PDA

View Full Version : Bone 2 Weight Map connection

dalecampbelljr
12-04-2003, 10:13 AM
I have a characters with @184 bones. Is there a easier way or a plugin that will assign the bone to the weight maps of the same name? Doing this manually on 24 characters could take an whole week, when an app/plugin could do it in seconds in layout
Dale

hrgiger
12-04-2003, 12:34 PM
Well you can use the bone weights feature to have modeler create a weight map for each of your bones. you can then assign each weight map to your bones in the skelegon tree. Once you do, you can save it with the object file and never have to do it again.

I'm not sure about this but if your bone names and weight map names are identical, i believe they'll be assigned automatically in Layout. However, I just go ahead and assign them in the skelegon tree.

Do you have 184 bones for each character?? That sounds like a lot. Usually for a biped character, my bone count falls slightly below 80 or 90. That include usually includes 10 fingers, 10 or 12 arm bones for various control, 6 leg bones, 6-8 feet bones, 3 or 4 more for head and neck, 2 for eyes, 10 more for spine and hips, and then a dozen more or so for IK terminators, holder bones, and anti-Gimbal lock bones. What else are you using? Unless you're rigging a centipede, it seems like you could probably get away with less bones.

dalecampbelljr
12-04-2003, 05:04 PM
I also have facial bone based on Dan Ablan book "Inside Lightwave 7" page 635-645

SplineGod
12-06-2003, 04:00 AM
Dale is there a reason you have to have a weight map on every bone? Usually that is a game engine issue.
If youre just trying to rig a character I would not do that.
You dont usually need any weight maps or at worse very few weight maps. All the bones in both arms for example can be assigned to one weight map that covers both arms.
That many weight maps is insane.

Also, using facial bones is interesting but rarely practical. Ive worked on a lot of productions and never have done it that way.
Its very difficult to tune properly and in a timely manner. I would focus on endomorphs for facial animation. Its a lot more predictable and easier to set up. :)

faulknermano
12-06-2003, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by dalecampbelljr
I have a characters with @184 bones. Is there a easier way or a plugin that will assign the bone to the weight maps of the same name? Doing this manually on 24 characters could take an whole week, when an app/plugin could do it in seconds in layout
Dale

i cannot test this but in lscript (generic) it should look soemthing like this:

generic
{
// select a mesh first.

m = Scene().firstSelect();
b = m.bone();
while(b)
{
boneName = bone.name;
SelectItem(b.id);
BoneWeightMapName(boneName);
b = b.next();
}
}

if i missed something, sorry. cant test it.

dalecampbelljr
12-06-2003, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by SplineGod
Dale.
You dont usually need any weight maps or at worse very few weight maps. All the bones in both arms for example can be assigned to one weight map that covers both arms.
That many weight maps is insane.

Larry,
Ok so how do I get rid of 184 weight maps? or do I have to delete them one at a time? I sure hope there is something in LW to help with this and then I am going to try it your way.
Dale

PS
as soon as I get the funds I am signing up for your class! They sound AWESOME!!!

SplineGod
12-06-2003, 02:21 PM
Hey Dale,
There is a plugin I found on flay.com that will allow you to delete all maps at once. Very useful. I dont know the name off hand but do a search under weight or map or endormorph. One of those should nail it.

Can I ask why you have so many bones?
Set your bone falloff to ^128 and try it with no weight maps.
Pose your character and see what areas need help. That should determine where you might need a hold bone or weight map.
In general I think a better workflow is to look at using weight maps as a last resort and if you do have to use any keep them dead simple. :)

As far as the classes go Im offering a couple of pretty nice specials at the moment. The info's right HERE (http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/professionalcharacterseries.html)

dalecampbelljr
12-06-2003, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by SplineGod
Hey Dale,

Can I ask why you have so many bones?

I was looking to stablize my characters more so their geometry does look so bad. I also have Dan Ablans book Inside Lightwave 7 and it suggest using facial bones as well as morph. Alot of what I know about Lightwave comes from book...not many Lightwave users in Dubuque Iowa. So I guess I learn from my mistakes and people like yourself correcting me.:p That is why I wish I had the funds to take your classes.:(
Dale

SplineGod
12-06-2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by dalecampbelljr
I was looking to stablize my characters more so their geometry does look so bad. I also have Dan Ablans book Inside Lightwave 7 and it suggest using facial bones as well as morph. Alot of what I know about Lightwave comes from book...not many Lightwave users in Dubuque Iowa. So I guess I learn from my mistakes and people like yourself correcting me.:p That is why I wish I had the funds to take your classes.:(
Dale

184 bones is a lot. Ive never rigged a human where I had anywhere near that many bones. If Ive used hold bones in the head its maybe 3 at the most.Can you post an image of your character and bone setup? Are you using the bones in the face to animate with or just to stabilize the head?