PDA

View Full Version : Siggraph?

danielkaiser
06-27-2015, 04:21 PM
LW3DG, Newtek?

erikals
06-28-2015, 03:54 AM
hard to say, maybe they will do something like last year ?

https://www.lightwave3d.com/siggraph_2014

10:00 LightWave 2014 Show Reel
11:00 Steve McArdle --- Light Painting
12:00 Studio Profile --- Platinum Platypus
01:00 William Vaughan --- Fixing Symmetry When Working Off Origin

10:00 Louis Du Mont --- CG Water
11:00 Meni Things --- Profile of a Viral Video Artist
12:00 Why LightWave?
01:00 William Vaughan --- Creating Holes in a Sub-D Mesh

10:00 Neil Maccormack --- Lighting Outdoor Concept Art Scene
11:00 Richard Mans --- Abiogenesis and Artist Interview
12:00 Ryan Roye --- Symmetrical Editing in Layout

Nicolas Jordan
06-28-2015, 11:16 AM
I'm sure they will do something or at least have some sort of promotion around that time.

hrgiger
06-29-2015, 09:48 AM
Well they asked for content so I'm sure they're putting a reel together. But doubt they'll have a presence at Siggraph.

Davewriter
06-29-2015, 08:51 PM
Not to sound too Machiavellian (though I'm about to) the LA Convention site is a stupidly expensive place if you are an exhibitor. Unless you are in town... and can play the wait 'em out game. Get the sq ' price down a couple more bucks - then sign up.
There could still be some hope.

erikals
06-30-2015, 01:33 AM
Exhibition Floor Plan

http://s2015.siggraph.org/sites/default/files/SIGGRAPH%202015%20Floor%20Plan.pdf

calilifestyle
06-30-2015, 01:58 AM
Dang i was really hoping LW3d LAG was going to showing off some cool things. They should be partnering up like Modo use to. I don't see autodesk booth either. Still time i guess

pinkmouse
06-30-2015, 03:37 AM
I hate to say it, but from many years working in the exhibition industry, not attending major events, (such as Siggraph in this case) has invariably been the first sign that a company is heading down the pan. Many of my old clients, such as Nortel, Marconi, Sony Broadcast, Flag Atlantic, Quantel, Saab, etc. etc., whatever justifications for non-attendance they used, ended up the same way, bankrupt, ceasing trading, bought for asset stripping or majorly downsized.

Just the facts Ma'm, just the facts.

:(

erikals
06-30-2015, 03:42 AM
well, i think NewTek is looking at it from a new point of view, Siggraph is not what it used to be

also LightWave did have the best stand just a few years back

i don't see the danger of skipping a few Siggraphs, even though it's be nice to see of course

also Rob mention it takes a LOT of energy preparing it / having it

pinkmouse
06-30-2015, 03:53 AM
I'm not denying any of your points, they're all valid, just as valid as the ones given by, say, Marconi, the year after we won best stand at ITU in Geneva, and the year before they were made bankrupt.

ianr
06-30-2015, 05:56 AM
RENT A VIRTUAL BOOTH...the way to go surely.

Snosrap
07-01-2015, 10:37 PM
RENT A VIRTUAL BOOTH...the way to go surely.Yep - best bang for the buck. Also why rent a booth when you don't have any exciting news. Hopefully Rob and crew attend and try to recruit some good minds. That would be news worthy for me.

cresshead
07-02-2015, 02:17 PM
maybe we get news of the next version coming soon lightwave 2016 maybe?

also nevronmotion 2.0?

c.1
07-02-2015, 09:27 PM
Well the first Siggy in Vancouver was very cool ( no Newtek ) but the second one was kinda meh! ( again no Newtek ) so I can understand Newtek's descision not to go to the second one but they really "sh$t the bed" by not attending the first one in Vancouver.(IMHO)

50one
07-03-2015, 06:10 AM
Not sure how the things are across the pond, but here/Europe whenever there's a symposium, conference, whatever of high calibre - you're always forced to sign a contact to have presence for the next X years - for instance the medical industry is 5 years, costs are ridiculous and to be honest ROI is very low - but no -one will admit that...I guess it's the same with Siggraph, what's the point of this conference anyway for the software vendors? Innovations, workshops - yes! But software compaies talking about their software? What's the point? 99% people coming to those events are already established artists with preferred tools, these days the info spread faster on Internet anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

maybe we get news of the next version coming soon lightwave 2016 maybe?

also nevronmotion 2.0?

Yes and Chronosculpt 3.0 ;)

Cageman
07-04-2015, 09:59 AM
To be totally honest...

I do not care if NewTek/LW3DG are at Siggraph or not... one of the best reveals they ever did was the VFX Minds (this was to reveal LW11) and that, imho, are money spent well. I rather see LW3DG go their own path and make sure their product is as good as it can be, rather than spending lots of money in a time where they might not have that much new to show.

jasonwestmas
07-04-2015, 01:06 PM
I guess there was a time that going to siggraph was the only way to make a big impression. That's not necessarily the case anymore.

erikals
07-04-2015, 02:14 PM
yeah, too bad, it was a fun ride... http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

Snosrap
07-05-2015, 09:47 AM
I guess there was a time that going to siggraph was the only way to make a big impression. That's not necessarily the case anymore.

Yep - broadband has changed a lot of things. :)

robertoortiz
07-05-2015, 02:46 PM
Well a ton of bleeding edge new technology is being shown in the conference at the talks.
Tech paper preview
https://youtu.be/XrYkEhs2FdA

Having said that, Newtek would indeed get a more welcoming crowd at NAB.

Cageman
07-05-2015, 03:25 PM
I'm pretty sure that LW3DG will have people at Sig to go to the conferences. Not doing that would be stupid.

That said; LW3DG are clearly "between" releases right now. LW11.x was fantastic (11.x cycle was amazing... it certanly competes with LW9.x cycle in terms of what we got for the money). LW2015 isn't holding a candle compared to 11.x or 9.x, but to put a perspective of this (in a sort of positive spinn) is that, LW, throughout the years, have had good cycles and bad cycles in terms of what users get for their money. All in all, and with this perspective in mind, I still feel like I am stealing money from LW3DG.

So, I think it is very, very wise of LW3DG to not attend Siggraph this year (as in having their own booth).

Maybe they will have a presence though? Showing some cool stuff over at Intel, maybe? Maybe showing Octane for LW over at Octane booth or NVidia booth? Who knows? :)

Chris S. (Fez)
07-05-2015, 08:12 PM
Maybe they will surprise us with a point release.

realgray
07-05-2015, 10:18 PM
Maybe they will surprise us with a point release.

I hope so.

I also think the Octane plugin is mighty impressive and should be shown interacting with more features. The dev seems to be doing a stellar job with its implementation.

Thomas Leitner
07-06-2015, 02:08 AM
Well they asked for content so I'm sure they're putting a reel together. But doubt they'll have a presence at Siggraph.
Because the deadline for sending the content is the 31st of August, it cannot be for Siggraph ( https://www.lightwave3d.com/news/article/call-for-content-lightwave-3d-2015-show-reel/ ). Who knows when and how NT wants to present it.

ciao
Thomas

motivalex
07-06-2015, 05:44 PM
7.x was groovy. 8.x was blaaa. 9.x had a lot going on. 10 was skinny. 11.x was nice and bulky. 2015 was slim. There seems to be a pattern maybe??? My guess is that the next release will be major and worth more promotional investment and shouting about and they will be at Siggy next year instead.

danielkaiser
07-06-2015, 06:22 PM
7.x was groovy. 8.x was blaaa. 9.x had a lot going on. 10 was skinny. 11.x was nice and bulky. 2015 was slim. There seems to be a pattern maybe??? My guess is that the next release will be major and worth more promotional investment and shouting about and they will be at Siggy next year instead.

They seem to have the Star Trek movie curse, every other one sucks.

AbnRanger
08-09-2015, 02:15 PM
Well they asked for content so I'm sure they're putting a reel together. But doubt they'll have a presence at Siggraph.Which is a bit odd seeing that it's right in their backyard (no traveling expenses to deal with)

AbnRanger
08-09-2015, 02:24 PM
I hope so.

I also think the Octane plugin is mighty impressive and should be shown interacting with more features. The dev seems to be doing a stellar job with its implementation.Yeah....Octane seems to pick up where FPrime left off...as LW's saving grace. They should promote the heck out of that, and TFD working with VPR. But, on the other hand, it makes LW3DG look too reliant on plugins, in order to make it relevant in the industry. So, there's that. :)

They need to build their own TFD type of sim system and perhaps nodal partcles.

danielkaiser
08-09-2015, 03:01 PM
Which is a bit odd seeing that it's right in their backyard (no traveling expenses to deal with)

Sad they wont be there, even sadder no free passes to be had was going to take the Metro link just to be able to afford it, fixed income and all that. maybe next year.

Chris S. (Fez)
08-09-2015, 11:19 PM
Pretty nice 3rd Powers Siggraph promo but no point release so far: https://www.lightwave3d.com/buy-lightwave-3rd-powers/

meatycheesyboy
08-10-2015, 11:19 AM
Pretty nice 3rd Powers Siggraph promo but no point release so far: https://www.lightwave3d.com/buy-lightwave-3rd-powers/

2015.3 is out now. I just logged into lightwave3d.com and took a look at the change log (link below) but haven't had a chance to download/install yet.

http://static.lightwave3d.com/downloads/installers/lightwave_2015/lightwave_2015-3_change-log_20150809.txt

Davewriter
08-10-2015, 08:05 PM
Sad they wont be there, even sadder no free passes to be had was going to take the Metro link just to be able to afford it, fixed income and all that. maybe next year.

I think this is still working, if you still want to make the trek :)

https://www.thefoundry.co.uk/events/siggraph-2015/

danielkaiser
08-11-2015, 12:45 AM
I think this is still working, if you still want to make the trek :)

https://www.thefoundry.co.uk/events/siggraph-2015/

Thanks but they changed that link over to their live web cast.

Here's a little example of what were missing.

gatz
08-11-2015, 10:35 AM
When will I learn to wait?

Any plans for bundle discounts for the premature upgraders.

jasonwestmas
08-11-2015, 07:52 PM
and perhaps nodal partcles.

mmmmm nodal particles. :D I'd buy that.

DonJMyers
08-15-2015, 12:43 PM
I don't want to network or get a local job (WHAT local jobs?). So I ended up not going even though I live here.

CGI is stable now. There is not much "wow new" factor like when people morphed in the "Black and WHite" Michael Jackson video years ago.

The internet now performs some of the functions that trade shows used to have to themselves.

The Hwd Reporter has barely mentioned events at the trade show so far.

They have gotten smaller every year.

So this year I was busy and it was hot and I didn't go.

danielkaiser
08-15-2015, 02:32 PM
I don't want to network or get a local job (WHAT local jobs?). So I ended up not going even though I live here.

CGI is stable now. There is not much "wow new" factor like when people morphed in the "Black and WHite" Michael Jackson video years ago.

The internet now performs some of the functions that trade shows used to have to themselves.

The Hwd Reporter has barely mentioned events at the trade show so far.

They have gotten smaller every year.

So this year I was busy and it was hot and I didn't go.

Siggraph is so much more than CGI, there's engineering, interactivity, VR, simulation, AI, 3D printing, robotics, craftsmanship and just the shear artistry of it all. If you think you have nothing more to learn then i suggest that you stir up that (stable) errr.... stagnant pond you live in, just so the mosquitos don't take over. No offence intended but any one that thinks that they have nothing more to learn needs to find a tar pit to crawl into and how can someone properly animate a roast beef dinner without having some understanding of the fluid dynamics of gravy (Sorry I'm hungry).

Chris S. (Fez)
08-15-2015, 04:03 PM
I love all things 3D and would go to every Siggraph if I could. East Coast and inevitable work conflicts makes it extremely difficult for me to get away. I am selfishly glad that the show is moving more and more online but it would be sad indeed if the show ever stopped altogether. We need another New Orleans Siggraph...

The next time Newtek has a booth I am going.

DonJMyers
08-15-2015, 09:09 PM
Siggraph is so much more than CGI, there's engineering, interactivity, VR, simulation, AI, 3D printing, robotics, craftsmanship and just the shear artistry of it all. If you think you have nothing more to learn then i suggest that you stir up that (stable) errr.... stagnant pond you live in.

Oh you are right and those things are great but I can't get a job doing that. And, with the Hollywood "stagnant pond" I live in outsourcing everybody's jobs I have no interest esp. since I'm broke!

I can see videos about that stuff online and I've seen those things before at siggraph. Eventually 3d printing, while cool, is not enough of a draw to go downtown in 95 degree boiling heat. I don't need a car in LA. I'd have to hoof it or ... rent a car? For ******* Siggraph??? So I can walk past the British, Canadian and New Zealand booths advertising jobs if you want to be a gypsy slave and work on a really ****** overbuilt movie like "The Hobbit?" And then get dumped after 3 months when the post is over and move on?

I'd get in a yell fest with them at their booths.

ianr
08-16-2015, 06:13 AM
Oh you are right and those things are great but I can't get a job doing that. And, with the Hollywood "stagnant pond" I live in outsourcing everybody's jobs I have no interest esp. since I'm broke!

I can see videos about that stuff online and I've seen those things before at siggraph. Eventually 3d printing, while cool, is not enough of a draw to go downtown in 95 degree boiling heat. I don't need a car in LA. I'd have to hoof it or ... rent a car? For ******* Siggraph??? So I can walk past the British, Canadian and New Zealand booths advertising jobs if you want to be a gypsy slave and work on a really ****** overbuilt movie like "The Hobbit?" And then get dumped after 3 months when the post is over and move on?

I'd get in a yell fest with them at their booths.

Don, As is your purview,what a wonderful graphic description of La La land.

stiff paper
08-16-2015, 06:37 AM
...For ******* Siggraph??? So I can walk past the British, Canadian and New Zealand booths... ...I'd get in a yell fest with them at their booths.
I miss L.A. almost every day. The VFX business, though? And the studios in particular? Yeah. No. Can't even find words I'm allowed to use.

Siggraph is so much more than CGI, there's engineering, interactivity, VR...
You know, sometimes people aren't much interested in most of those things, and are just into CG. I'd totally had enough of Siggraph by 2001/2002; it was nothing more than a bunch of oleaginous salespeople and a "Ye olde fashion'd jobs fayre." The Intarnetz removed any need for the jobs part and who wants to listen to painfully loud booths staffed by irritating used car salesmen?

Feh. Siggraph is entirely overrated.

...roast beef dinner... ...gravy...
Ack! Do not! Dammit... dammit... now I need food...