PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed: Is it worth it for 'me' to upgrade?

sublimationman
06-22-2015, 10:05 PM
So I use 11.6.2 and I want to know if I should upgrade.

I use mostly Modeler to make items for 3D printing.

But I also create high res stills for stock photography sites to sell.

I don't do much animation at all. I don't do any rigging (never did learn it).

What I would like (have not paid attention to what's new) is modeler was more 3D printer friendly (more like solid modelers) where you can easily do radius on any surface without it acting weird, more stable booleans and such. Not expecting though to get these.

What would be nice is if surfacing was a bit easier, I know it's very in depth but this is one thing I struggle with since V1.0 I can get the look I want after hours of changes and lots of trial and error but if we had a much larger preset library it would be a big head start.

Also, are there any official pages that show what's new?

Thanks

ernpchan
06-22-2015, 10:20 PM
This page outlines what's new in 2015.

https://www.lightwave3d.com/new_features/

spherical
06-22-2015, 10:47 PM
I use mostly Modeler to make items for 3D printing.
What I would like (have not paid attention to what's new) is modeler was more 3D printer friendly (more like solid modelers) where you can easily do radius on any surface without it acting weird, more stable booleans and such. Not expecting though to get these.

We do a lot of 3D printing and now CNC milling; using LightWave as the modeler. I've never found that any of the solid modelers have much over LightWave, as far as this type of operation goes, and we do have a number of them. But, then, I have LWCAD, 3rd Powers tool suite, TrueArt Modeling Pack and others to assist in filling in the gaps in Modeler's toolset. So, unless you are in the Charter group and need to maintain that status, investing in a few plugins may be the best first course to take. Then, when funds become available after that expenditure, upgrade to 2015, as it does have some good improvements.

bobakabob
06-22-2015, 11:13 PM
If you check the LW 2015 specs in ernpchan's link you'll see improvements to the renderer and VPR. The 3rd Powers toolkit and LWCad plugins will give you a turbocharged modeller so definitely worth investing if you haven't already done so.

lightscape
06-22-2015, 11:31 PM
There's a 395 promo now
https://www.lightwave3d.com/crossgrade_promo/?utm_source=mailer_06222015&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=crossgrade_promotion

prometheus
06-23-2015, 10:40 AM
maybe I should keep my mouth shut, since I donīt do 3d printing yet, and you should take note of those who do ..like spherical.
Anyway..yeah there is a nice price promo now since lightwave won the price for best software update it seems, but...

I donīt think that upgrade do anything much for you in terms of what you need for 3d printing or still renders, for that you can survive with what you got and save the upgrade money and get the tools from 3rdpowers, and if you really want better booleans and possible nurbs that will enhance your constructions...put some money in to LW cad if you dont have it already?

otherwise...solid modelers might be something to invest in, like moi or the more expensive rhino3d. (995 euro)

Modo now have implemented the mesh fusion plugin which looks absolutly awesome, so maybe investing in that instead of lw upgrade, it will also give other tools for rendering stills and you got texture painting in it too.

If you however are in for animation, then Lightwave got some nice addition with bullet dynamics, bones, motors etc..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_U0s7sQmDQ

Michael

hrgiger
06-23-2015, 11:45 AM
Yeah it doesn't seem like there is anything that is new in LW 2015 that will enhance your particular line of work over what you have already in 11.6. Both Modo and Zbrush have some nice features for people who do 3D printing although I might hold off on the Modo thing until they come out with a service pack or 2. Entirely too unstable to be using for production work at this point.

Shabazzy
06-23-2015, 12:07 PM
If you did decide to stay with LightWave and not change toolsets, I think a good place to strengthen your surfacing skills is to invest in Angel Nieves's book LightWave v9 Texturing from Wordpress. ISBN-13: 978-1-59822-029-2 or ISBN-10: 1-59822-029-2.

It's a bit of an old book but still relevant to all version of LightWave from 6.0 onwards. It's a bit like my bible for surfacing techniques and a great manual for beginners and experts alike.

prometheus
06-23-2015, 12:22 PM
Anyway..yeah there is a nice price promo now since lightwave won the price for best software update it seems, but...

[/video]

Michael

Dooh!

Was celebrating a bit too early, and I was completly wrong, Usually I and nostradamus can predict things quite accurate given certain circumstances is right...maye I did some precognition here subconscious:D
Though my logic says Lightwave will not be the winner of this price this time.

So...Lightwave did not win the price (yet) as I said, it is only nominated so far.

Michael

Shabazzy
06-23-2015, 12:36 PM
Dooh!

Was celebrating a bit too early, and I was completly wrong, Usually I and nostradamus can predict things quite accurate given certain circumstances is right...maye I did some precognition here subconscious:D
Though my logic says Lightwave will not be the winner of this price this time.

So...Lightwave did not win the price (yet) as I said, it is only nominated so far.

Michael

Yeah, nominated in TWO (count 'em) TWO categories no less.

Software Innovation and Software Update (LW2015).

How amazing is that, for a piece of software that's been labelled as dead by some?

Let's hope LW3DG can grab a win for the second year in a row.:goodluck:

GO LIGHTWAVE!

prometheus
06-23-2015, 03:04 PM
Yeah, nominated in TWO (count 'em) TWO categories no less.

Software Innovation and Software Update (LW2015).

How amazing is that, for a piece of software that's been labelled as dead by some?

Let's hope LW3DG can grab a win for the second year in a row.:goodluck:

GO LIGHTWAVE!

I hope the most deserved nominee wins it, I would like to say I hope the lw3dg group wins it....but to be fair it isnīt just because I am foremost a Lightwave user that governs what I hope for, I see no point in me voting for or hoping for a win
int the category for the best software update.... when I at the time of the 2015 release really didnīt think it was a good update (this time around)

Others more involved and more skilled on judging the importance of different tools might have a completly different opinion, I donīt know..itīs gonna be interesting to see the judges winners motivation.

I wonder though what in lightwave could be considered as highly valuable for the software update?
Personally I donīt think it is That exciting, match perspective? genoma update, gi importance sampling? ...If I might chime in on at least something, possibly the
bullet enhancements with motors, bone dynamics etc...but in comparison to other software updates, donīt think it will hold up against the compitition.
The amount of new or enhancements seem a bit thin, so the question would be more of...is the new stuff in such level that it deserves it?

the nominee excerpt...
"NewTek’s LightWave 2015, the latest update to its flagship 3D software, adds a Match Perspective tool, new Bullet physics constraint types, and updating the Genoma rigging system and GI rendering – all available at a cut-down price."

the innovation excerpt seems poorly described..who wrote that? doesnīt say anything specific about the innovation..just that it adds numerous workflow and feature enhancements, some of the others nominees have a better specific description on why it is innovative....

"The latest iteration of the world’s easiest and most reliable 3D software. LightWave 2015 provides the tools that you need to solve your animation and design challenges with numerous new workflow enhancements and features."

for the sake of Lightwave future, and I want it to be going on strong in the future, it is of course nice to see it nominated in Two categories, but the price goes to...who ever deserves it, and the other software does indeed have done hard work too, just as the lightwave team has.

In one way..I actually think they need a no win this time, cause I feel they might need a little more kick in the butt to spur them to work even harder/smarter for new even more amazing things, thatīs just some of my crazy thoughts about it now :)

jwiede
06-24-2015, 01:03 PM
In terms of best upgrade, I'll be disappointed if Zbrush 4R7 doesn't win. It's not only a great upgrade with lots of new features, but as an upgrade it has an attribute the other candidates do not: It was free to customers. In an industry known for expensive upgrades, that seems pretty significant IMO. In contrast, I wasn't that impressed with LW2015 as a LW upgrade, enough so to skip it thus far, so I never really saw it as a viable contender in the "best upgrade" category. Still, at least I can understand how LW2015 was nominated for this category.

I actually found it quite odd that LW2015 was nominated in a "software innovation" category -- it definitely brought new features to LW, but none were really innovations for the 3D industry. The other nominees had truly "innovative" features or technologies (as in, features that actually hadn't been seen before in 3D). Even the description of LW2015's justification for nomination seemed very lacklustre and vague compared to the others' descriptions, IMO, as if even the writer wasn't sure why it was there. Quite odd.

prometheus
06-24-2015, 04:38 PM
In terms of best upgrade, I'll be disappointed if Zbrush 4R7 doesn't win. It's not only a great upgrade with lots of new features, but as an upgrade it has an attribute the other candidates do not: It was free to customers. In an industry known for expensive upgrades, that seems pretty significant IMO. In contrast, I wasn't that impressed with LW2015 as a LW upgrade, enough so to skip it thus far, so I never really saw it as a viable contender in the "best upgrade" category. Still, at least I can understand how LW2015 was nominated for this category.

I actually found it quite odd that LW2015 was nominated in a "software innovation" category -- it definitely brought new features to LW, but none were really innovations for the 3D industry. The other nominees had truly "innovative" features or technologies (as in, features that actually hadn't been seen before in 3D). Even the description of LW2015's justification for nomination seemed very lacklustre and vague compared to the others' descriptions, IMO, as if even the writer wasn't sure why it was there. Quite odd.

Thatīs what I said :D confirms I wasnīt speaking in tounges right :D

bobakabob
06-24-2015, 04:59 PM
Ignore these Lightwave miserablists... It's bloody good software that gives you a great toolset to be creative, So invest :-)

prometheus
06-24-2015, 07:07 PM
Ignore these Lightwave miserablists... It's bloody good software that gives you a great toolset to be creative, So invest :-)

If you count me in as one of those, you are out bicycling in fantasyland...as usual :)

what we have given as advice, is based on what the OP was looking for, the lightwave upgrade doesnīt really contain anything of value in those regards as I and some other see it, and regarding the cg awards..I would say jwiede and I is putting forth decent opinions on it, time might of course tell we were so wrong..so wrong, we have to wait over 70 days before the finals.

of course lightwave is a bloody good software, and especially with concern to the price, but that has little to do with the latest 2015 version nor the fact that the OP already has a pretty good software for his needs already, namely the previous version.

with 3d printing in mind..
If he donīt have lw cad or 3rd powers tools, I would suggest rather invest in them instead of the upgrade to version 2015 of lightwave, then again he might consider the special price and getting in for future deals.

sublimationman
06-26-2015, 07:38 PM
Thanks for all the info.

jasonwestmas
06-26-2015, 08:34 PM
Modeling? Pfft Zbrush is a no-brainer for detailed modeling.