PDA

View Full Version : FReq: Custom Object plugin: "Clone Number"/"Item Name"

jeric_synergy
06-16-2015, 11:42 PM
If this doesn't exist yet, here's the request:

In the class of CUSTOM OBJECTS plugins, I think users would find it useful to have a CLONE NUMBER plugin, that would display in the UI the clone number of an object (or light? or camera?).
I see this as being mostly useful for NULLS, but I imagine it could come in handy for mesh objects too.

This means that after you apply it to a NULL, cloning that null would automatically differentiate it from all its subsequent clones, visually, in the main UI, not just in the dropdown lists.

Y'know, come to think of it, while CLONE NUMBER would be useful, ITEM NAME would also be a nice thing to have.

If there were a global switch for visibility for both CLONE NUMBER and ITEM NAME Custom Object plugins, that would be super-duper too!

Some users might even desire that ITEM NAME be applied automagically for all items, or be able to be applied en masse. This last is most likely: Select items, execute APPLY ITEM NAMES, and all items (Objects, Lights, Bones, and Cameras) the this Custom Object plugin applied simultaneously.

Parameters would include: Text color, text alpha, justification, offset, "Draw Line To:", and more....

Sensei
06-17-2015, 03:52 AM
Clone Number is whatever is in name of item:

f.e.

Null (10),
10 is clone number.

Isn't.. ?

That's how Extended Item Info from TrueArt's Node Library extracting Clone Index, by parsing item name..

raw-m
06-17-2015, 07:29 AM

f.e.

Null (10)
10 is clone number.

Isn't.. ?

That's how Extended Item Info from TrueArt's Node Library extracting Clone Index, by parsing item name..
Didn't know it was name based! Very handy to know. Can you add a brief description of each of those on the plugin web page? Those extended nodes are so useful!

jeric_synergy
06-17-2015, 08:23 AM
f.e.
Null (10),
10 is clone number.
Isn't.. ?
Sensei, there's something extra going on, because if you have a bunch of null clones, say 10, and rename #5 to "RENAMED", the name #10 vanishes and becomes #9.

I think it's some sort of kludge DEEP in the code that makes the # 'virtually' part of the name, as far as coding sees. But since the number is dynamic, some extra magic is happening.

Frankly, for my suggestion's purposes, evaluating the number as part of the name works perfectly well, and IMO it's more convenient to have just the number, as full names would clutter the interface quite a bit. There's all sorts of features that would make Clone Labeling more convienient: auto-apply, global visibility, selective visibility (hierarchy, siblings), etc.

If "CLONE NUMBER" were applied to a clone and then the clone (it would have to be a null, since mesh clones don't have their names changed) were renamed, it would simply not display any number.

Sensei
06-17-2015, 08:23 AM
Didn't know it was name based! Very handy to know. Can you add a brief description of each of those on the plugin web page? Those extended nodes are so useful!

I showed it on video tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJHSPseh8hU

You can name item (1001),
and use Extended Item Info > Clone Index to read whatever is in brackets.

There is no other way to learn clone index than parsing item name.

raw-m
06-17-2015, 09:16 AM
Nice Vid Sensei!

I agree that some kind of number overlay reference would be useful for texturing/displacements or some unwavering number is attached to each object and accessible via nodes (I don't think the massive long item ID number you see in the SE/Property/Name & Statistics is it). DP Part Move has a similar display thing, which can be handy.

Sensei
06-17-2015, 09:41 AM
Actually we can make custom obj plugin which will have option where user could enter ID,
and then 2nd plugin node, for reading this value from specified item, or self item.
It's just a matter of $$$ ;)

raw-m
06-17-2015, 09:48 AM
Actually we can make custom obj plugin which will have option where user could enter ID,
and then 2nd plugin node, for reading this value from specified item, or self item.

What isn't! Sounds like a bloody handy thing to me, though :D

jeric_synergy
06-17-2015, 10:00 AM
Under$tood, but users would want this type of labeling to be as painless* as possible. Grabbing IDs from clone numbers/names is one way, hierarchy index is another, user input is an option but the most laborious, etc etc.

FWIW, this feature occurred to me while I was using Spline Control.

*read "least amount of typing"

raw-m
06-17-2015, 10:30 AM
*read "least amount of typing"

or copy/pasting!

jeric_synergy
06-17-2015, 11:21 AM
Let's just say "user input".