PDA

View Full Version : better GL preview LWM and LWL

madno
06-07-2015, 03:54 AM
Hi,
I noticed that I could get a better GL preview when changing some settings in the Nvidia control panel. Seems so that LW does not use antialiasing features of the graphics card driver by default.

The effect in the example screenshots can best be seen at 100% zoom level.

Don't get confused by the app titles in the driver panel. For some reason it identifies the LW-2015.2 exes as shown in the screenshots.

VermilionCat
06-07-2015, 04:09 AM
Wow, huge difference. Good find! How about performance hit?

madno
06-07-2015, 05:12 AM
On my machine not noticable :-)
But it's a Quadro K6000 I got used on ebay.
Forgot to say that one needs to restart LW after changing the settings.

erikals
06-07-2015, 07:17 AM
cool...! http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/smilies/arteest.gif

ianr
06-07-2015, 07:31 AM
Nice bit og digging,

goakes
06-07-2015, 09:22 PM
Much nicer to look at, Modeler and Layout . Thanks.

OFF
06-07-2015, 09:56 PM
Thank you, cool advice!

mdesign
06-08-2015, 07:33 AM
Wow! That really rocks! Thank you!

allabulle
06-08-2015, 08:12 AM
Good find indeed. Thanks!

probiner
06-08-2015, 09:06 AM
Edge Anti-aliasing is nice but I value more the ability to change the wireframe opacity.
Attached a XSI capture with several opacity levels. Same option present in modo. This allows you to evaluate the surface and at the same time have toplogy visual cues.
Not always useful but welcome, is to be able to also highlight points. Makes some situations less dubious when modeling.

Anyways, thank you for the share. I judt think some of these display improvements could be solved on the app side.

Cheers

madno
06-08-2015, 03:40 PM
Hi,
glad you like it.
Hope nobody gets a performance problem.

jwiede
06-08-2015, 05:59 PM
Hi,
glad you like it.
Hope nobody gets a performance problem.

Well, depending on the graphics hw and the display resolution, invoking FSAA/MSAA can definitely incur a performance cost (depends on level of AA used, etc.). It can also lead to stability issues, unfortunately, as you're essentially overriding the app's settings without the app being aware of it, that always has potential for issues. For most users, it just becomes a matter of trial-and-error to see what their hardware can comfortably do without issues.

I definitely agree with Probiner, though, precise control over app OGL display AA is definitely best done within the app itself (as it is for modo, C4D, and most others), as part of the app composing its OGL stack/stream(s), instead of as a driver-level hack overriding the app's OGL stack/stream(s).

probiner
06-08-2015, 06:38 PM
Actually I don't mind AA at all. I welcome it. But which apps do it now? Maya? I only know for sure about Clarisse since the viewport is raytraced always.
My point was to the point that, there's more immediate profit in pushing to get edge transparency in LW than pushing for AA. They are cleaner than AA'es wireframe most times, since while the AA'ed edge is more pleasant to look at, compared to what we have now, it will still obstruct the model's surface. And the edge opacity can't be solved by the GPU. The app itself needs to have this in place.
Just so my point is a bit more clear, since the images I shared had no AA.

Cheers