PDA

View Full Version : Article on how to get work done!

WilliamVaughan
06-10-2015, 03:36 PM
The number one question I have received over the years is “how do you get so much done?”. Many artists struggle with starting and finishing projects. I would like to share 5 suggestions that anyone can adopt to their workflow to help see a project from concept to completion… every time.

Click the link below for the article:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-get-sht-done-william-vaughan

Gungho3D
06-10-2015, 07:35 PM
There has been one additional thought I've had for each project ...

... Invariably I want to shoot for the moon and, for sheer love of doing 3D, each time have a "would-love-to-reach-this-goldplated-outcome". However, there's no point re-creating Normandy when all that is being asked for is just a ship's rudder, so I've learned to temper my enthusiasm by making sure a base-line of "fit for purpose" is always in view. But still, sometimes there has been room for extra polish :-)

Davewriter
06-10-2015, 08:44 PM
Thank you!

All (of course) are good points.
The one that really hit with me was the Track Time.
I often approach something with the thought that "this will only take me..." only to find out just how wrong I can be.
But it is the tracking of it with the hopes of using it as a learning moment, rather than what I usually do, which is making the same mistake over and over again.
Once again, the obvious escapes me :)

erikals
06-11-2015, 12:11 AM
a nice read, thank you... http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

prometheus
06-11-2015, 02:32 AM
Thanks William, that is a nice simple yet useful article to help visualize and set up minigoals, Of course ..I also need to study Arnolds Schwarzenegger´s motivation quotes with advices on goal and focus as well :) not for bodybuilding though, but principles is valid through other motivation aspects as well.

I saw a clip on youtube about his life, motivation and dreams when he went to military camp, impressive focus.

Danner
06-11-2015, 02:40 AM
We have an in-house web app that was made specifically for tracking time, each artist has to select from a series of drop down lists what they have been working on. (project, area, task, date, time etc) It is amazing too see just how long things take once you see them on a spreadsheet. (we also joke that there should be a task added that tracks the time it takes for filling out the task sheet) This tool allows us to give clients a quote and a timeframe that are based on a realistic estimate of the time it takes to get things done. What I used to do to give estimates was to visualize each aspect of the job and imagine how long each would take, then multiply that by two. I was usually pretty close to actual production time.

Waves of light
06-11-2015, 05:31 AM
Really nice read and very useful. For time tracking we use https://toggl.com/ - it's free for teams of 5 and very easy to setup timesheets for separate projects. Reporting uses filters too, so you can see where time was spent on modeling, texturing, rigging, etc.

Shiny_Mike
06-11-2015, 11:50 AM
Good read. When I'm at my office I'm mostly offline. Only connect to internet to download textures/assets/tutorials - check email, then disconnect right away. Get SO much more done!

jeric_synergy
06-11-2015, 12:31 PM
One tool, if you can stand it, for preventing excessive Internet time-suckage, is "LeechBlock". NOT disabling it is the hard part.

Unfortunately, I constantly reference the i'net for questions/solutions, so not so much. LeechBlock WILL make it easier to avoid Facebook et al, and you can allow it to always enable, for instance, this forum.

antsj
06-12-2015, 03:28 AM
Thanks william v. for sharing the article you have written and posted in the link. I also found a couple of other authors & subjects interesting reads too.

I decided after reading the 5 points, I want to apply what I have read-learned. I will take the next day or two to set up a plan and set milestones. I will post a response in this thread or shoot an email or pm after 3-4 weeks and let you know any feedback and succees using these 5 steps!

aj

WilliamVaughan
06-13-2015, 05:55 PM
Thanks william v. for sharing the article you have written and posted in the link. I also found a couple of other authors & subjects interesting reads too.

I decided after reading the 5 points, I want to apply what I have read-learned. I will take the next day or two to set up a plan and set milestones. I will post a response in this thread or shoot an email or pm after 3-4 weeks and let you know any feedback and succees using these 5 steps!

aj

Looking forward to hearing how they work for you!

JonW
06-14-2015, 03:20 AM
If a customer asks for a job to be completed ASAP. Find out what the actual date the job needs to be done by & work out if you can do it by that date (less 1 day for small jobs & a couple of days for larger jobs).

Never do a job based on ASAP, commit to a date.

Complete the job by the date you agreed to. Excuses for late deliveries are not acceptable. Repeat, Complete the job by that date you agreed to.

Allow plenty of time at the end of the job. Repeat, allow plenty of time at the end of the job! & a if that is not clear, allow plenty of time at the end of the job, they always take longer than you realise!

This bit is critical. Finish the job 1 day before it’s due date. You can send the invoice and have cleared funds in your account.

JonW
06-14-2015, 03:29 AM
Many years ago I & another worker who was very good building physical models. We could work together & not say a word on the actually project & precisely know when each other needed backup on a particular task & could price jobs within dollars of each other with two different processes.

On one project we decided to write down (a long time ago) each hour spent on a particular task. We were both horrified how long we were spending on things we thought we were doing quickly.

An interesting situation:

One physical model we built took 12 weeks to complete, then the client asked for an exact copy, it took 4 weeks. Then they asked for a third one. It took 2 & a half weeks to build. Thankfully they did not ask for a fourth as by now we were bored to tears! All 3 were the same price! The first one was a touch cheap as we wanted the project.

erikals
06-14-2015, 04:53 PM
Never do a job based on ASAP, commit to a date.

+10