PDA

View Full Version : will new lightwave work on old system ?

rednova
06-26-2015, 02:37 PM
Dear Friends:

I am using an old pc, 1.6 ghz + 1 gig ram, running lightwave 9.6
Will the newest version of lightwave upgrade work on my system ?
Please help me !!!

Greenlaw
06-26-2015, 03:53 PM
How well does it run now? If 9.6 runs well for you on your current system, Lightwave 2015 will probably run about as well. I think RAM may be your biggest limitation. I wouldn't expect to create scenes that are much more complex than what you're doing now with 9.6. 2015 does render faster in general but I'm not sure how much faster it will be on that processor. If render/processing speed isn't too important, the new features can still give you a lot more capability--VPR, Bullet, Instancer, Spline Control, improved lighting, faster/better rendering, better FBX support, and much more.

One very important issue to consider is your OS--which OS are you currently running on? I'm not sure what the minimum OS requirement is now. The website says Windows 8.1 but I know that's wrong because I'm mainly running LightWave 2015 on Windows 7. My guess is that XP support may have been officially dropped by now since MS no longer supports it either, but I don't know that for certain. Just something to check on before buying.

Hopefully somebody with better info about older systems will post.

G.

Dexter2999
06-26-2015, 04:53 PM
Again, to the point about old PC. Is it 32bit? 64bit?

I would suggest upgrading your RAM if you only have 1Gig.

As a matter of fact the minimum requirement for a 32bit system is listed as 2Gig.

"Minimum System Specifications
Windows™
Hardware
Intel® Core™ 2 or AMD Athlon™ II Processor (or better)
64-bit System RAM: 4GB minimum
32-bit System RAM: 2GB minimum
Available USB Port (for users with existing hardware dongles)
Operating System
64-bit: Windows Vista through Windows 8.1 64-bit Edition
32-bit: Windows Vista through Windows 8.1"

So, the short answer might be "no" at least not well.

Bill Carey
06-27-2015, 08:16 AM
I run it on a dell tablet with 2gig, it works well for lighter models and scenes. Get up to that and it should run.

JonW
06-27-2015, 09:22 AM
The viewports in Layout lock up ram very quickly. So when you are ready to render turn off each viewport. Then relaunch Layout. Also shut every other program.

Screamernet is useful in this situation. You don't have to load the scene at all. So this will save a good percentage of your limited amount of ram. All your files names must have no gaps or SN will spit the dummy.

I'm running XP, 11.6.3 is as far as I have got.

Cageman
06-27-2015, 10:24 AM
Simple answer is NO.

Windows 7+ is your best bet.