PDA

View Full Version : Scale by object?

squarewulf
06-10-2015, 03:28 PM
Is there a way to scale multiple objects inside of modeler based on individual objects? Say I had 3 seperate polygons and I wanted to make them all smaller but stay in the same location, how would I do that? Something kind of like point normal move but more on the effects of scale and not normals.

JoePoe
06-10-2015, 03:46 PM
Polygon Islands (https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/polygon-islands/)?

vonpietro
06-10-2015, 04:00 PM
Modify - smooth scale - negative value
Not sure if it does multiple objs though

JoePoe
06-10-2015, 04:07 PM
Modify - smooth scale - negative value
Not sure if it does multiple objs though

It sure does, but it's basically the same as normal move yes? Uses distance value as input.
I think he wants a % of scale of original... like Shift H dialog.

jeric_synergy
06-10-2015, 05:26 PM
First off, it's "sepArate". --"There's ARAT in the the middle of 'separate'."

I think the user want something like PolygonIslands, since s/he explicitly mentions "triangles". PNMove won't shrink unconnected triangles, for instance.

MSherak
06-10-2015, 06:08 PM
Is there a way to scale multiple objects inside of modeler based on individual objects? Say I had 3 seperate polygons and I wanted to make them all smaller but stay in the same location, how would I do that? Something kind of like point normal move but more on the effects of scale and not normals.

In reading this. An object has layers and layers are part of the same object. Scaling multiple objects means you have 3 different models loaded no matter the layer count for that model. So scaling and object based on a volume bounding box of another could be done.

Now in your example you say 3 polygons. What you are thinking is that each polygon has it's own local axis. This is not the case since the local axis is per layer. Now there are tools that will allow you to do what you are asking. Segment Scale (polytools.p) and Axis Scale (core_tools.p). Though you can do only one axis at a time.

-M

squarewulf
06-10-2015, 06:33 PM
Polygon Islands (https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/polygon-islands/)?

Exactly that!
I knew there had to be a way. Thanks!

I love you LW community.

EDIT: I can't seem to undo with this script unfortunately. Have to save the object just before use and hope its the correct amount.

JoePoe
06-10-2015, 07:39 PM
Exactly that!
I knew there had to be a way. Thanks!

I love you LW community.

EDIT: I can't seem to undo with this script unfortunately. Have to save the object just before use and hope its the correct amount.

Cool.
It does do Undo.
The script strings together multiple commands so you have to do multiple undos. And I believe it's related to the object count. Undos=#of islands + 1 (I think ;))

Edit: Added bonus.... Poly islands seems to work across multiple layers :thumbsup:.

squarewulf
06-10-2015, 08:44 PM
Cool.
It does do Undo.
The script strings together multiple commands so you have to do multiple undos. And I believe it's related to the object count. Undos=#of islands + 1 (I think ;))

Edit: Added bonus.... Poly islands seems to work across multiple layers :thumbsup:.

Strange, It completely wipes my undo history and says "can not undo previous action".

meshpig
06-11-2015, 12:58 AM
First off, it's "sepArate". --"There's ARAT in the the middle of 'separate'."

No, it's just the "par" as in pare, trim, cut-off :)

jeric_synergy
06-11-2015, 01:01 AM
Maybe "A RAT" is clearer? 0_o

Surrealist.
06-11-2015, 01:30 AM
Strange, It completely wipes my undo history and says "can not undo previous action".

Could it be your undo levels are set too low? Something to check. "o" panel/General (if you did not already know)

Lewis
06-11-2015, 03:42 AM
Basically LWM misses LOCAL mode like in layout so you can't do it native. Polygon Islands plugin works/does just that bu you have to be aware it'll be very slow on hi-poly stuff.

Surrealist.
06-12-2015, 06:55 AM
Another option of course is to do it in Layout and freeze trans object.

Lewis
06-12-2015, 06:58 AM
Another option of course is to do it in Layout and freeze trans object.

Unless you wan to do it on Polygon selection and not whole object ;).

Surrealist.
06-12-2015, 11:39 AM
Yep. That would but one of probably many limitations of such a solution. But using Layout for modeling needs is something you can take advantage of in certain situations.

And I read the OP as...

"Is there a way to scale multiple objects inside of modeler based on individual objects?"

Which would apply here as an option to do in Layout with perhaps even more control depending on what you are doing etc.

JoePoe
06-12-2015, 12:01 PM
Has Scale/Size in Layout been fixed in v2015 (after using Stretch or Squash first, that is)?

...or is it still a "one and done" situation?

Lewis
06-12-2015, 01:52 PM
Yep. That would but one of probably many limitations of such a solution. But using Layout for modeling needs is something you can take advantage of in certain situations.

And I read the OP as...

"Is there a way to scale multiple objects inside of modeler based on individual objects?"

Sure but then he also said "Say I had 3 seperate polygons and I wanted to make them all smaller but stay in the same location" so without seing what actually he is doing we can only asume tha those polygons are separate entitny or they might also be part of bigger mesh :).

Surrealist.
06-13-2015, 07:02 PM
Indeed. :)