PDA

View Full Version : External HDD recognition

skdvr
06-03-2015, 05:09 AM
I have noticed on our tricaster 460 that if I am in a session and plug in a external HDD, I cannot access it as a drive to save footage to. I can acccess it through browsing for content from a DDR or GFX player, but not if I am trying to select a drive to record video to. I have to exit the session and then come back in to see the drive.

Thanks,
Phil

JPulera
06-03-2015, 09:11 AM
Hi Phil,

It's never a good idea to connect drives, or any USB device, while in a LIVE SESSION. In fact, you should be seeing a warning message in the Dashboard (top of screen) when you do connect the device. Why not connect the storage drive before entering the live session?

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

skdvr
06-03-2015, 10:22 AM
Yeah, I know it is not a good idea, and I typically do not do it. In this case I had the tricaster fired up well before the show started (about 90 min before) to test video monitors, stream, and closed circuit TV stream. The HDD came from the client as they wanted to walk away with a h.264 file to review. They gave it to me about 60 min prior to the show starting. I plugged it in then figured I had plenty of time to log out and back in (always plenty of time right). Well a few things went sideways with impending thunderstorms so I was called away doing a few things, and I forgot all about it. About 10 min prior to the show starting I remember I needed to set their drive up to record to, but by that point it was to late to exit out and restart because the university was already streaming the video.

Just because you are working in a session does not necessarily mean you are doing live switching and such just yet. I would just like the ability for the tricaster software to be able to see a new HDD and it be selectable as a recording drive without having to exit the session.

Phil

PIZAZZ
06-03-2015, 12:16 PM
It is not necessarily the TriCaster software preventing you from doing this. Hard Drives that have not been formatted will not show up for instance at all until a partition and format is done. USB drives (if formatted NTFS for Windows) "should" show up if plugged in but sometimes you do have to go out to the windows desktop/admin mode to make the drive show up in windows. Once the drive shows up in Windows then you should always see it on the TriCaster.

I do understand what you are asking for, I agree that it would be very welcomed but I also know there are lots of variables when adding drives to a windows box that can muck up the process.

skdvr
06-03-2015, 12:24 PM
The drive was NTFS, and I could see it if I went to the DDR and hit the "+" button to search for content. Just not when I hit the gear on the record button. After I exit the session and come right back in, then I can see the drive. It really is not a huge deal, just a little something that I thought would be nice to have the ability to do. And I am certainly no windows or computer expert, so I wondered if it was not so much an omission in code, but rather a limitation of windows. Just seemed that since I could see the drive when searching for content that I should be able to see it in the recording options. Obviously when searching for content it is accessing Windows to navigate drives and folders, but in the record options it does not go to Windows at all.

Phil

- - - Updated - - -

On the NTFS thing, have either of you tried recording anything on exFat? The client is a MAC person and really wanted to keep it exFat, but I told him that I would only promise NTFS would work, since that is what Newtek suggested.

Phil

PIZAZZ
06-03-2015, 12:48 PM
T

On the NTFS thing, have either of you tried recording anything on exFat? The client is a MAC person and really wanted to keep it exFat, but I told him that I would only promise NTFS would work, since that is what Newtek suggested.

Phil

Only use NTFS. A Mac can read NTFS so they should be good to at least copy off the archive to a local drive for editing. Definitely should be good to just watch it.

Just a note though, At first I thought I read into this that you wanted to pull content off the USB drive. I didn't realize that you wanted to record to it. In the past I know the record panel specifically blocked recording to the external USB drives. With USB 3.0 speeds now I believe that thinking has changed. As a matter of personal preference, I never record directly to external drives. I will record to internals all day and night then just copy over the files when done to the external. If a quick turnaround is necessary then I just pull the drive out after the event and let them use it in a USB Dock. I just don't trust external USB drives for live production workflows.

skdvr
06-03-2015, 01:01 PM
Yeah, pretty sure that NewTek has even come out and said that USB 3.0 is fine to record to. I have tried it a number of times with no issue. Although I have only ever done it for a h.264 file, and at 8 mbs it really is not going to tax the writing capabilities of a drive. Thus far I have had no problems with it. Now I do not like to do it, if I do not have to. But again in this case we are talking about only having a few min to leave one event and get to another in a different place on campus. So even giving them a drive to copy off of is not something they wanted to wait for.

Phil

SBowie
06-03-2015, 01:07 PM
It's possible this restriction, which was entirely appropriate for older models, is still enforced on newer systems where USB 3 would be a different matter. I've opened a case to look into this.

skdvr
06-03-2015, 01:26 PM
Thanks Steve. Appreciate it.

Phil

SBowie
06-03-2015, 05:15 PM
Well, it didn't help much I'm afraid. I'm told we do not filter USB drives in the Record Config panel, which suggests a different problem at the root of this.

JPulera
06-04-2015, 07:53 AM
Newtek does recommend external USB 3.0 drives for recording, for instance with the 410 and Mini HD-4, both of which are capable of ISO-recording 4 streams, but have only one available drive that limits internal recording to two streams at once. On the Mini, I have in fact used a USB 3.0 "SSD stick" which looks like a large thumb drive, but actually has an SSD drive inside. Was able to record TWO streams of 1080i using Newtek QuickTime 4:2:2 until drive was filled up. No problem. On my PC edit system at home, I use external USB 3.0 drives for multi-camera HD editing, no issue.

One thing to be careful of when connecting external drives is that drive letters can shift around on you. I have a customer that records Program to the internal drive as QuickTime, and also records an "H.264 Web Quality" version of same to a small USB 3.0 drive for web use. However, when plugging in a standard USB thumb drive also, the drive letters were moving and suddenly the H.264 version is being directed to the small, FAT32-formatted USB 2.0 thumb drive! Luckily, TriCaster put up a warning in the Record panel.

EDIT: Another thought - if a client wants to supply their own drive "last minute", it's hard for you to know what the performance specs are - how full it might be, is it fragmented, how is it formatted, etc., so probably just looking for trouble in that scenario. Would be better off to record your OWN file using YOUR gear, then simply TRANSFER the file to their drive at the end of the event. An H.264 file will be fairly small and will transfer quickly via USB 3.0 (versus the very LONG transfers I'd done in the past on old TriCasters with USB 2.0 drives that can take an hour...).
Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers