PDA

View Full Version : Can the video toaster help me ?

rednova
05-31-2015, 06:32 PM
Hi All:

I am using lightwave 9.6 on an athlon 1.6 ghz
I am using photoshop 5 for texturing, and premiere for editing.
I am only interested in animation, nothing else.
I know I need the editing part, to edit my animations, but i am already use premiere for that.
I always wanted to get a pc video toaster, but do not know if it can help me.
Can the video toaster help me?
What does the pc video toaster do that I can use ?
Thank you !!!

PS: someone offered me a used video toaster for $ 1000

ernpchan
05-31-2015, 06:43 PM
I don't think you need the toaster since you already have premiere. I believe the toaster is outdated at this point too.

ernpchan
05-31-2015, 06:59 PM
Why not spend the money upgrading to LW2015?

rednova
05-31-2015, 07:49 PM
That is a good idea !!!
Thank you !!!

jwiede
05-31-2015, 09:41 PM
Why not spend the money upgrading to LW2015?

Hmm, if using a (single-core, implicitly) Athlon 1.6GHz, they might be better off spending the money on new hardware more than anything else. That's ___old___ hw, and at this point, easily the biggest bottleneck in their system. Spending $1000 on a PC Toaster or even the LW2015 upgrade wouldn't give nearly the benefits a more modern PC would provide (and not just in LW, but across ALL software).

06-01-2015, 03:53 AM
Old toaster for $1k?
I would suggest you RUN from that "deal".

Listen to the sage advice given.
Robert

jwiede
06-01-2015, 05:36 AM
Old toaster for $1k?
I would suggest you RUN from that "deal".

Aye. First, $1K for an old PC Toaster seems a bit pricey (given it is an NTSC-era analog video device). Second, I have yet to hear rednova even describe a reasonable justification for a PC Toaster. Modern "prosumer"-class video editing will not automatically benefit substantially from it (esp. w.r.t. non-NTSC digital/HD video).

Again, given the PC hardware stated, and the uses mentioned, rednova getting more modern PC hardware (esp. more GHz, more cores, more/faster RAM) would likely provide vastly greater boosts in all software workflows, and that seems like a much better use for such money.

sadkkf
06-03-2015, 12:30 PM
Hi All:

I am using lightwave 9.6 on an athlon 1.6 ghz
I am using photoshop 5 for texturing, and premiere for editing.
I am only interested in animation, nothing else.
I know I need the editing part, to edit my animations, but i am already use premiere for that.
I always wanted to get a pc video toaster, but do not know if it can help me.
Can the video toaster help me?
What does the pc video toaster do that I can use ?
Thank you !!!

PS: someone offered me a used video toaster for $ 1000

Sadly, the VT is all but useless these days. VT5's editor was SpeedEdit, which I don't even think exists anymore. VT was good at chromakeying and simple video effects, but stick with Premiere if that's what you're used to. If you want something easier to use with more oomph, I prefer Sony Vegas. There are some pretty cool plugins available for it, too.

If you still want a Toaster, you can have mine for the cost of shipping.

rednova
06-03-2015, 05:45 PM
@ sadkkf

PM sent !!!!