PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 2015 - general reviews and how is it on Mac ?

PaulP
06-23-2015, 05:05 AM
Hi all.

I have LW 9.6.1, running a Mac Pro 3.1 (2008 model) with OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8. Not exactly cutting edge, but it works ok for me.

I am thinking of upgrading to LW 2015. The price seems reasonable and my hardware and OS is still supported. I am curious about a couple of things :

1. I see no reviews on the interweb regarding 2015, especially on Mac. This concerns me a little. Does anybody know where this version has been reviewed ?

2. Also, I'm curious to hear from any users as to their thoughts on this version 2015 ? I am very surprised that on these very forums, there seem to be hardly any threads on version 2015.

Thank You.

lardbros
06-23-2015, 07:05 AM
Hey there Paul,

I think having a read through this thread http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?144545-Lightwave-2015-revealed!&highlight=2015 may give you an idea of people's views. There will be some narked users who were expecting more, but if you're upgrading from v9.6, you'll be SOOOO pleased with VPR (the viewport rendering). I would probably (genuinely) cry if I had to use 9.6 again. Modeler hasn't had a huge amount of love, but some of the new translation tools fill a small part of the rather large gap until the time comes when they overhaul the modelling stuff. If you're used to 9.6, then you'll still like modeling in 2015 I'm sure.

It was reviewed in 3d World and was received very well if I remember rightly.
Also here: http://www.digitalmedia-world.com/software/lightwave-2015-improves-on-bullet-dynamics-lighting-character-rigging.html
Here: http://architosh.com/2014/12/lightwave-2015-released-new-pricing-and-many-new-features/
There was a more in-depth review somewhere, but I can't find it I'm afraid.

As for the Mac version, it's probably best to swing by the Mac section of this forum and see how many are complaining. I don't remember anything bad being said specifically about the Mac version. I know in the past it has been buggy, but I think things have reached a point of stability.

Definitely worth downloading the trial version and giving that a spin for the 30 day trial! I'm certain that will help you make your mind up.

Cheers,
Tim

CaptainMarlowe
06-23-2015, 07:20 AM
FWIW, I am still on 11.6.2 because I didn't have the cash to upgrade, nor really the use, considering the lack of spare time I have these days.
If you don't use too many old plug-ins that have not been updated for Mac since the CFM era, the jump from 9.6.1 to 2015 is a no-brainer, to me. LW 11.6.2 has been rock solid for me, and I don't even think I could survive without VPR, instancing, genoma, bullet and quite a lot of additions, even the very few we had in modeler like chamfer or place mesh that I use extensively. There were not so many new features between 11.6.2 and 2015, IMHO, but some of them I would really like to have for my current projects, such as genoma 2, constraints in bullet, or per surface clip maps.

Markc
06-23-2015, 12:05 PM
I am not a heavy user, but I have no particular problems (LW2015 on Yosemite).
If you have any Worley plugins, they will not work (after 9.6.1) on Mac.

ernpchan
06-24-2015, 01:37 AM
You could try the demo and see if it's with upgrading. Going from 9.6 to 2015 skips two versions so it's going to be a pretty significant bang for the buck value for you.

meshpig
06-24-2015, 01:53 AM
First edition I've seen since the dawn of 9 where you can 'save scene' with the surface editor open and not save a surface preset instead amongst other improvements:)

dsol
06-24-2015, 05:19 AM
I'm running 2015 on Mac - it's a solid release, and if you're coming from 9.6 I think you'll be bowled over. It's been very stable for me too (though admittedly I don't use FibreFX or any of the problem plugins)

Snosrap
06-24-2015, 06:48 AM
Upgrading from 9.6 to 2015 is pretty significant. Even Modeler has seen some love, although not as much as Layout. VPR will blow you away - it's that awesome. They are running a special now on upgrades of $395 - good time to pick it up.

Scazzino
06-28-2015, 08:08 AM
2015 is a good solid release. VPR is great.

Dan do you run into an issue on the Mac LightWave where right clicks fail on pop-up menus? The menu pops-up but the selection is stuck. It happens to me all the time and it drives me crazy. Clicking on another app's window and then back on LightWave fixes it. It's been that way through many versions but they haven't been able to reproduce it consistently enough to fix it. I'm still primarily running Snow leopard. Just wondering if I'm the only one seeing that or if it's affecting other Mac users.

dsol
06-28-2015, 08:14 AM
Hi Mike, I've not had any problems with right click (or rather - cmd + click - as I don't use a two button mouse due to RSI). I'm running Yosemite though, which might make a difference

Markc
06-28-2015, 08:56 AM
Mike, I have the right click issue with the Scene Editor/Surface Editor.
If I'm copying settings from a surface I can only do a couple then it locks, as you say.
I find if I click another LW panel i.e. surface editor etc then back to Scene Editor it works, but it is a pain in the butt.

dsol
06-28-2015, 09:11 AM
Do you have the same issue when you use CMD + left mouse click too? In theory the two interactions should be the same, but it'd be good to test

Scazzino
06-28-2015, 09:19 AM
Thanks Markc. So it's not due to me still on an older version of Mac OS X.

I'll run more tests Dan (with single button and trackpad). I had a set of steps to reproduce from 11.6 around here somewhere. I'll see if I can narrow it down further and resubmit it so maybe it'll get fixed one of these days. It may seem like a minor issue but it really breaks the workflow when your buzzing around Lightwave and it makes you copy/paste the wrong thing because you didn't notice the popup was stuck, yet again... grr...

BTW: If others are seeing this it may help to have others report it too. I've reported it for years but it's still there...

erikals
06-28-2015, 09:39 AM
upgrading from LW9.6 to LW2015 is a no-brainer imo...

http://mindswork.co.uk/wpblog/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/nike-just-do-it-100x100.jpg

PaulP
07-08-2015, 09:54 PM
Thank you to all respondents. I'm appreciative to all of you for taking the time to reply.

Even with the Australian dollar exchange rate being not that good at the moment, it is still a good deal.

Thanks again.

PaulP
10-01-2015, 08:25 PM
Hi again everyone.

I just upgraded to LW 2015 - so I have s single license on Mac.

Does this allow me to install on a desktop and also a laptop ?

Also, does the installation require an internet connection ?

Do you need to be connected to the internet to use LW ? Does it dial into Newtek servers every once in a while, like Adobe products did in the CS3,4,5 and 6 days ?

Thank you.

Snosrap
10-01-2015, 08:34 PM
Hi again everyone.

I just upgraded to LW 2015 - so I have s single license on Mac.

Does this allow me to install on a desktop and also a laptop ?

Also, does the installation require an internet connection ?

Do you need to be connected to the internet to use LW ? Does it dial into Newtek servers every once in a while, like Adobe products did in the CS3,4,5 and 6 days ?

Thank you.

I think if you have a Dongle you can just move that from PC to laptop. I think the new license system will allow you to install and run on both machines as I think it might be the honor system that keeps you from running it on both machines at the same time. I'm sure someone will chime in and let you know for sure I have dongles for my licenses so I'm not positive. As far as internet connection goes, it doesn't use any of that kind of stuff.

CaptainMarlowe
10-04-2015, 10:53 PM
Hi, you can have Lightwave installed on both your desktop and laptop if you use it only on a computer at a Time. You don't need an internet connection to run LW nor to licence it, provided you have downloaded the licence key. And LW don't call home, so you can work offline.

PaulP
10-04-2015, 11:14 PM
Hi, you can have Lightwave installed on both your desktop and laptop if you use it only on a computer at a Time. You don't need an internet connection to run LW nor to licence it, provided you have downloaded the licence key. And LW don't call home, so you can work offline.

Thanks to both Snosrap and Captain Marlowe. I appreciate your time in clarifying these issues for me.

Snosrap
10-05-2015, 06:06 PM
No problemo.

Leo Chen
10-29-2015, 10:17 PM
Upgrading from 9.6 to 2015 is pretty significant. Even Modeler has seen some love, although not as much as Layout. VPR will blow you away - it's that awesome. They are running a special now on upgrades of $395 - good time to pick it up.

I have experienced that the object disappear from vewport for no reason after adding displacement(ex... bend)!

PS: Lightwave 2015 + Mac OS EI Capitan + Mac min 2011 16GB RAM 3TB Thunderbolt drive.