PDA

View Full Version : Need help with avi quality

rednova
06-02-2015, 04:40 PM
hi all:

I make a small animation scene in lightwave 9.6
I render as an avi, 640x480 pixels and low alias with cinepak codec at 50 %
The avi works, but it looks a litttle bit ugly, like it flickers a little bit.
HOw can I fix this ?
I want the avi to look the best possible.

spherical
06-02-2015, 05:21 PM
Optimally, you render to an image sequence, not directly to an animation file format. Then, in an external application, like After Effects, create a Project and import the image sequence, making any adjustments in Exposure, Motion Blur, etc., and save the project. From there, use Media Encoder to link to the AE Project and encode to an animation format file. If you don't have AE/ME, there are alternatives that perform essentially the same functions. You can also bring the image sequence into Layout and render from it to an animation format, but wont have the flexibility or as many options as to the codec used. Generally, Cinepak isn't all that desirable. H.264 is generally better. When rendering to AVI, I use Uncompressed, so as to not throw away and data. This creates a huge file because it contains the most information to be used later. Compression should be done only at the final step.

Danner
06-03-2015, 01:28 AM
Even after you render out a sequence you don't want to compile it to an .avi, you are much better off converting it to a .m4v .mp4 or even .wmv

spherical
06-03-2015, 03:06 AM
Which, IIRC, all involve compression, yes? Of course, if taking the Media Encoder path and encoding directly from the AE or Premier Project files to the final compressed format, the point is moot.

W generally render first to an uncompressed AVI, just to be able to watch and evaluate the whole sequence, as it will be seen when compressed to the final destination format; not as a part of the actual path TO that final format.

jwiede
06-03-2015, 04:29 AM
hi all:

I make a small animation scene in lightwave 9.6
I render as an avi, 640x480 pixels and low alias with cinepak codec at 50 %
The avi works, but it looks a litttle bit ugly, like it flickers a little bit.
HOw can I fix this ?

You'll need to provide more info, if you want more than general hints and tips. Ideally, an example scene (with AVI settings), but if that's not feasible, even having info like FPS used, render settings, description of content, and so forth. A sample of the final AVI would also help, because while "looks a little bit ugly, like it flickers a little bit" might seem adequate description of the issue to you, you're able to view the output. For someone else who cannot, that description is highly ambiguous.

As the others have already recommended, it is highly recommended to render the scene as frames and then assemble to AVI separately, for reasons they've covered (partial render recovery is the big one). You already said you have Premiere for video editing, that is plenty adequate for the task.