PDA

View Full Version : Just bought Lightwave 2015

kevinh
06-20-2015, 06:32 AM
Just wondered...where am I suppose to put the Lightwave 2015 content.

I like the way you don't have to use the dongle anymore.

I was also wondering...I have some IFW shaders that worked with Lightwave 96. Should they still work in 2015?

Thanks.

jasonwestmas
06-20-2015, 08:49 AM
You can put the content anywhere you merely have to direct lightwave's content directory to it. IFW2 worked great on the last LW 2015 project I did but it was all nodes, no shaders if you are talking about the shader tab.

kevinh
06-20-2015, 09:18 AM
Thanks.

I have IFW2. I am probably talking about the same thing you are...just not using the right terminalogy.

jeric_synergy
06-20-2015, 12:42 PM
OP, do you mean CONTENT, or things like plugins?

spherical
06-20-2015, 04:01 PM
Both IFW2 nodes and shaders work, but there have been a number of updates/fixes since the 9.x days and some new textures, too. If you use them a lot, an upgrade is worth it.

kevinh
06-20-2015, 06:37 PM
There were two files I downloaded. The exe for 64 bit and a content.zip

I unzipped the content and then copied it to the user\public documents folder and when I went to tell lightwave where the content was, as jasonwesmas instructed, I saw that Lightwave already knew they were there. Maybe that is the default location.

I have the IFW2 plugins. I guess that is what they are called. I haven't installed them yet. I didn't know if they would still work, so I thought I would ask first. Maybe I'll have to look at upgrading them.

Thanks.

Snosrap
06-20-2015, 06:56 PM
What do you think of 2015 so far?

kevinh
06-20-2015, 07:23 PM
I like it. It seems a lot like the interface that I used before. I feel like I've come back to an old friend.

I did go through several upgrades and then I think they went to some sort of continuous upgrade. I don't really recall how it worked. Maybe you payed something every month. I don't remember. But I didn't think I wanted to do it. So I used some other programs I that had available and when I got my new computer, I even thought I might even give up playing with these programs altogether. But then the other day, I went to Daz3d for some reason and I decided to install the newest version of Daz Studio and then I was hooked again. And then I thought I might put Lightwave back on my computer. I had a panic because at first I couldn't find my dongle and then I wasn't sure if the version I had would work on Windows 8.1 soon to be Windows 10. I looked around for my password for my account. I figured it wouldn't work anyway and I knew my email had changed. But I found my password and it still worked. When I logged into my account to download the latest version I owned, I saw any upgrade button. I thought...should I click. Of course I should. The price was better than I expected, so then I said I better upgrade before the price changes or something. So I did. And I'm glad to be back.

jeric_synergy
06-20-2015, 07:29 PM
OP, the content can be anywhere, you set the current location (most people just make project folders) in the Preferences tab, under paths.

In reality, plugins can ALSO be anywhere, since LW stores the full path, but I for one keep them with the executable, there's a PLUGINS folder in there. I usually make a dedicated 3rd Party folder for ease in migration, and for identifying freebie plugins, since sometimes it's difficult to determine where they come from.

Welcome back!

Snosrap
06-20-2015, 11:03 PM
I like it. It seems a lot like the interface that I used before. I feel like I've come back to an old friend.

I did go through several upgrades and then I think they went to some sort of continuous upgrade. I don't really recall how it worked. Maybe you payed something every month. I don't remember. But I didn't think I wanted to do it. So I used some other programs I that had available and when I got my new computer, I even thought I might even give up playing with these programs altogether. But then the other day, I went to Daz3d for some reason and I decided to install the newest version of Daz Studio and then I was hooked again. And then I thought I might put Lightwave back on my computer. I had a panic because at first I couldn't find my dongle and then I wasn't sure if the version I had would work on Windows 8.1 soon to be Windows 10. I looked around for my password for my account. I figured it wouldn't work anyway and I knew my email had changed. But I found my password and it still worked. When I logged into my account to download the latest version I owned, I saw any upgrade button. I thought...should I click. Of course I should. The price was better than I expected, so then I said I better upgrade before the price changes or something. So I did. And I'm glad to be back.

Good for you!

kevinh
08-19-2015, 09:37 AM
I tried following the instructions to place the IFW2 product into Lightwave 2015. The file structure isn't exactly the same. In the Newtek folder, there is a folder called Lightwave_2015.2

Inside that folder, there are a number of folders. The plugins and preset are under the support folder. In the presets folder, there were folders such as described in the installation instructions. Folders like Hypervowels. and Surface Editor. I put the specified file in the appropriate folders. There was no Volumetric folder for the fog though.

It said to put the ifw2_textures under the Newtek directroy in a folder called ifw_textures. I did that, but I don't see the textures in the list when I open the surface editor and select procedural. Is there some step that I am missing? To be honest, I've forgotten most of what I knew about using them, so they could be there and I'm just snot looking in the right place. But I thought they appeared in the list with the native procedurals.

Since the files end in .p, I was thinking they were plugins, so I tried moving them to the plug in folder. I also thought maybe I had to use add plugins. But when I tried that, Lightwave said it could not load any of the plugins.

Thanks.

DrStrik9
08-19-2015, 11:47 AM
What do you think of 2015 so far?

I just got it a couple of days ago, and can't wait to set it up and use it. But I think I'll be rendering until the end of the world in 11.6.3 before that can happen ...

DrStrik9
08-19-2015, 12:39 PM
I tried following the instructions to place the IFW2 product into Lightwave 2015. The file structure isn't exactly the same. In the Newtek folder, there is a folder called Lightwave_2015.2

Inside that folder, there are a number of folders. The plugins and preset are under the support folder. In the presets folder, there were folders such as described in the installation instructions. Folders like Hypervowels. and Surface Editor. I put the specified file in the appropriate folders. There was no Volumetric folder for the fog though.

It said to put the ifw2_textures under the Newtek directroy in a folder called ifw_textures. I did that, but I don't see the textures in the list when I open the surface editor and select procedural. Is there some step that I am missing? To be honest, I've forgotten most of what I knew about using them, so they could be there and I'm just snot looking in the right place. But I thought they appeared in the list with the native procedurals.

Since the files end in .p, I was thinking they were plugins, so I tried moving them to the plug in folder. I also thought maybe I had to use add plugins. But when I tried that, Lightwave said it could not load any of the plugins.

Thanks.

You need to load all your plugins for them to work.

You also might want to download 2015.3 before you go through all that set-up stuff. Otherwise you'll need to do it twice (and more, each time an update is released). But then again, practice makes perfect, right? :+)

I wish there was a better way to set LW up than having to go through the entire multi-step manual process each time it is installed (um, like virtually EVERY other app used here). I guess this is because of LW's "ancient" directory structure -- ?

"Because we've always done it that way" -- ? Hmmm ...

kevinh
08-19-2015, 04:07 PM
Thanks.

I have tried adding them and I also have told it to scan the directory where the files are and it says "No plugins found." If I try to add, it say that can't load external plugin, so maybe they don't work with this version? An example of the plugin I am trying to load or scan is ifw2_gradient.p and ifw2_gradient.texture.p

kevinh
08-19-2015, 05:40 PM
I think I might know why they won't load. I bet they are for the 32bit application.

jeric_synergy
08-19-2015, 06:17 PM
If 2015 is loading its native plugins fine, it should load any valid plugin. I think kevinh has got it: older, 32bit plugins will not load in a 64 bit system, and vice versa.