PDA

View Full Version : Particles Revealing Texture Layer

Chrusion
06-03-2015, 11:17 AM
Is there a way to use DP Kit > Particle Info node such that when particles collide with an object's surface an image-mapped texture layer is revealed?

Basically, I am spraying a dense stream of particles at a rectangular object (rug) and need to reveal an image of sprayed on goo. The particles, at 600% velocity, are targeted to a null that follows a zig-zap path over 90 frames. The rug has FX collision and an additional FX collision plane is just behind it (to catch the "overspray"). Both are set to erase.

Slartibartfast
06-03-2015, 01:38 PM
There is a "particle paint" by DP that does what you want.

Chrusion
06-03-2015, 08:07 PM
Ha... eyes skipped right over that one... and I was looking for it. too. Anyway, added it to the native layer system, read and followed the scant directions on Dpont's site, and got multiple crashes... once when changing texture color, once when scrubbing time line, and finally gave up after it crashed Layout when activating VPR.

So, back to the original topic on node method.

Until then, I'll just render out a black and white sequence using black HVs sticking to the white rectangle and use that as a track matte alpha texture layer above the "goo" image texture.

prometheus
06-04-2015, 01:55 AM
Ha... eyes skipped right over that one... and I was looking for it. too. Anyway, added it to the native layer system, read and followed the scant directions on Dpont's site, and got multiple crashes... once when changing texture color, once when scrubbing time line, and finally gave up after it crashed Layout when activating VPR.

So, back to the original topic on node method.

Until then, I'll just render out a black and white sequence using black HVs sticking to the white rectangle and use that as a track matte alpha texture layer above the "goo" image texture.

yeah, dpontīs particle paint, yepp it feels proned to crash a lot, it also happens with some of the other dpontīs procedurals, I had a lot of crashes with
image bomber, Not sure ..I think I have talked with dpont about those crashes, but as I recall he couldnīt replicate the crashing behaviour on his system..a little of a shame since he has done a great job with those procedurals, but for me I canīt make the most of them since they just crash to often.
Could be a deeper issue in the lightwave layer system core too, I can sometime get a lot of crashes with other standard procedurals too, it often happens when copying and pasting layers and also when changing layer modes.

To resolve it ..it would take a lot of patience since you know your system will crash during the checkout process.
Michael

dpont
06-04-2015, 02:24 AM
I tested Particle Paint Texture on a Color Layer this morning,
setting an emitter,
tweaking a lot various parameters, VPR active,
on a quad core, never crashed.
Yes I need to reproduce for investigating this.

Denis.

omichon
06-04-2015, 03:13 AM
I had a lot of crashes with Particle Paint in some complex nodal setup, but from my experience, one recurrent reason for a crash is when the Max Particle number is exceeded.
Anyway, the biggest issue is the fact you have to render in one go (on one node). If it crashes during your render, you just have to start over again which makes it (almost) unusable in production. Another LW SDK limitation, as far as I understand it.

pinkmouse
06-04-2015, 05:58 AM
The Mac version of Particle paint is very iffy. It doesn't recognise impacts after a while and tends to hang.

dpont
06-04-2015, 07:44 AM
The Mac version of Particle paint is very iffy. It doesn't recognise impacts after a while and tends to hang.

May be not a Mac question,
rather a limitation of the "Stick" mode of the procedural,
since a particle may be dead or not more present on the surface,
its position is memorised temporary,
it works until you run the animation in preview or render
forward and frame per frame,
this is simple to reinitialise, just restart from frame zero,
that's also why ithe procedural doesn't work with LWSN
through a network.

Denis.

prometheus
06-05-2015, 05:56 AM
Bryphi77 has a nice alternative with nodes just released, check it here and make sure to like his vid and comment....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Drl97e8vP4

Sensei
06-05-2015, 07:04 AM
Anyway, the biggest issue is the fact you have to render in one go (on one node). If it crashes during your render, you just have to start over again which makes it (almost) unusable in production. Another LW SDK limitation, as far as I understand it.

Nope. Nothing to do with LWSDK.
3rd party node relies on internal data from previously rendered frame..
If it would have option to 'bake' what it calculates, it would work on renderfarm and random frame rendering would be possible.