PDA

View Full Version : The Seven Deadly Job Search Sins

WilliamVaughan
06-16-2015, 05:33 AM
Over the years, I’ve given guidance to hundreds of students and colleagues in search of jobs as digital artists, and I’ve seen many mistakes that could easily have been avoided. I’ll discuss some of these common blunders here and offer suggestions on how to avoid them when you’re searching for work—whether it is your first CG position or the next rung up on your career ladder.

Each of the seven items I discuss in this article are key to landing a gig in this field and are the most common areas where I have seen artists go wrong. You may have personal goals and restrictions that may not allow you to be as flexible in each area described, and that’s OK. The goal is to be open to each as much as possible for the maximum number of job opportunities.

Click the link below to read the full article:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/seven-deadly-job-search-sins-william-vaughan

CaptainMarlowe
06-16-2015, 11:47 AM
I remember reading this one in HDRI magazine. I recalled the "stinky guy" part.

WilliamVaughan
06-16-2015, 12:10 PM
I remember reading this one in HDRI magazine. I recalled the "stinky guy" part.

Yeah...the "Stinky Guy" always stands out and is hard to forget :) The HDRI article was version 1.0 of this thinking. The book was version 2.0.

erikals
06-24-2015, 07:31 AM
if you are realistic in your chances in life, you're likely to get what you want...

...that said, nothing i saw ever beat passion

passion for something you don't like >enough< however is a tricky thing to get passionate about

i'd like to know how to get better at it, more easily. "brainwashing" oneself is one method...

guess i should read more up on that > "how to create passion"

sorry, bit off topic... http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/smilies/arteest.gif

...but i see it very very often, people who wants to be good at something (for example 3D) but do not have the passion...

could be many things, -bicycling -callingsomeone -love -getaperfectjob... etc.. etc...
none of those things will come to you without passion