PDA

View Full Version : Move objects with different heights

Niko3D
06-18-2015, 05:53 AM
Hi,

I have a scene with a lot objects in different heights (Y axis)...one car 5.34, one person 7.52 ect ect ect...because the ground is not flat.
How can I move (in Y axis) all objects in the same time without losing the height of each one? Because when I select all the objects and I try to move them Layout put every objects in 0 in Y...so it put them in the same height...
Instead I want to keep the different Y heights of each one.

Any ideas?

Thanks Nico

RebelHill
06-18-2015, 06:00 AM
Use the Add To Position tool.

Niko3D
06-18-2015, 06:27 AM
where can I find the tool?

Sensei
06-18-2015, 06:37 AM
I have a scene with a lot objects in different heights (Y axis)...one car 5.34, one person 7.52 ect ect ect...because the ground is not flat.
How can I move (in Y axis) all objects in the same time without losing the height of each one? Because when I select all the objects and I try to move them Layout put every objects in 0 in Y...so it put them in the same height...

That's weird,
I made ball, cloned it 5 times,
changed position and scale Y one of them,
selected them all at once,
used Align Items (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MCLYvDlNS0) my plugin, to interpolate positions and scales of balls.
And offset them in Y axis slightly.
Selected them all at once,
and pressed green arrow,
and they move by the same offset each time.
As it should be.
How it differs from your case?

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=128639&d=1434630929

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=128638&d=1434630929

Ah, maybe you don't have autokey?! Or there is no existing key at that frame?
That would explain "jumping to y 0"..

Niko3D
06-18-2015, 07:09 AM
It's very weird...
you can try...copy and paste 3/5 balls in a different heights,, as your example...BUT...if you move the all balls with the right mouse button is ok, instead if you move them from the position pannel Layout will put all balls at the same heights...try and let me know!;)
Without plugin of course...eheheh

Sensei
06-18-2015, 07:16 AM
If I am clicking RMB, I can only move up-down balls.

If I am clicking LMB, I can freely move them in 3d.
But if I am clicking LMB on green (Y axis) arrow, I can move them up-down.
Nothing goes to 0.
So no issue.
But it's v11.6.x

Maybe record video?

Niko3D
06-18-2015, 07:22 AM
I mean not all the balls go to 0...I mean all the ball are in the same heights.
How can I rec?

Sensei
06-18-2015, 07:24 AM
VirtualDub
http://www.virtualdub.org/

Niko3D
06-18-2015, 07:27 AM
Thank you!
I'll try...;)

Sensei
06-18-2015, 07:41 AM
I mean not all the balls go to 0...I mean all the ball are in the same heights.

Do you have displacement added to these balls?
do you have motion modifier added to these balls?
Like "sticky to ground" or so.. ?
They're modifying ball positions/vertexes.

Niko3D
06-18-2015, 07:47 AM
Do you have displacement added to these balls?
do you have motion modifier added to these balls?
Like "sticky to ground" or so.. ?
They're modifying ball positions/vertexes.

Nono...nothing...I tried just with the balls directly from Modeler Tools in Layout...

RebelHill
06-18-2015, 07:58 AM
if you move them from the position pannel Layout will put all balls at the same heights

Yes... because if you use the channel box, you're basically entering values, which will be applied to all selected items. If you want a specific amount of movement, thats what the add to position tool is for.

Sensei
06-18-2015, 08:09 AM
AddPosition is called when clicking LMB on green arrow. We can see it in Utilities > Cmd History and moving arrow of some item.

I just noticed that manual clicking Modify > Add to Position when there is multiple items selected moves just one item?!
Maybe issue in my LW version..

jeric_synergy
06-18-2015, 08:20 AM
Use the Add To Position tool.
All these years and I never noted that tool. (Also, in the LW10 dox, the formatting seems wrong, the font isn't big enough for a tool entry.)
Worth pointing out there's ADD TO ROTATION and ADD TO SCALE also......

OH WAIT: Just tried ADD TO POSITION (LW11.6.3)(for the first time) and it only affected the LAST of a bunch of multi-selected items (Lights). Did both the MMB lasso select, which only makes ONE checkmarked item in the SE, then used SHIFT+CLICK in the SE which highlights and checkmarks the items. In both cases only the LAST item was affected by ADD TO POSITION.

(As to the OP's q: I had no trouble moving multiselected items in one plane with the mouse, in the main UI.)

Sensei
06-18-2015, 08:22 AM
BUG: Add to Position not working with multiple selections

Too late jeric, post #13 ;)

Niko3D
06-18-2015, 08:25 AM
Yes... because if you use the channel box, you're basically entering values, which will be applied to all selected items. If you want a specific amount of movement, thats what the add to position tool is for.

Aaaa ok!
In any case if I move the balls with the RMB Layout keep the different heights...if you move the channel box not.
I'll try to show the video of my screen...because I never tried to rec!...;)

jeric_synergy
06-18-2015, 08:50 AM
?? Why are you using RMB? Why not left, like normal?

JoePoe
06-18-2015, 08:51 AM
Certainly, LMB works.
BUT the question still remains.... How to move varied multiple selected objects at the same time by a specific amount.
(...that is, if Add to Position has the same behavior in 2015 as in 11.6)

..... Use this, Multi Keying Numeric (https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/multi-keying-numeric/). Works like a charm :thumbsup:.

Ryan Roye
06-18-2015, 09:05 AM
Modify > Add to Position when there is multiple items selected moves just one item?!

Many, many tools have this problem... the irony here is that in many cases this issue can be fixed with about 4 lines of code. I'd like to see non-multi-select tools be fixed to be multi-select capable in the future.

jeric_synergy
06-18-2015, 09:19 AM
Many, many tools have this problem... the irony here is that in many cases this issue can be fixed with about 4 lines of code. I'd like to see non-multi-select tools be fixed to be multi-select capable in the future.
::harumph:: If a tool is single-use, and certainly they SHOULDN"T BE if at all possible, multi-select should ghost 'em.

Damn, that's messed up.

Certainly, LMB works.
BUT the question still remains.... How to move varied multiple selected objects at the same time by a specific amount.

Shouldn't NSE with RELATIVE set allow this kind of offset?.....::looks:: Oh, that's not at all how I remember it........ the NSE Property Tab seems quite different than how it used to be, don't grok it all, and hurrying out... later...

jboudreau
06-18-2015, 10:04 AM
Hi,

Any ideas?

Thanks Nico

Hi

Maybe I am missing something but why don't you try selecting all the objects except for one, Then link all the objects to the one that isn't selected. Then move that one object what ever distance you want with the mouse or just by typing it into the position channel. Once you are done just unlink all the objects from that one main object that you moved. Now all the objects have been moved keeping their height

Hope this helps

Thanks,
Jason

Niko3D
06-18-2015, 10:05 AM
?? Why are you using RMB? Why not left, like normal?

Hi,

RMB because you can move perfectly the objects only in Y axis and click where you want in the screen...With the LMB you have to click only in the Y arrow.
But of course the result is the same...only comfort.;)

Niko3D
06-18-2015, 10:07 AM
Certainly, LMB works.
(...that is, if Add to Position has the same behavior in 2015 as in 11.6)

..... Use this, Multi Keying Numeric (https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/multi-keying-numeric/). Works like a charm :thumbsup:.

Wow!
Thank you!!!:)

Niko3D
06-18-2015, 10:16 AM
Hi

Maybe I am missing something but why don't you try selecting all the objects except for one, Then link all the objects to the one that isn't selected. Then move that one object what ever distance you want with the mouse or just by typing it into the position channel. Once you are done just unlink all the objects from that one main object that you moved. Now all the objects have been moved keeping their height

Hope this helps

Thanks,
Jason

Hi,
yes you're right...this is one option...;)
I didn't try because I have a lot of different objects...and in the Scene Editor they are not in the right order...I don't know why one time this scene crashed, but ok it can happen sometime...But from that time when I try to open the same scene the New Scene Editor crashed LW...I don't know.
So for this scene I have to use the common Scene editor, but I can't arrange the file by Name or Sequence ect...
Thank you!:)

jboudreau
06-18-2015, 01:32 PM
Hi,
yes you're right...this is one option...;)
I didn't try because I have a lot of different objects...and in the Scene Editor they are not in the right order...I don't know why one time this scene crashed, but ok it can happen sometime...But from that time when I try to open the same scene the New Scene Editor crashed LW...I don't know.
So for this scene I have to use the common Scene editor, but I can't arrange the file by Name or Sequence ect...
Thank you!:)

oh okay no problem, yeah that sucks you have to use the old scene editor, Strange that the new scene editor is crashing with your scene.

Glad to see you found a solution to your issue

Thanks,
Jason

Niko3D
06-19-2015, 03:28 AM
oh okay no problem, yeah that sucks you have to use the old scene editor, Strange that the new scene editor is crashing with your scene.

Glad to see you found a solution to your issue

Thanks,
Jason

To be honest in my two different scenes the New Scene Editor crashed LW. And I don't know why, it's very annoying...even if I try to open Scene Editor Dope New (and I don't know the difference between both)...anyway.
Thank you Jason.