PDA

View Full Version : OpenSubdiv Version 3.0 Released

robertoortiz
06-23-2015, 06:39 PM
Pixar Animation Studios announced the release of OpenSubdiv version 3.0, the popular subdivision surface library. This joint effort by the studiosí graphics R&D teams brings improved performance and reduced memory consumption, while continuing to leverage the massive parallelism available on modern GPU and CPU architectures.

OpenSubdiv 3.0 takes a bold step forward with a near complete rewrite of the library, greatly improving performance and simplifying the API.
http://www.cgsociety.org/news/article/496/opensubdiv-version-3-0-released

Snosrap
06-24-2015, 06:40 AM
Hopefully the "under the hood" enhancements in LW2016 will be able to take advantage of this. Scratch CC's and replace with OpenSubdiv while keeping standard LW subD's intact.

hrgiger
06-24-2015, 07:13 AM
OpenSubdiv is more for animation meshes as I understand it. In Modo, its said that their other SDS methods are more efficient for modeling. Don't know if this new version of OSD would change that at all.

Thomas Helzle
06-25-2015, 03:57 PM
Honestly, I would be already happy if I finally could use edge weighting with CC SDS in LW without them breaking each time I edit the mesh... ;-)

Cheers,

Tom

Snosrap
06-25-2015, 08:36 PM
Honestly, I would be already happy if I finally could use edge weighting with CC SDS in LW without them breaking each time I edit the mesh... ;-)

Cheers,

Tom

Got that right. I don't use them at all because of that as well as they can't be UV mapped worth a damn.