PDA

View Full Version : CANstruction

dbuchter
06-05-2015, 10:24 AM
CANstruction is the process of building physical structures or sculptures out of tin cans. The goal is typically for a food drive. I have been recruited by my company as the creative lead on this. After searching Google Images on all the structures people have created, my first thought was "I will need to make a model of this first!"

So, what do you think would be the best (and easiest) way to build a model using various cans (and the color from the labels, which is a requirement)?

My first thought was to model the shape and have the cans be aligned to the points of the shape. Thoughts?

Thanks for your help - Drew

vonpietro
06-05-2015, 06:11 PM
HI,
Sounds like a fun project, here is what you can do easliy.
http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/soda-obj-free/760015
turbosquid has some freebies, this one looks the best of the free ones.

sounds like the right idea.
Simply load in any structure, including a hand - and instance the can - play with the settings until the instanced cans are aligned on the structure the way you like, be it square, sphere or boat, or pyramid, ect.
or you can position the cans and freeze the instance and further position them in modeler. use polygon selection to choose a can, press bracket to select all and move the can - this way you can quickly move the cans where you like.

There is also ways to clone in modeler using points. You can kill all the polys in a "hand" object and then point clone the cans on to the points remaining.

advanced placement seems to be more powerful than lw instancing - and may be worthwhile to pick up for your project.

=)