PDA

View Full Version : Is ButterflyNetRender the go to package for network rendering?

haroldini
05-28-2015, 11:04 AM
The studio I work at is looking into network rendering for Lightwave 2015.2. I (miraculously) managed to get a ScreamerNet up and running, but even using it a short time I could see where problems could arise in production.

I've looked around a lot and it seems that a lot of render managers haven't been updated to LW 2015. But I've found a couple that could fit the bill. ButterflyNetRender (http://www.liquiddreamsolutions.com/web5/index.php?option=com_jumi&fileid=4&Itemid=261) seems to be the popular choice, but I since the trial version doesn't support LW 2015, I can't know for certain if it'll be a good fit. Also there's Deadline (http://www.thinkboxsoftware.com/deadlineoverview/) that could be good, but seems a bit expensive.

Anything else people like to use?

Greenlaw
05-28-2015, 11:27 AM
I've used both BNR and Deadline in production situations. Both are very good.

I currently use BNR 6 in my private studio. There is a setup bug if you keep your third party plugins in a separate folder outside of the Lightwave plugins folder, which is really annoying. But once past that, BNR works very reliably and the developer is very good about supporting it. (Which reminds me, I need to remind him about this bug.) We used BNR back when I was with the Box at Rhythm & Hues.

I used Deadline where I was freelancing last year. Deadline works a bit differently from many render controllers in that there is no designated 'master' computer that runs the farm--the individual render computers actually talk to one another and lets the whole system know what's going on. I don't know if this is much better than a traditional setup but it might be more reliable in a heavy production environment, especially when you're under a tight, ahem, deadline. I had to contact their tech support a couple of times and they were very responsive and helpful, even though we were running an older version of their software.

I can recommend either one. Both controllers can also manage many other rendering programs, including compositing programs like Fusion and After Effects.

G.

haroldini
05-28-2015, 11:58 AM
I've used both BNR and Deadline in production situations. Both are very good.

I currently use BNR 6 in my private studio. There is a setup bug if you keep your third party plugins in a separate folder outside of the Lightwave plugins folder, which is really annoying. But once past that, BNR works very reliably and the developer is very good about supporting it. (Which reminds me, I need to remind him about this bug.) We used BNR back when I was with the Box at Rhythm & Hues.

I used Deadline where I was freelancing last year. Deadline works a bit differently from many render controllers in that there is no designated 'master' computer that runs the farm--the individual render computers actually talk to one another and lets the whole system know what's going on. I don't know if this is much better than a traditional setup but it might be more reliable in a heavy production environment, especially when you're under a tight, ahem, deadline. I had to contact their tech support a couple of times and they were very responsive and helpful, even though we were running an older version of their software.

I can recommend either one. Both controllers can also manage many other rendering programs, including compositing programs like Fusion and After Effects.

G.

thanks for the insight. didn't know that's how deadline works. cool.

Greenlaw
05-28-2015, 12:29 PM
FYI, about the BNR bug mentioned above, it's not a show stopper. For the time being, I'm just keeping a copy of our third party plugins inside the Lightwave folder and scanning it from there--BNR's setup and plugins Wizard works fine after that. It's not ideal but the alternative is to manually edit the configs, which is too much trouble if you update your plugins a lot, like I do. Hopefully, this will get fixed soon.

G.

Cageman
05-28-2015, 01:03 PM
Muster is another one that is quite good with LW. Should not be a problem with LW2015. It takes some time to setup, but after that it is quite a brilliant tool.

phillydee
05-28-2015, 01:38 PM
Lightnet Classic. Works for me and my 3 machines. The setup is a bit more "manual" compared to BNR probably but it does it's job and has the ability to re-order scenes, priorities, etc.

http://joejustice.org/lightnet-classic

works with LW11.6.x and should work with 2015 as it just duplicates the scene file to a *.lns file and uses that to fire to the screamers.

Good luck...

3D Kiwi
05-28-2015, 04:11 PM
We have been using deadline for the last few years with Lightwave, XSI and aftereffects. It is rock solid, cant recall the last time I had any issues with it. Only real problem is they can take there time supporting new versions of software. Another alternative is renderpal. It seams to work well with Lightwave.

haroldini
05-29-2015, 09:48 AM
I really appreciate all the feedback from this thread.

Side question: we're also considering switching to Octane for renders. How would that factor into distributed rendering?

Cageman
05-30-2015, 02:33 PM
Octane is compatible with Screamernet (if I am not misstaken). The licensing aside... any ScreamerNET controller should be able to render with whatever you've set as renderengine inside LW. I've successfully used Arnold and Kray with Muster. I simply just set the renderengine to be used inside of LW and save the scene.