PDA

View Full Version : Multilayer texturing grass for games + weird OpenGL distance texture

Arch
06-04-2015, 03:28 PM
Hello. Yet another problem.

I have no idea how I can, for example, apply multiple textures to one material, so I can blend them through the others with an RGBA image or something. Multilayer texturing.

Something like that, the edge of the grass to gravel and sand. I know it's done with alpha maps and other stuff that I have no knowledge of how to do in LW or 3D in general.

Secondly, I get this terrible effect on my textures in LW because they don't have separate detail and distance maps. How to fix? It makes this "ugly grass single texture" even uglier.

EDIT: Most likely just OpenGL and not lack of maps. But if there is a fix, go ahead.

Although this is how it renders in DirectX, ie: relatively fine for being just a crap surface and tiling texture. EDIT: Better render.

Thanks a lot. This is my biggest problem. I have the artistic eye but no skill. :P

EDIT: I've also run into the problem of UVmapping the road and texturing it so it looks nice.

Arch
06-04-2015, 10:36 PM
Oh, also, I found out how to do the road. It's not as versatile as just magically making an UV onto an existing road, but it's basically how it's done for all games anyway.

Original segment, make UVmap, adjust, apply texture, rail clone onto rail in background, weld edges, never ever delete said rail just in case ;). Ask if you need more clarification.

Oh and it requires manual UVmap adjusting, and many UVmaps, if you plan to make anything complex. As usual. Still the easiest and fastest way I know to get real proper quality.

At the same time I am looking into weight maps for terrain tex.

Sensei
06-05-2015, 01:52 AM
I have no idea how I can, for example, apply multiple textures to one material, so I can blend them through the others with an RGBA image or something. Multilayer texturing.

Such operations the best to do in Node Editor.
You could use Tools > Mixer.
Obviously there will be needed surface baking at the end.

Are you familiar with baking surfaces?

Here is video tutorial of Batch Baking Camera (http://batchbakingcamera.trueart.eu)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMdNADKpYLM
It also shows how to set up Surface Baking Camera.

EDIT: Most likely just OpenGL and not lack of maps. But if there is a fix, go ahead.

Preview in VPR, and don't care about OpenGL.. ?

MSherak
06-05-2015, 11:18 AM
Hello. Yet another problem.

Something like that, the edge of the grass to gravel and sand. I know it's done with alpha maps and other stuff that I have no knowledge of how to do in LW or 3D in general.

Secondly, I get this terrible effect on my textures in LW because they don't have separate detail and distance maps. How to fix? It makes this "ugly grass single texture" even uglier.

Although this is how it renders in DirectX, ie: relatively fine for being just a crap surface and tiling texture. EDIT: Better render.

Thanks a lot. This is my biggest problem. I have the artistic eye but no skill. :P

EDIT: I've also run into the problem of UVmapping the road and texturing it so it looks nice.

Most games use a technique that utilizes vertex colors for the blending.. So each color channel is a percent of the texture assigned to it. Here is an example which you could recreate with nodes in Lightwave. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn0fWfrHtJM

-M

JoePoe
06-05-2015, 05:16 PM
Oh, also, I found out how to do the road. It's not as versatile as just magically making an UV onto an existing road, but it's basically how it's done for all games anyway.

Original segment, make UVmap, adjust, apply texture, rail clone onto rail in background, weld edges, never ever delete said rail just in case ;). Ask if you need more clarification.

Oh and it requires manual UVmap adjusting, and many UVmaps, if you plan to make anything complex. As usual. Still the easiest and fastest way I know to get real proper quality.

I'll say it again.... I am NO game asset expert.
But that seems really K-R-A-Z-Y :screwy: :D
You're hand welding cloned sections with the same map??
Sure I can see different sections here and there might need different/custom imagery and need to be done individually. But repeating clones????

UV Creeper will make child's play out of it! :)

MSherak
06-05-2015, 05:45 PM
I'll say it again.... I am NO game asset expert.
But that seems really K-R-A-Z-Y :screwy: :D
You're hand welding cloned sections with the same map??
Sure I can see different sections here and there might need different/custom imagery and need to be done individually. But repeating clones????

UV Creeper will make child's play out of it! :)

Learning how to create game assets does take a little bit of crazy.. Everything in games at some point are tiles or tiled in some fashion. No if's and's or's about it.

JoePoe
06-05-2015, 08:40 PM
Learning how to create game assets does take a little bit of crazy.

I've been called worse :D

JoePoe
06-06-2015, 08:04 AM
I've been called worse :D

And "stubborn" is one of them. :)

I still don't get it.

So, UV Creeper will give you a map like this 128544 (if you want to keep any decent resolution).... which I guess a game engine doesn't like??

But what about a quad poly map. A nice and clean unit... 128546 (done after road is made (before triple of course)).

And you can make your curvy road much much much more easily with all the available tools in Modeler.

:confused: