PDA

View Full Version : Image Rotation

jeric_synergy
06-28-2015, 10:01 PM
Is there anyway BESIDES using a Reference Object to rotate or flip an image map?

I think it'd be reasonably handy to be able to rotate in 90° increments and flipX/flipY in the Image Editor.

ernpchan
06-28-2015, 10:15 PM
Dpkit might have something in nodes.

jeric_synergy
06-29-2015, 01:07 AM
No biggy: just seems like something we SHOULD have, in the Image Editor. Very basic stuff.

Sensei
06-29-2015, 07:28 AM
It is possible to implement things like this as Image Filter added in Image Editor filters tab..

MSherak
06-29-2015, 01:52 PM
Is there anyway BESIDES using a Reference Object to rotate or flip an image map?

I think it'd be reasonably handy to be able to rotate in 90° increments and flipX/flipY in the Image Editor.

If it is projection based (non-UV) then yes you can rotate and flip to your hearts content on the applied coordinates with no need of using a reference null. Just use a negative value in the scale to flip and the degree in the rotation to spin. A reference object is there so it can be used to override the texture coordinates inputs. So whatever you can do with a reference you can type in the inputs.

Lewis
06-30-2015, 11:56 PM
If it is projection based (non-UV) then yes you can rotate and flip to your hearts content on the applied coordinates with no need of using a reference null. Just use a negative value in the scale to flip and the degree in the rotation to spin. A reference object is there so it can be used to override the texture coordinates inputs. So whatever you can do with a reference you can type in the inputs.

I'm pretty sure he was referring to Image Editor panel - Editing TAB there has no such thing as scale/rotate... Only Gamma, Brigthness, Contrast, Saturation, Hue. ? Background images options also don't have rotate, you can type in negative value in Scale field and it will flip it vertically or add negative to fixed aspect to flip it horizontally but no way to tilt by degrees user wants ?

Then again maybe Jeric asked somethign different and i didn't understood it right ?

jeric_synergy
07-01-2015, 12:17 AM
No, that's pretty much correct.

prometheus
07-01-2015, 08:13 AM
I canīt chime in with the necessarity of having flip or rotating in the image editor, you can live without it it and rotate or flip it where the image is to be assigned, without risking to screw up other items using the same image.
all surfaces, nodes, textured environment got image scaling and rotating...so I really donīt see the necessarity of it all...does it really speed up the workflow and makes it easier?

JoePoe
07-01-2015, 08:19 AM
I canīt chime in with the necessarity of having flip or rotating in the image editor, you can live without it it and rotate or flip it where the image is to be assigned, without risking to screw up other items using the same image.
all surfaces, nodes, textured environment got image scaling and rotating...so I really donīt see the necessarity of it all...does it really speed up the workflow and makes it easier?

You answered your own question, yes? :)
What if you want to do a global change everywhere the image is used ;).

Sensei
07-01-2015, 08:22 AM

In foreground image, background image, backdrop, everywhere there is just image picker without texture editor (or node editor), you might find it useful.
But I agree, it's not absolutely must have function. Never needed to do it by myself.

Lewis
07-01-2015, 08:27 AM
Guys you might be missing point or rather intented usage here. Dont think just as texture in mind, often I model times with bleuprints as backgrounds in 4 (think as car blueprints, they often come as single image)i views and sometime they aren't great or flipped/ tilted so it would be much nicer to be able to do that natively at image editor than going on in pshop an save new blueprints. But even if used as other image texture you can always instance/clone image at image editor to prevent messing up possible usage in some surface or other usage. So it is not grounbreak feature but every help to do things more quick is good feature IMHO. Heck i would like to get crop tool there also so icould use single image .

I never understood why do some users object to feature requests/new tool ideasfrom other users.

Sure you migh never need that feature but its not like you have to use it in your workflow but someone else can and since it's not interferi g with yours why argue :)?

prometheus
07-01-2015, 10:22 AM
You answered your own question, yes? :)
What if you want to do a global change everywhere the image is used ;).

use photoshop..then reload..or use other image editors available...

Quicktime picture viewer has mirroring and rotating, ACDsee can do it to without any big fuzz...no big deal, sure...I might have been biased towards myself, of course..it might be welcome for many users obviously to have image editor flip or rotate, but for me I donīt see any big point in it, I rather see a constrain fix in all y,x,z channels so we donīt have to enter a uniform value three times every god D ..time that is needed.
Of course..a fix donīt need to exclude another fix in other areas.

Michael

prometheus
07-01-2015, 10:24 AM
Guys you might be missing point or rather intented usage here. Dont think just as texture in mind, often I model times with bleuprints as backgrounds in 4 (think as car blueprints, they often come as single image)i views and sometime they aren't great or flipped/ tilted so it would be much nicer to be able to do that natively at image editor than going on in pshop an save new blueprints. But even if used as other image texture you can always instance/clone image at image editor to prevent messing up possible usage in some surface or other usage. So it is not grounbreak feature but every help to do things more quick is good feature IMHO. Heck i would like to get crop tool there also so icould use single image .

I never understood why do some users object to feature requests/new tool ideasfrom other users.

Sure you migh never need that feature but its not like you have to use it in your workflow but someone else can and since it's not interferi g with yours why argue :)?

You could rotate, flip the image in textured environment, then render it out, reload in to modeler, that way you donīt have to bother entering photoshop:D :devil:

prometheus
07-01-2015, 10:30 AM
Guys you might be missing point or rather intented usage here. Dont think just as texture in mind, often I model times with bleuprints as backgrounds in 4 (think as car blueprints, they often come as single image)i views and sometime they aren't great or flipped/ tilted so it would be much nicer to be able to do that natively at image editor than going on in pshop an save new blueprints.

You are way ahead of me in modeling and with that all experience...but I donīt know about this, why donīt you just use the minus values in either size and automatic size, that way you can flip image either verticly or horizontally, and here I am talking about hidden functions in the display backdrop modeler setup, not the standard surface texture editing.

prometheus
07-01-2015, 10:47 AM
Guys you might be missing point or rather intented usage here. Dont think just as texture in mind, often I model times with bleuprints as backgrounds in 4 (think as car blueprints, they often come as single image)i views and sometime they aren't great or flipped/ tilted so it would be much nicer to be able to do that natively at image editor than going on in pshop an save new blueprints.

You are way ahead of my in modeling...but I donīt know about this, why donīt you just use the minus values in either size and automatic size, that way you can flip image either verticly or horizontally, then again..agreed, not everyone knows about that..and for newbies a no no, so a simple flip verticly or horizontally button might do it...thou not super necessary, but why not..maybe I should flip my mind about these things :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvTgkaxG2Bc

Lewis
07-01-2015, 11:47 AM
You are way ahead of me in modeling and with that all experience...but I donīt know about this, why donīt you just use the minus values in either size and automatic size, that way you can flip image either verticly or horizontally, and here I am talking about hidden functions in the display backdrop modeler setup, not the standard surface texture editing.

Did you read my first reply ? I guess not :)?

And yeah I didn't get answer to my question (I'm really curious). WHY do one user objects to Feature Request of other user (in this case Jerics' FR) ??'
If you don't have anythign to contribute to his request why undermine it by saying it's not needed ? We all have different workflows and there is no right and wrong on as long as you get result oyu want but If we all do that (only want our workflow features) then we would repyl to each others Feature Requests sying "Nahh i don't need that, lets get something else instead....." :) :)?

prometheus
07-01-2015, 11:53 AM

What did I miss, after A comes?

- - - Updated - - -

And yeah I didn't get answer to my question (I'm really curious). WHY do one user objects to Feature Request of other user (in this case Jerics' FR) ??'
If you don't have anythign to contribute to his request why undermine it by saying it's not needed ? We all have different workflows and there is no right and wrong on as long as you get result oyu want but If we all do that (only want our workflow features) then we would repyl to each others Feature Requests sying "Nahh i don't need that, lets get something else instead....." :) :)?

I didnīt say itīs not needed, I said I donīt see the point of it...thatīs a different thing.

Undermine? well ..if someone is sober enough...especially the lw team..I am pretty sure they have the skills to decide whatīs important based on not one..but two opinions and also their own thoughts about it.

Lewis
07-01-2015, 12:04 PM
What did I miss, after A comes?
- - - Updated - - -

I said same thign that we can flip it by negative values but i also explained it can't be tilted/rotated.

I didnīt say itīs not needed, I said I donīt see the point of it...thatīs a different thing.

What's the difference ? You also said you are not that much in modeling to see need for it, well I do a lot of modeling every day and i would find it usefull (Jeric obviously also needs it) so why undermining the feature YOU don't need ? What is the benefit in such reply that you see ? I'm really interested to hear what drives users to such replys ? Is it just to increase post number then or what (not liek you need more posts , me included ;))? Nohing personal, sorry if you think I'm attacking you (I'm not) but i see similar "we dont' need that.." responses way too often o this forum.

I gave you point and explained I also wanted to get similar features many times (I'd also like handles for scaling BG images (like in modo) instead silly Size value what we have which rarely has relation to number it says).

I'm just saying noone should undermine other user FR, let the DEV team decide WHAT is needed and what not (they most of time have different importance list than many of us do so let's not put other users FRs further down that list ;)).

jeric_synergy
07-01-2015, 12:10 PM
Obviously, we've gotten along without this feature for a longggggg time. But it's SUCH a low level feature, and easy to implement, it's like not having, oh, handles on drawers or something-- you can get by w/o them, but it's nicer. (EDIT: Better example- "Do we really NEED the Image Invert switch? After all, why not invert an image in PShop and store that version???")

As to the question by prometheus about screwing up an image that's globally used: we ALREADY have a methodology to duplicate and adjust multiple instances of the same image with different processing applied to them within Layout: the IMAGE CLONE feature.

It's just such a weird shortcoming: when whoever was coding the Image Processing panel, isn't FLIP L/R, U/D the easiest operation to code?
And as Lewis points out, it would be convenient in multiple uses.

It's classic low-hanging fruit.

prometheus
07-01-2015, 12:15 PM
I said same thign that we can flip it by negative values but i also explained it can't be tilted/rotated.

What's the difference ? You also said you are not that much in modeling to see need for it, well I do a lot of modeling every day and i would find it usefull (Jeric obviously also needs it) so why undermining the feature YOU don't need ? What is the benefit in such reply that you see ? I'm really interested to hear what drives users to such replys ? Is it just to increase post number then or what (not liek you need more posts , me included ;))? Nohing personal, sorry if you think I'm attacking you (I'm not) but i see similar "we dont' need that.." responses way too often o this forum.

I gave you point and explained I also wanted to get similar features many times (I'd also like handles for scaling BG images (like in modo) instead silly Size value what we have which rarely has relation to number it says).

I'm just saying noone should undermine other user FR, let the DEV team decide WHAT is needed and what not (they most of time have different importance list than many of us do so let's not put other users FRs further down that list ;)).

You are right about the first part, missed the rotate option..that is something I can see valuable in the modelers display options.

You are stating wrong in my comments....I never said I do to little modeling to see the use of it...I mentioned I am not in the same leage and experience in modeling as you..with regards to that I thought you missed the flip thingy in modeler display..not in relation to how the function would be of use for modeling, just with relation to you should perhaps know that with your experience.

the other parts..you are reading to much in between the lines of my comments and project your own values in what I have mentioned.
It wasnīt written as hard written in to stone, the difference is I felt it was of no big issue....not saying it can be of some value to others...but the amount of value of it VS how it can be solved with other vays to do it.

the difference is that I can say it may not be of no big need..for me, the question should remain open that it might be needed for others...I didnīt state anything else and it canīt be interpreted as such.

As mentioned...itīs not a question of undermining, I am putting forth opinions and thoughts about it...and if the lw team canīt be sober to analyze what is needed or not needed, then it could be a question of undermining, then again..if they canīt analyze the difference, then thereīs n point of no one Ever giving opinions at all about things here on the forums is it?
My intentions was not to undermine, please donīt make a chicken out of a feather with this.

Lewis
07-01-2015, 12:26 PM
....so I really donīt see the necessarity of it all...does it really speed up the workflow and makes it easier?

Well prometheus in upper quote you say it's not underming (and i belive that was not your intention trully) but i've read that sentence of yours few times and it does sound to me like as undermining or at least neglecting importance of other users FR/workflow. I'm not saying we don't need opinions but you could express it different, you coudld say more like "I tend to use negative vlaues in scale and aspect ration when i need to flip images but i don't work with blueprints much so not using that feature too often..." or along such lines.

BUT anyway it's not gonna happeny anytime soon (that feature) so no point of debating further anyway :).

prometheus
07-01-2015, 12:33 PM
Well prometheus in upper quote you say it's not underming (and i belive that was not your intention trully) but i've read that sentence of yours few times and it does sound to me like as undermining or at least neglecting importance of other users FR/workflow. I'm not saying we don't need opinions but you could express it different, you coudld say more like "I tend to use negative vlaues in scale and aspect ration when i need to flip images but i don't work with blueprints much so not using that feature too often..." or along such lines.

BUT anyway it's not gonna happeny anytime soon (that feature) so no point of debating further anyway :).

thereīs a thing about these forums, If I say..I see not point of it, users can come in and explain why it is of importance, that way it may indeed help the lw team to recognize the issues, so in a sense ..me objecting to it being a good point and the following comments on why it is of importance..that has a function of value and it is of no "undermining" relavance.

I simple didnīt think it was supposed to be interpreted as ill intentions when writning my comment about it, I might have been fast to write it down in plain and simple, without giving it to much of proper expression to avoid misunderstandings.

I thought it was clear that I donīt go in to these forums with ill intentions and undermining others, then I wouldnīt be here to help out some guys with questions, you might be right about me maybe could have expressed it differently, then again I do think the respons with stating it to be undermining is out of proportions. you could argue as you said..my intentions wasnīt to undermine, but if the very question by itself undermines the thread starters workflow and feature requests?

jeric_synergy
07-01-2015, 12:38 PM
As to responding: while I bash existing features pretty much mercilessly, there's little POINT in denigrating Feature Requests: the devs are so disinclined to implement ANY suggestion, that pointing out perceived negatives is redundant. To the contrary, the devs need non-obvious ADVANTAGES pointed out to them, as Lewis did above, before they will even consider most suggestions. (It's not like they aren't awash in suggestions.) --OR they need to see a wide based support for a feature, so they can get a feel for what features would be welcomed with cries of joy.)

So, save your breath for suggesting implementation methods so that if a given request DOES get delivered, it's slick and it rocks. And is consistent with the rest of the UI. :D

(I threw in that last because the CURVE node seems to be very inconsistent-- RMB seems quite neglected.)

prometheus
07-01-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote of you ...
"
BUT anyway it's not gonna happeny anytime soon (that feature) so no point of debating further anyway . "
why not..what do you base that assumption on?

jwiede
07-08-2015, 12:32 PM
why not..what do you base that assumption on?

History, for start.

prometheus
07-08-2015, 02:53 PM
History, for start.

Thatīs what I thought ...but did not dare to suggest..
history tells us things change from time to time, you canīt predict when unless having enough information about it, history alone that nothing has changed is a very uncertain assumption...In my opinion....the very statement
that ..it wonīt happen anytime soon, (feels like a given up request mostly) well...it might work as incitament for the lw team if they notice it and decides to put it on the agenda.

But hey..nevermind my backwards thinking...I often tend to think the opposite or make things more complex when opinions might be unclear from others :D

so by history we know that changes and improvements in hypervoxels wonīt be happening anytime soon right? itīs well documented history,nothing changes...right ? :D
All that is more a true statement to me Wanting it to happen rather than what actually will happen.

One thing...only history will tell what happened..in the future:stumped:

MSherak
07-08-2015, 06:19 PM
Feature: Load and image and be able to hit a flip or rotate button in the image editor.

Problem: This means wherever this image is applied a flag would have to be set where it could tell the image editor how to set it. So now we need to add a new flag to nodes, surfaces, object format, panels, etc. basically anywhere an image can be applied. Now which gets priority on an image?? Surface, Backdrop, etc. Cause remember an image can be used anywhere and as many times as you like. This would take tons of code just to get something like this in place. But in the long run since NOTHING can modify the image in the image editor except the image editor itself this feature is dead to work this way.

Never modify the original, modify how it is applied. - good rule of thumb

Try this. Load an image. Clone it. Add Texture Filter to it under Processing. Open the plugin. Add Value procedural to blank the image. Add the original image to another layer and scale, rotate and move to your hearts content. This is a loop so be careful. But this clone can be assigned and if you want to change the original you can and the clone updates. All works within the system. It it easy? No. But this is what happens internally for that button.

Now what could be done since we do have CLONE image in the image editor is to have a processing plugin that can be assigned to do just this but with buttons. This would make more sense since the plugin flag is already in place and could be assigned to work during loads and saves. Now you have the best of both worlds..

Sensei
07-08-2015, 06:20 PM
Feature: Load and image and be able to hit a flip or rotate button in the image editor.

I am making it right now..

jeric_synergy
07-08-2015, 08:19 PM
Problem: This means wherever this image is applied a flag would have to be set where it could tell the image editor how to set it.

Buddy, you KNOW we already have a feature that takes care of differing processing occurring on image instances, right? Image clone? Rotations and flips are just an extension of the existing processing feature.

MSherak
07-09-2015, 10:55 AM
Buddy, you KNOW we already have a feature that takes care of differing processing occurring on image instances, right? Image clone? Rotations and flips are just an extension of the existing processing feature.

Yes, but do we have an image process that does what you are asking for (flipping, rotation, tiling, etc..)?? Nope, hence why this thread is here.

It's easier to add something as a plugin than a core feature and get the same result. True, ideally what you would really want is in all areas where an image can be used would be these buttons, not in the image editor. But for now you can use a negative number on the texture coordinates to achieve just that. But since most users never experiment and just take things at face value they do not know that you can do this. It's just math and for some they need a button to do it for them. Not knocking them.

So lets take this example of how just adding flip buttons to the image editor causes all kinds of code re-writing not to mention problems. So you load and image. You hit a flip button for x axis in the image editor. You assign it to a surface. Now where does this flag get stored?? On the surface. So this means now there are flags that get stored on the surface for each button in the image editor so a surface can say to the image editor, flip the image in the x axis and/or whatever buttons it has. Object loaded fine and the surface told the image editor to flip it and the shows up on the surface just the way you wanted. Now lets say you had another object that used that same image but did not have it flipped. For some reason you load it into the scene. Question becomes, which one gets to tell the image to flip?? Cause you want it one way on one object and another way on the other.

Since currently in the SDK we do have the ability attach a process plugin to an image or clone with the current system, you never run into the scenario above. Hence why Sensei posted his message. I'm not arguing that it should not be done to the core. There are other things I would love to see when it comes to images applied. Like UV tiling to use float instead of integer and the ability to go under 1. Animated UV's tied to an envelope. Many other things. These are core features that need to be addressed and in some ways they have been ever since they added the node editor. But it needs to be done right. Again.. Never modify the original, modify how it is applied.

Lewis
07-09-2015, 12:09 PM
Yes, but do we have an image process that does what you are asking for (flipping, rotation, tiling, etc..)?? Nope, hence why this thread is here.

Ok I'll bite, How do you rotate image by let say 21 degress ?

Sensei
07-09-2015, 12:20 PM
Ok I'll bite, How do you rotate image by 21 degress ?

Using TrueArt's Transform Filter plugin ;)
http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=128885&d=1436465965

Lewis
07-09-2015, 12:21 PM

That's not what I've asked. He (MSherak) states there is rotation NATIVE.

BTW, as for your plugin, can you show non rotated version 'coz it looks weird that it's clipping the image and leaving black empty space ??

Sensei
07-09-2015, 12:29 PM
LW Image Filter plugin cannot change original image dimensions, just content.
So there would be needed yet another tool which would ask user for which image, and new dimensions, and new file path. And make copy. And extend image to new size, to not clipping it.

He (MSherak) states there is rotation NATIVE.

That's not what he said.. There were "???" at the end of his sentence..
He said exactly reverse.

gerry_g
07-09-2015, 01:09 PM
some kind of manipulator widget for the positioning rotating and scaling of applied image maps is not without its merits but that withstanding what is wrong with placing said image on separate geometry just above original surface with clip map if needed and scaling rotating resizing over the top of the original like a decal, either that or something that is easier done in Modo there you have all tools available at the same time, which is to do a quick uv map of your plane and manipulate the uv's not the image, any of the things you want to do would be possible that way, whole argument seems to be a mountain made from a molehill to me, I did read most of the thread, maybe I've just missed something.

Lewis
07-09-2015, 03:03 PM
Sensei- check the name - ROTATION

But either ay I'm out of this disucssion. Some LW users need to learn how to STOP messing with other users Feature Requests, Some are behaving like they are wiriting the code so whatever they don't need or like it's not worth DEVs time. Huh.

Unsubscribe......

MSherak
07-09-2015, 06:43 PM
Ok I'll bite, How do you rotate image by let say 21 degress ?
Really??? At the texture coordinates of an image. Type it in on the rotation tab of the texture editor or use a node. If you are referring to the Image editor, nowhere. Hence all this talk on this thread.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=128885&d=1436465965
Friggin awesome!!! Just awesome!!!! Nice that you coded this in one night. Off of a description no less.. I'll get there one day.. Some days though I want to kick the SDK right in the ***. Can we download this yet???

That's not what I've asked. He (MSherak) states there is rotation NATIVE.

BTW, as for your plugin, can you show non rotated version 'coz it looks weird that it's clipping the image and leaving black empty space ??
Yes, Rotation is native to texture coordinates which can be done in the texture or node editor. Where else do you think I said it was??

And that is the correct way it should look if you were to rotate the source image. Terms for the artists, just like in Photoshop if you select a whole layer and rotate it. The image size does not change, but the content is rotated and it will clip. This will happen unless you change the size of the image just like in PS. And currently from what I can see there is no way the image editor can generate or change the size of an image.

LW Image Filter plugin cannot change original image dimensions, just content.
So there would be needed yet another tool which would ask user for which image, and new dimensions, and new file path. And make copy. And extend image to new size, to not clipping it.

That's not what he said.. There were "???" at the end of his sentence..
He said exactly reverse.

Yup and here lies the problem with doing all these functions in the image editor and not at the texture coordinates. (And thank you Sensei for both)..

Sensei- check the name - ROTATION
But either ay I'm out of this disucssion. Some LW users need to learn how to STOP messing with other users Feature Requests, Some are behaving like they are wiriting the code so whatever they don't need or like it's not worth DEVs time. Huh.

Unsubscribe......

???? Don't know where that is coming from, or who is messing with what?? Sensei just made the features as a plugin and your complaining?? Wow, grow up..

Sensei
07-09-2015, 07:11 PM
MSherak, empty some private-msg ;)

MSherak
07-10-2015, 10:38 AM
MSherak, empty some private-msg ;)

Done

MrFurious
07-28-2015, 07:12 PM

Exactly. If it's UV mapped you have no option but to either A) deform the mesh with a negative scale value if its a simple billboard etc. (this sux when you want to 'H' scale it later, doesn't scale properly if there's a negative value there dont get me started on scaling in LW) or B) as lewis said edit in PS and replace in LW. Both are unneccesary workarounds. A simple flipH or flipV toggle would be ideal and totally agree with Juric this must be a simple thing to add so.... why not? Been wanting this for a long time.

Also while were at it.. UV scale multiplier and/or offsets in the surface editor please!

tonyrizo2003
07-28-2015, 08:34 PM
Sensei, that is very cool!!

MrFurious
07-29-2015, 08:14 AM
+1 cheers Sensei, very useful.

erikals
07-29-2015, 03:50 PM
Try this. Load an image. Clone it. Add Texture Filter to it under Processing. Open the plugin. Add Value procedural to blank the image. Add the original image to another layer and scale, rotate and move to your hearts content. This is a loop so be careful. But this clone can be assigned and if you want to change the original you can and the clone updates. All works within the system. It it easy? No. But this is what happens internally for that button.

Texture Filter - was thinking the same...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_LuTXI2Vog