PDA

View Full Version : Dynamics and MDD_Baker/Loader and object replacement help needed.

Snosrap
06-01-2015, 12:33 PM
I hope someone can clear this up for me. I've got a simple 10 object dynamics setup with 8 clones of a simplified stand-in low-res rigid body object and one static body ground plane. My nine simple stand-in objects fall and bounce around just like I want. I select those objects and run MD Multi-Baker to create MDD files and then import those MDD files using MDD Loader. Turn off Enable Dynamics and hit play. All is good, the sim runs fine as expected. Now what do I have to do to get the sim to run when I replace my stand-in low-res object with my higher res object? They just stay put. Thanks for any assistance.

mummyman
06-01-2015, 01:13 PM
Would that work with FX_Hardlink?

Snosrap
06-01-2015, 02:06 PM
Would that work with FX_Hardlink? That gives me the same point order issues as with the MDD loader. I tried Nodal Motion and that gets me away from point order issues, but the rotation axis seems messed up. Thanks for the reply.

mummyman
06-01-2015, 02:11 PM
Hmmm... I thought I've done this before... It's always a tricky / confusing order thing. So loading a high-rez and parenting it to the low-rez, applying FX_Meta link or Hardlink doesn't work?

Ztreem
06-01-2015, 02:26 PM
Option 1: Parent the hi-res model to the stand-in and hide the stand-in.
Option 2: use object replacement and switch to the hi-res version at render time.
Option 3: apply softFX to the stand-in object and go to editFX and choose a point and make path. Delete stand-in and parent hi-res model to the Null from the make path command.
Just a few from the top of my head, good luck!

mummyman
06-01-2015, 02:50 PM
Try loading your MDD through the old Cloth FX menu on the low-rez. Then parent the high rez to the low rez model and put FX_Metalink on your high rez model. Should work fine.

Ztreem
06-02-2015, 02:34 AM
I just realized that you can't use parent on mdd deforming object. So instead of making the bullet sim to a mdd file I would just bake the motion to keyframes and then you can just parent the hi-res object to the stand-in one.
If you have a UV map on the stand-in object you can also use the anchor tool to make the hi-res version follow the mdd deforming object.

Ztreem
06-02-2015, 02:53 AM
You can also just parent the hi-res model to the stand-in while you do the bullet sim, no need to bake the simulation.

mummyman
06-02-2015, 07:33 AM
You can also just parent the hi-res model to the stand-in while you do the bullet sim, no need to bake the simulation.

That didn't work for my test.. hi-res just sits there. Yours didn't need to be baked out first?

Snosrap
06-02-2015, 07:56 AM
Thanks for all the input guys! I ended up exporting the low-res dynamics scene as an FBX file and then loaded that file and replaced the objects with the hi-res versions. It may not be the best or most efficient solution, but it worked and got me on my way. I'll experiment with other methods once I finish this up. Thanks.

mummyman
06-02-2015, 07:57 AM
Awesome! There's so many different ways. I didn't realize FBX would work!

Ztreem
06-02-2015, 09:22 AM
Thanks for all the input guys! I ended up exporting the low-res dynamics scene as an FBX file and then loaded that file and replaced the objects with the hi-res versions. It may not be the best or most efficient solution, but it worked and got me on my way. I'll experiment with other methods once I finish this up. Thanks.

Smart! Whatever works is a good solution. Does sound like a quite easy and straight forward solution.

Ztreem
06-03-2015, 08:54 AM
That didn't work for my test.. hi-res just sits there. Yours didn't need to be baked out first?

Just tested again and it works for me. I do a rigidbody and then parent another object to it and when I hit play the child is following the ridigbody.

mummyman
06-03-2015, 08:56 AM
Just tested again and it works for me. I do a rigidbody and then parent another object to it and when I hit play the child is following the ridigbody.

Ah... that's why.. I was doing a deformation object. (squishy ball)