CLEAR.

So, I guess what I'm looking for is a "Clear Paths" or "Reset Paths" button. Because USE CUSTOM PATHS is binary, the user may have to do a fair bit of typing if all s/he wants to do is alter/add one path, s/he would still have to clear out the other fields.

OTOH, the behaviour wherein using the history triangle ....INJECTS paths into the custom path fields, that seems more like a straight-out bug. :^\

jeric_synergy
07-01-2015, 12:31 AM
OK, here's another example. Switched as indicated on the image, but the story continues....

So, FINE! :devil: , I'll just turn off "Use Custom Paths". Now, that would imply, --maybe I'm crazy--, that I'm NOT going to use the Custom Paths, I'm going to use the DEFAULT paths.

So, USE CUSTOM PATHS OFF, hit "+" to load an object, and this is what I see:

That's annoying.

lightscape
07-01-2015, 04:18 AM
custom paths off, autodetect on. That's all you have to know.
When starting a session, invoke the paths by loading a lws file everytime you work on different projects.

In other appz its the same problem with paths and different computers with different directory setup. Even plugins/scripts/assets have to be strictly in a particular path and folders to work which in lw it doesn't need to be.

Andy Webb
07-01-2015, 04:53 AM
I don't know if this is connected but if I open a project, load a scene and do an F9 render, choose save and go to my renders folder and save.

Now if I decide to change an image map on a surface, open the surface and click to load, say a new bump map, the render folder opens NOT the image folder.

Essentially LW goes to the last used folder, very frustrating to say the least.

jeric_synergy
07-01-2015, 07:02 AM
Essentially LW goes to the last used folder, very frustrating to say the least.
Seconded.

jeric_synergy
07-01-2015, 06:17 PM
Dammit! Bit me again, this time through Modeler.

VERY damn annoying. :cursin:

jeric_synergy
07-21-2015, 07:51 PM
BUMP: oh, here's another piece of anecdata:

I was glaring at my PATHS tab, which was pointing at the correct folder, but Layout kept opening the root ContDir instead of following the default paths. CUSTOM PATHS was off.

The fields of the unused custom paths were filled with path names to somewhere I didn't want.

I thought a bit, and rather randomly clicked the Content Directory button and RE-SELECTED the same directory.

At this point, all the fields were cleared, and refilled with the default sub-path names.

So, if you're ever in this situation, you can re-designate the Content Directory to the same directory, and it will clear/reset all the custom folder name fields.

I would expect that if CUSTOM PATHS is OFF, default paths would be used, but it seems that is not the case, and Layout goes to the root of the Content Directory.

spherical
07-21-2015, 11:20 PM
I would expect that if CUSTOM PATHS is OFF, default paths would be used, but it seems that is not the case, and Layout goes to the root of the Content Directory.

You may expect that but, it's not all that out of the box to think that something must be changed in that dialogue for the config file to be written to. Apparently, without my wanting to mess up MY configs to test this, that flag merely enabled/disables the input fields in that dialogue and does nothing to the actual settings that they may or may not contain. That this is something that needs addressing by the Devs is agreed, as it is unintuitive... as is MUCH of the LightWave interface. (Reference the thread onpanels not opening by default upon application launch.) Hence, there's a strong argument for a person to be brought on board who is dedicated to ferreting out these anomalies and FIXING THEM. I thought that Matt was that individual.