PDA

View Full Version : Nurbs...

meshpig
06-22-2015, 01:23 AM
Just curious as to what happens when a (LWCAD) NURBS object is loaded in older versions of LW without LWCAD installed. I suspect it will be just vertices.

meshpig
06-22-2015, 03:09 AM
... or as it happens LWCAD 5 not installed. Er., nurbs in modeler are just awesome.

spherical
06-22-2015, 03:30 AM
Care to elaborate a bit? Unsure of your report and its meaning. Are you saying that, because of LWCAD5 creating the NURBS surfaces while not relying upon the LW SDK (an external process), that its NURBS imports are useable without LWCAD5 being active?

Sensei
06-22-2015, 05:12 AM
If any Custom Polygon Handler is in object we try to load, and LightWave has it not installed, there is error message, as far as I remember.

gerry_g
06-22-2015, 06:33 AM
presume this is just a tease as you have a beta version of LWC 5 and it's not out yet commercially ?

prometheus
06-22-2015, 07:44 AM
this happens on lw 11.6.3

no lw cad installed...

hrgiger
06-22-2015, 03:55 PM
Yeah, its the same with nurbs curves. If you don't have LWCAD installed and try to load them you just get straight 2 point polys or just nonsense.

And yes, nurbs in LW are cool. And this is just first implementation.

meshpig
06-22-2015, 09:48 PM
Well, it's consistent with NURBS in other apps e.g. modo doesn't support them and uses a plugin.

prometheus
06-24-2015, 11:42 AM
Yeah, its the same with nurbs curves. If you don't have LWCAD installed and try to load them you just get straight 2 point polys or just nonsense.

are you a beta tester of lw cad and thus got nurbs already?
donīt think he has released it officially yet right?

I hope you can do a nice presentation as you have done before with lw cad teaser, that was really nicely done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc-MYQyNgO8

your preset page has grown nicely, it may be of use for me later..I need to check up some things before I decide getting lwcad 5.0 and with that presets maybe.

hrgiger
06-24-2015, 01:13 PM
are you a beta tester of lw cad and thus got nurbs already?
donīt think he has released it officially yet right?

I hope you can do a nice presentation as you have done before with lw cad teaser, that was really nicely done.

your preset page has grown nicely, it may be of use for me later..I need to check up some things before I decide getting lwcad 5.0 and with that presets maybe.

Yeah I'm one of the beta testers. It just went into beta a few weeks ago. Not sure how soon it will be ready for release, he is still refactoring some of the tools for Nurbs and its been a big task.

Yeah I told Viktor I'd like to do another video for LWCAD for the 5 series at some point. And I'm still working on some things for presets. I need to get out an update for current users and am also looking at some new things....it may depend on how things change during the 5.x series as well.

Sorry for my website, its crap. :) I had to do the site myself and I'm no web designer, just need to get my web person to change it at some point.

prometheus
06-24-2015, 04:23 PM
Yeah I'm one of the beta testers. It just went into beta a few weeks ago. Not sure how soon it will be ready for release, he is still refactoring some of the tools for Nurbs and its been a big task.

Yeah I told Viktor I'd like to do another video for LWCAD for the 5 series at some point. And I'm still working on some things for presets. I need to get out an update for current users and am also looking at some new things....it may depend on how things change during the 5.x series as well.

Sorry for my website, its crap. :) I had to do the site myself and I'm no web designer, just need to get my web person to change it at some point.

Thanks for the info, I can imagine refactoring nurbs and making sure it comes out well is a huge task, and I am in no direct hurry though ..better if he getīs it right.

Regarding your site, well yeah...it could be polished, you at least got one, I do not.

I would suggest very simple changes could help alot...
1. the banner, make it all stretched out in black and not chopped off, neither on the sides or bottom, make it align with exact line to where the site text starts.
2. change font to smaller size and a better cleaner font style.
there are free web templates you can use and modify as you want..mostly with the only restriction that they often want this still on the page.....

"This free template is released under a Creative Commons Attributions 3.0 license, so you are pretty much free to do whatever you want with it (even use it commercially) provided you keep the links in the footer intact. Aside from that, have fun with it :) "

You of course would need a web editor to change it, I have used dreamweaver for doing updates for a company some time ago.
many of these are free and you can use filezilla to simply upload to your page.
with free already made templates..it may just look unpersonal unless you change it to your liking of course.

One can see a difference between these free web templates and the premium ones, the premium ones are much cleaner and simpler, the free ones often looks cluttered.

http://www.freewebtemplates.com/
http://www.freewebtemplates.com/portfolio/
http://www.freewebtemplates.com/corporate

bobakabob
06-25-2015, 05:26 PM

These look nice... Very interesting times. I've rarely used Nurbs in modelling and not even sure of their advantages over splines or sub d... Any insight into the potential?

probiner
06-25-2015, 06:27 PM
- Interpolated Surfaces, passing through what you give them.
- Better Booleans, Chamfers and Fillets.
- Very useful for rigging since the results from queries are continuously smooth. Curves also obviously useful for rigging.

I use a baked version of these a lot to block volumes in Softimage. Much faster than using subdivision, since when you Loft per fixed lenghts the resulting mesh is not pegged to the curves, do you can move them around and not drag the topology, just change the shape.

http://i.imgur.com/rDvyEJe.png

http://i.imgur.com/jYiMU3P.png

Not very easy to do volume blocking in LW when you have modeling tools and object manipulation apart. I this last image only the center body center and the neck are nurbs though.

Cheers