PDA

View Full Version : Will old lightwave tutorials work with new lightwave ?

rednova
06-09-2015, 01:14 PM
Dear Friends:

I have books and video tutorials for lightwave 5 thru 9.
A friend's child, who is still in high school (senior) wants to learn animation.
I am thinking about to tell her, to get the educational version of the latest lightwave,
so that I can let her borrow from my collection of tutorials, so she can learn.
But I do not know if my old tutorials will work with the newest lightwave.
Any thoughts ?

RebelHill
06-09-2015, 01:35 PM
Dont waste her time...

Tell her to get the educational version of maya (which is free)... and go here... http://www.11secondclub.com/

Ryan Roye
06-09-2015, 02:29 PM
For modeler, you can go back to version 6-7 and the content would be just as relevant; the way you construct models has barely changed aside from a few new tools here and there. For animation, I'd set the cutoff point to version 8.

What has changed the most however regards rendering... any tutorial that doesn't use VPR, IPR, Maxwell, etc will not represent the immediacy of today's rendering techniques.

Does she at least have a hand in traditional animation in some way shape or form? That will put her many, many miles ahead of other artists in the 3d field easily.

prometheus
06-10-2015, 01:54 AM
I really donīt see any issues with doing old tutorials, I am sure most will work, but there have been changes so things might not be located where they were, and it might look differently and may have slightly different workflow she may run in to ...it doesnīt look like that and I canīt find this and that etc, but as far as functionality to perform the task within tutorials, I donīt think it should be any major problem except....I think sasquatch tutorials would not be possible to follow along with 2015, I think it is broken since a few versions back due to copyright issues...I think.

Otherwise I would recommend taking a serious look at the free student versions of 3dmax and maya, since I believe that is where most work is to be found when they hire folks, depends on where you live of course...and the business environment in the neighbourhood...I donīt know much about how lightwave holds up in the business area over there, over here..it doesnīt, and they donīt go out with ads looking for lightwave artist exactly.

Keep her interest for lightwave though, it is a great software ..and It might serve her well doing her own work as freelancer, or simply allow here to be creative on her own as an artist and create portfolios.

Snosrap
06-12-2015, 06:43 PM
Dont waste her time...

Tell her to get the educational version of maya (which is free)... Yeah and Maya is a monster that could easily turn her off. Of course LW could too.:) Blender is free and Modo has a trial, so maybe the best answer is to try them all and see what clicks with her brain. She's young so she has time to waste. :)

djwaterman
06-12-2015, 08:05 PM
If it's 3d she wants to learn, and she's a child, Blender, because it's free and actually good, if you've never used a 3D program before you would more easily adapt to its oddness. I don't see the point in spending money on a child if there is a perfectly good free alternative.

If it's just animation she's into, then there is also a free 2D program that is along the lines of Anime Studio Pro, it's called Synfig.

I love Lightwave but I think it would be unwise to push that onto a child, simply for the reasons of her future employment prospects.

Then there are lot's of free online tutorials and if she really is into it, she'll teach herself.

prometheus
06-13-2015, 11:19 AM
If it's 3d she wants to learn, and she's a child, Blender, because it's free and actually good, if you've never used a 3D program before you would more easily adapt to its oddness. I don't see the point in spending money on a child if there is a perfectly good free alternative.

If it's just animation she's into, then there is also a free 2D program that is along the lines of Anime Studio Pro, it's called Synfig.

I love Lightwave but I think it would be unwise to push that onto a child, simply for the reasons of her future employment prospects.

Then there are lot's of free online tutorials and if she really is into it, she'll teach herself.

Seems she is a high schooler, wich means almost entering adult hood, so just throw all 3d apps at her, and let her brain adapt to what looks interesting.
there are learning apps everwhere from lightwave demo+educational, houdini apprentice,modo demo, blender etc..I reckon showing what the different 3d software do, and where they play a role in making movies, design commercial is the guideline to
showcase...from there it is up to her own passion what she enjoys to do and have the skills for to adapt in to what might be a potentional craft in the future.

so just rack all of them 3d software up for here to get a market insight..maybe compositing too, give som links to their sites, what it can do etc.
Maybe she wantīs to focus on modeling for movie props, modeling for design and construction or making vfx...she needs to find her passion for what she wants to do, it can of course be tricky if you want all of it :)

DonJMyers
06-13-2015, 11:27 AM
Dont waste her time...

Tell her to get the educational version of maya (which is free)... and go here... http://www.11secondclub.com/

You are right. Maya is so cumbersome to learn only a small child will live long enough to do it.

Lightwave has an all-text interface that makes learning it much more intuitive.

- - - Updated - - -

Dont waste her time...

Are you just a paid troll from Autodesk?

ernpchan
06-13-2015, 11:48 AM
RH is hardly a troll for AD. I think his point is that

Why pay for an educational version of a software when the "industry standard" offers a free one. Why LW still charges for an educational license when the other options don't seems like shooting yourself in the foot.
Like it or not, Maya is primarily what people are hiring out there because it is "industry standard". (This can certainly be debated but this thread isn't the place for that.)

prometheus
06-13-2015, 12:00 PM
RH is hardly a troll for AD. I think his point is that

Why pay for an educational version of a software when the "industry standard" offers a free one. Why LW still charges for an educational license when the other options don't seems like shooting yourself in the foot.
Like it or not, Maya is primarily what people are hiring out there because it is "industry standard". (This can certainly be debated but this thread isn't the place for that.)

+1

Snosrap
06-13-2015, 02:54 PM
Debated is right. I think it really depends on what "industry". High end movie production industry - most likely. High end Coca-Cola type commercial production - sure. Mid-range commercial production - some. Low end commercial and TV production - not likely. Product design - not so much. The types of industries using of DCC packages and the ways they use them varies wildly.