PDA

View Full Version : LightWave F12 switch finally working while using Comodo Firewall

allabulle
06-19-2015, 11:13 AM
I faced this problem:
Until now, when I tried to launch Layout or Modeler from any of the applications [pressing F12] I had to close the one in use for the other to actually open.
This happened on Windows 7 and 8.1 (both x64) using the Comodo Firewall and LightWave 1.6.3 (and prior versions too) and 2015 (and updates).
All settings for the executables (including the Hub et al) were properly set, and tried quite a lot of combinations of settings. Still, the only way to work with LightWave as it should was to disable or uninstall the Comodo Firewall.

Solved the problem this way:
I found that, if I go to Comodo Firewall>Tasks>Firewall Tasks>Open Advanced Settings and there I disable, in the Advanced section, "Filter loopback traffic (e.g. 127.x.x.x ::1)" tick, now everything works as it should.
Now I don't know how dangerous is to disable that filtering, and I'm not suggesting you do the same. But I can use LightWave now when the Firewall is on.
If anyone has a better solution please chime in. I just thought it could be useful to others, since it's been discussed several times and to my knowledge at least a few of us had this issue with no clear solution other than not using Comodo.

This workaround has been tested using Comodo Firewall 8.2.0.4591 (from the 'about' of the application).

jeric_synergy
06-19-2015, 11:45 AM
Good find! Maybe someone here can translate "filter loopback traffic" for us laymen.

spherical
06-19-2015, 02:16 PM
That's localhost and it's fine. The reason that ESET has never had an issue like this is that its default sets localhost and all other variants, including internal network IP#s, as a Trusted Zone and doesn't mess with anything in that zone. I've bookmarked this thread, as it is bound to come up again and again.

allabulle
06-20-2015, 12:45 AM
That's my impression too, spherical, but I wouldn't suggest to others to disable security filters and be responsible for any wrongful consequences. Still, I'm pretty happy with the solution. As you say, many security softwares are working fine letting localhost access to applications and it doesn't seem to hinder the system's security that badly. :)

spherical
06-20-2015, 02:55 AM
Well, I certainly wouldn't say that the coders at ESET are clueless enough to expose their customers to risk; not when mitigation and prevention of risk is their primary business.

allabulle
06-20-2015, 03:11 AM
Exactly!