PDA

View Full Version : Google VR: anything we need to jump on?

jeric_synergy
06-03-2015, 12:14 PM
Do we already have the rendering tools to use Google's money for ourselves??

http://www.mettle.com/5-things-you-need-to-know-about-google-vr/

kopperdrake
06-04-2015, 07:57 AM
Tough one I think. Yes, I do believe VR and AR is going to be big, but only certain markets. Games for sure - if I were a developer I'd be building in VR support from the start. Film work maybe, maybe not. General opinion seems mixed on the ground where viewers are concerned. Some like it, some not. Some films benefot from it, some not. Same goes for TVs - it hasn't really caught on in the household as much as they'd hoped. Business can, and is, making big use of it, but often it's real-time stuff rather than rendered.

What it means for the actual artist I don't know, but anything - anything - that involves strapping something over what nature gave you is going to limit its market and plain old ease of access (can you be arsed to wear something to watch it).

I think the big market is going to be real-time rendering rather than our pre-rendered output. Interactivity is the cherry that will make people take it up more when it comes to real-time rendered applications. If you're in any market that can make use of that then maybe you should look into it. I can see VR interiors and arch viz working well, but the projects will need to be a certain size to warrant the time needed to develop the content. Sure, things will get easier and faster, but it'll take time.

jeric_synergy
06-04-2015, 09:00 AM
So, modeling, and even animation rigging might be a field, but rendering, no.

Danner
06-04-2015, 09:45 AM
There are movies being made with VR in mind so animated features are also viable. To export to VR with Lightwave just use the advanced camera at cilincrical 360, use a resolution with half the height as the width and upload that to youtube with the VR flag on.

SteveH
06-04-2015, 03:18 PM
I rendered out some frames with the camera settings you mentioned Danner. Any format (avi,qt, wmv) will work? If you animate the camera - let's say from Point A to point B - how does that work with Google cardboard? Is it - that while the camera is moving - the user can look around and have it look "real"? I just ordered Google cardboard - so I guess time will tell!

Danner
06-04-2015, 03:41 PM
it will work if you animate the camera, but don't move the pitch.
http://youtubecreator.blogspot.com.es/2015/03/a-new-way-to-see-and-share-your-world.html

SteveH
06-04-2015, 04:10 PM
D'oh! Good to know. I guess I'll rerender - no big deal. We live in interesting times.

spherical
06-04-2015, 04:46 PM
There are movies being made with VR in mind so animated features are also viable. To export to VR with Lightwave just use the advanced camera at cilincrical 360, use a resolution with half the height as the width and upload that to youtube with the VR flag on.

I've used that method, once the camera type became available. Prior to that, and still do, I set a camera at the location I want, set the FOV to 90 and render six frames; rotating the camera to the six vectors to complete a Cube VR.

SteveH
06-06-2015, 11:33 AM
I have rendered out a test movie file and run the linked software to embed the VR metadata to it. I haven't uploaded to YouTube yet as I don't yet have Google Cardboard. Just wondering though- this is what a typical frame would look like right? I mean look like typically - when you aren't looking at it with Google Cardboard. Does this look correct to you guys?

Danner
06-06-2015, 05:29 PM
yes, that is what it should look like.

Danner
06-06-2015, 05:33 PM
You can also play 360 videos without VR gear, just click-drag on the mouse to look around. Take a look at the example on the link I posted above.