PDA

View Full Version : how do i create a completly round circle?

MagMa
06-29-2015, 04:13 AM
I have a project i did a long time ago but i recently discovered i have to do it over again.

The model is a fish in roe,

however the roe does not appear completly round. The roe also appears to be black when i exported it as a targa sequence.

As Iīm far from an expert i donīt really understand why this happens.

I posted some pictures of how it looks in lightwave 3d aswell as the Targa sequence in after effects.

Iīm thankful for all help. :)

http://i.imgur.com/xAEJB6y.png

http://i.imgur.com/BXxEJ1B.png

Lewis
06-29-2015, 06:13 AM
select your sphere (in modeler) and hit TAB key.

Sensei
06-29-2015, 07:26 AM
Your model is too low poly. Turning it to Sub-Patches, as Lewis mentioned, is the easiest way to fix it, from the state it's currently.
The next time you should consider making higher poly count since beginning. Especially if it will be complex mesh, not easily turnable to sub-patches in the middle of work..

prometheus
06-29-2015, 11:26 AM
Somethings a bit whacked up by the op thread title.
Circle? Itīs a sphere. :)

as already mentioned, for organic and smooth things, start using them as subpatches by hitting the tab key, there is a control in modeler in general options where you set the level of subpatch divisions.
Subpatches is a form of a way to interpolate geometry and make things smoother by applying a non destructive division modifier, so you can go back and forth from the original geometry to the subpatched division to smooth things out.
it is similar to simply divide the geometry with the metaform tool, but with metaform you are freezing the divisions directly when using it, and you canīt go back to a previous level except undoing of course.

with subpatches, you can in layout set display level and render level, so you can move around in layout with faster movements that donīt affect the scene in speed, so you can set a very low display level, and instead use a higher value for camera subpatch level.

Note ...there is also a toggle on of subpatches in layout...in the modeler tools geometry tab, called toggle subpatches, in fact you can create a sphere or a flat ground and hit the toggle subpatch in there, it would work too on objects created in layout, just remember to save the objects in layout.

There are two forms of subpatches, the standard and catmull clark, catmull clark can use ngons (polys with more than four sides)

Beware...the subpatch shortcut command isnīt the same in modeler and in layout, in modeler it is tab, and in layout the tab key controls the show and hide windows, you could of course edit your shortcuts so they are consistent if you want.

You can also freeze your subpatches if needed, in case you need extra polydetail on the surface to model, or in case you need to print out the model, itīs in the construct tab/convert/freeze or use the shortcut ctrl-d.

Michael

prometheus
06-29-2015, 11:32 AM
select your sphere (in modeler) and hit TAB key.

use toggle subpatch command in layout works too:)

jeric_synergy
06-29-2015, 11:39 AM
Black? the image you posted isn't black. That said, you probably want to INCREASE the transparency a bit to more clearly see the fish.

If you are RAY TRACING REFRACTION, you might have the index of refraction too high-- try starting at a very low index, ~1.01, for starters. Too much refraction will result in a black image.

TARGA is a very old format: while it will probably work, you can use a more modern format and get all the advantages of TARGA and non of the downsides. Personally, I suggest PNG, which supports 32 bit files and lossless compression.