PDA

View Full Version : STEAM GREENLIGHT INDIE GAME made using LW - Needs Votes also ;)

SquishyAni
06-25-2015, 06:07 PM
I didn't know where it would be best to post this, since its kind of a different post. If this needs to be moved, please let the mod know, no offense will be taken ;)

I haven't been on the forums lately due to developing an indie PC/Mac game full time for the past 6 months. I wanted to make a new modern game based on the old Apple Macintosh 1-Bit graphics I grew up with. It was where I started making animations with only black or white pixels back when I was a kid. I also wanted to make a game that stood out among all the pixel art (and amazingly talented) games currently being made. The game is currently up for voting on Steam Greenlight. Here is the link with the our first official trailer and if you have a steam account, we would love your vote either yes or no. Any time you can give would be appreciated:

Steam Greenlight Page with Video: http://goo.gl/5zaDzY

OK, Plug over, what I wanted to share also was how I was able to achieve the 1-Bit pixel look. The challenge was making sure every pixel in the game was either Black or White. No mid grey or color whatsoever. Plus I wanted smooth animations, and doing all the sprite frames by hand would takes years. So the solution was of course (wait for it..... ...) Lightwave!

I built a basic Soldier Model (Male and Female) and rigged both using RebelHills Rhiggit (I cannot stress enough how much time was saved using his solid program).

I decided on a camera size for the sprite vs the Gameplay Window which is HD 720p (1280 x 720). Any bigger resolution would lose the PIXEL art aspect and seems to just go to a greyscale look. 720p seemed to be the right size. So the sprite was rendered out of LW using the default Super Cell Shader v2.15. I turned on edge lines to silhouette and surface borders. Then I turned off all anti aliasing, shadows, etc and boom... jagged pixels just like I want. In Photoshop, I had to make specific patterns to emulate the ones I used in Mac Paint back in the late 80s. Using these patterns, I had Photoshop switch out the grey shades from the LW renders with the patterns I chose. I recorded the actions in an automated droplet, and so now I can take all the frames from LW and convert them into 1-Bit by dragging and dropping on my desktop.

Mostly all of the sprites were build and rendered out FIRST in LW. I just wanted to share yet another way LW came through, even for a unique approach on a project. Here are a few more screenshots (and yes, I loved the movie Aliens... inspiration definitely present ;))

Also, for fun... here is the original animation I did when I was a kid. Done with Video Works 2 on my Macintosh SE. I was able to preserve it via screen capture, and all the bad spelling too.

Original Animation I did as a kid:http://squishygames.com/hillcrest/index.html#/5/7

Thank you all for your time, and best of luck with all your endeavors!

ernpchan
06-25-2015, 09:00 PM
This looks great. I love that you went with a style that's often overlooked in video game history. Most people do the 8bit look. Seeing your images took me back to watching my friend play on his old macintosh.

CaptainMarlowe
06-27-2015, 03:05 PM
+1
I definitely like your old Macintosh look. I hope you won't limit yourself to steam, and push your game to the appstore.

SquishyAni
06-27-2015, 07:23 PM
Thank you everyone for taking time to look over my post. And thank you to enchain and CaptainMarlowe for your replies.

We are planning to make a PC/Mac release. Steam is the main push for distribution, but since this is supposed to emulate the apple macintosh, how can I NOT put it on the App Store also:D

tcoursey
06-30-2015, 02:59 PM
Great work! Curious, did Unity or Unreal engine play a part in the development of the game aspect?

SquishyAni
06-30-2015, 05:45 PM
Great work! Curious, did Unity or Unreal engine play a part in the development of the game aspect?

Thank You!

We didn't use Unity or Unreal for the game engine. We are using Gamemaker Studio from Yoyo Games. Its strength is in sprites, and that is the look and art direction we needed to use for Rogue Invader. But, since I'm primarily a 3D guy, I already want to move toward a 3D game next depending on how Rogue Invader does.

ncr100
06-30-2015, 06:29 PM
I like how in the intro vid where you show the Level schematic, and say "slight chance of resistance", there's a baddie added late into the frame who's jumping over all the other doods. It is silly and tickles me.

SquishyAni
06-30-2015, 08:51 PM
I like how in the intro vid where you show the Level schematic, and say "slight chance of resistance", there's a baddie added late into the frame who's jumping over all the other doods. It is silly and tickles me.

LOL. I'm glad you likes that part. That is the animation side coming through that all of us LWers know about. We are definitely making this game have a comedic feel to it. The aliens have large cartoons eyes, and large menacing grins. Oh, and they are jerks to all humans.

probiner
06-30-2015, 10:38 PM
Got my vote :) Good Luck

bobakabob
07-01-2015, 12:18 AM
Brilliant, inspired idea and great character designs.

SquishyAni
07-01-2015, 10:36 PM
Got my vote :) Good Luck

Thank You! Much Appreciated!

Brilliant, inspired idea and great character designs.

I hope that enough people see an old school black and white game as inspired also. Very kind compliment, thank you!

SquishyAni
07-11-2015, 04:57 PM
Exciting Update! We have been GREENLIT on STEAM!

THANK YOU for all your support and votes that helped us get this far!

Now we just have to finish the game. Which is over 60% complete. I'll be sure to update on anything else cool before release!

Again, THANK YOU to everyone!

Greenlaw
07-12-2015, 11:12 AM
Seeing your images took me back to watching my friend play on his old macintosh.
Oh, yeah...the look reminds me of playing Dark Castle on my 512k 'Fat Mac' back in the mid eighties. "nya, nya, nya, nya, nya!" :)

Great retro look!

G.

SquishyAni
07-12-2015, 06:28 PM
Oh, yeah...the look reminds me of playing Dark Castle on my 512k 'Fat Mac' back in the mid eighties. "nya, nya, nya, nya, nya!" :)

Great retro look!

G.

LOL!!! I know EXACTLY which enemy you are talking about based solely on "nya!" :ohmy: