PDA

View Full Version : Question on Syflex interaction with bones

dugieth
05-30-2015, 02:48 AM
Okay I have created a full character with bones in fully working order, is it possible to use syflex on a model at the same time as using bones?? I have tried using both but only the syflex physics seems to be working, and the bones no longer have an effect, is there a way around this?

erikals
05-30-2015, 03:36 AM
change displacement map order under object properties/deformation maybe ?

or subd map order under object properties/geometry?

VermilionCat
05-30-2015, 04:32 AM
It should work. Syflex updated last month so be sure to grab it.

Ryan Roye
05-30-2015, 07:21 AM
Yes, Syflex will work in tandem with bones.

However, be aware that this is an all-or-nothing thing. Even if you use pins/nails to anchor the sim down in specific areas, Syflex is still having to evaluate the entire mesh.

In which case, if that is unacceptable you will need the 3rd powers CageDeformer, which grants you the ability to selectively apply any deformation effect and stack those effects to your preference.

dugieth
05-30-2015, 11:27 AM
It should work. Syflex updated last month so be sure to grab it.

Hi there, thanks all for your replies, Hi Ryan I have cage deformer and I also have your syflex workflow guide which I purchased a few weeks ago, and its been very useful thanks, but I still have issues regarding the bones interaction, Here is a video of a simple bones syflex with cage deformer added scene, but as you see the bones stay in the same place, I can change bones position in the first frame only, Do I need to add the bones to the proxy mesh rather than the main mesh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwApALZCHw8&feature=youtu.be

Ryan Roye
05-30-2015, 12:53 PM
but as you see the bones stay in the same place, I can change bones position in the first frame only, Do I need to add the bones to the proxy mesh rather than the main mesh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwApALZCHw8&feature=youtu.be

This is because Syflex reads the mesh's state relative to the start frame and bases all of its calculations off that start point. In the latest update, syflex was made to not allow the user to move the object itself on any frame other than the start frame, avoiding errors in the process. If you want to drive your animation with bones, pins (with "soft" enabled) + proxy meshes are the way to go. The "soft" checkbox means that the pins will only loosely constrain the vertex points of the weight map, allowing some jiggle-room.

Here's a quick sample scene I whipped up that demonstrates this. The sycloth motions are being driven by only 2 polygons in this case, and those polygons are deformed by the bones of the actual object.

dugieth
05-30-2015, 01:20 PM
This is because Syflex reads the mesh's state relative to the start frame and bases all of its calculations off that start point. In the latest update, syflex was made to not allow the user to move the object itself on any frame other than the start frame, avoiding errors in the process. If you want to drive your animation with bones, pins (with "soft" enabled) + proxy meshes are the way to go. The "soft" checkbox means that the pins will only loosely constrain the vertex points of the weight map, allowing some jiggle-room.

Here's a quick sample scene I whipped up that demonstrates this. The sycloth motions are being driven by only 2 polygons in this case, and those polygons are deformed by the bones of the actual object.

Brilliant thanks, the only problem is when I load up the scene it asks for a file which isn't found called test3.lwo, the zip file has both files called syboxtest.lwo and skyboxtest.lwo but no test3.lwo.

Ryan Roye
05-30-2015, 01:26 PM
Brilliant thanks, the only problem is when I load up the scene it asks for a file which isn't found called test3.lwo, the zip file has both files called syboxtest.lwo and skyboxtest.lwo but no test3.lwo.

I forgot to re-save the file after renaming it, apologies. text3.lwo is syboxtest.lwo

dugieth
05-31-2015, 03:56 AM
I forgot to re-save the file after renaming it, apologies. text3.lwo is syboxtest.lwo

Thats what I thought initially lol, the reason I thought there was another object was the pin wasn't set to layer 2 in the syflex panel, but thats brilliant now I know how it works, you have been a great help much appreciated :D :thumbsup:

dugieth
05-31-2015, 07:16 AM
I have hit another snag, I followed your very helpful tips and the scene and object were a great help, is it possible to use morph maps in a scene using syflex? I have created a scene as the video shows below, and at frame 29 the eyes should be closed, if this isn't possible I guess I could use cage deformer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Qv-uM58nKk&feature=youtu.be

Ryan Roye
05-31-2015, 08:58 AM
Yes, that is something you will need cagedeformer for. There are various approaches, but I recommend creating a cage object who's sole purpose is to deform the base model with Syflex. This would give you the cloth-like effect without taking control away from your base character/rig, and also allows you to selectively apply that simulation to any part of the character you want. Optimize any proxy meshes you use as much as you can to keep scene running smoothly.