PDA

View Full Version : Cross Sections

Tony3d
06-16-2015, 10:01 PM
Hi All, I have come to the conclusion that one of 3D's biggest advantages is to show off cross sections of products. I have been looking for any tutorials on the best ways to go about doing this, and can't find a thing. There must be some tips out there? I know Lightwave may not be the best tool for this, but it's all I have. Any suggestions?

prometheus
06-17-2015, 03:46 AM
Hi All, I have come to the conclusion that one of 3D's biggest advantages is to show off cross sections of products. I have been looking for any tutorials on the best ways to go about doing this, and can't find a thing. There must be some tips out there? I know Lightwave may not be the best tool for this, but it's all I have. Any suggestions?

might work decently with dpont boolean nodes in layout...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDWiHQLAqI4

thereīs also 3rd powers tools and boolean, but that would only work in modeler and you could record a session to showcase, but it wouldnīt be a rendered version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=18&v=8_sU7HrtuMY

clip map is also possible to use though I havenīt used it, check youtube for clip map reveal with lightwave if you can, I think there is something there.

Ztreem
06-17-2015, 04:19 AM
If you have LW2015 you have a new function called inside in the raytracenode that makes it quite easy to setup booleans in layout.

prometheus
06-17-2015, 04:34 AM
If you have LW2015 you have a new function called inside in the raytracenode that makes it quite easy to setup booleans in layout.

Faster and more stable than dponīt booleans node? I would have to check my discovery edition when I get home.

Ztreem
06-17-2015, 10:03 AM
Faster and more stable than dponīt booleans node? I would have to check my discovery edition when I get home.

Can't really say. I've used Dpont node once and I didn't get to work.

Tony3d
06-17-2015, 03:08 PM
Here's my first cutaway sort of thing. Still needs part numbers.

Ztreem
06-17-2015, 05:45 PM
Looks good! If its for a still then I usually just do the cuts in the model. I usually do all my manipulation in Rhino if its CAD data and then save a obj for render in Lightwave. But you can do all the cuts in modeler too, its just gonna take longer time.

jeric_synergy
06-17-2015, 08:00 PM
A 3 second video? With YouTube cutting off a second, I suggest (sarcastically) that maybe doubling it up to 6! seconds might be worthwhile.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmm, that might make me buy 2015.

prometheus
06-18-2015, 01:39 AM
A 3 second video? With YouTube cutting off a second, I suggest (sarcastically) that maybe doubling it up to 6! seconds might be worthwhile.

Lol...nah, itīs just showing a clip reaveal, doesnīt need to be longer.

it gives you more space in time to do other things than watching clips, for example doing the reveal yourself:neener:

I might check the bolean cross section cut again tonight with dpont boolean nodes, if it looks nice... I might do the whole process and record it, I might change speed rate so I can pull off one hour in to 6 seconds:D

why ztreem doesnīt get it to work? I donīt know.

dpont
06-18-2015, 03:43 AM
For Boolean shading, the RayCastGeometry node of 2015 is the winner,
faster because it uses the LW tree,
similar, selecting a target (or more)
you need to invert the Inside output
instead of the Inside/outside switch of DPKit,
as I remember it wasn't implemented for shading in LW11.

Denis.

Ztreem
06-18-2015, 07:08 AM
why ztreem doesnīt get it to work? I donīt know.

I tested it in a hurry in a project involving very complex and high poly count models and it didn't work out as expected. Rendered it out in layers and fixed it in post instead.