PDA

View Full Version : Photoline 19 is out! Many improvements and additions.

Rayek
05-25-2015, 03:12 AM
The new version is out! This is a milestone release, with workflow improvements across the board, and many new features such as:

- placeholder layers to place external content. These update in realtime when changes are made to the external file;
- a new colour to transparency adjustment layer (think unmultiply black, or any other colour!)
- dehaze filter
- wipe effect layer
- variable width stroke options (wacom support)
- guide creator for easy grids and column/row setups. Guides can now be set to a formula!
- spot colours and overprint options;
- improved stamp (clone) tool

See http://www.pl32.com/pages/rnote.php for all the improvements. A more exhaustive list of all the smaller changes and improvements can be found here:
http://www.pl32.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4726

-----
Photoline is an image editor which provides a mostly non-destructive professional workflow. Full vector editing is also integrated. Its image editing is on par with Photoshop.

Photoline is compatible with most common Photoshop plugins, such as Topaz, NIK, and FilterForge, and loads Photoshop compatible brush and gradient libraries.

For a fraction of the cost of Photoshop, creatives and photographers receive a wide range of professional image editing and design features.

- 32 & 64bit versions, Mac and Windows. Fully Linux WINE compatible.
- 8/16/32bit per channel / RGB, CMYK, Lab, greyscale & monochrome
- Color management with ICC profiles and linear workflow
- all functions, adjustments, effects, filters, layers and masks work with 8-bit, 16-bit, and 32-bit images (full 16bit support unlike Photoshop which operates in 15bit)
- 47 available adjustment layers
- 18 available layer styles
- a layer in the layer stack can be any image mode and bit depth
- layer masks are regular layers, and may consist of multiple combined layers & groups(!)
- layer opacity from -200 up to +200 for easy inversion of blend effects or doubling an effect
- convert bitmaps to vector layers
- vector layers can be anti-aliased, and be aligned to the pixel grid. Photoline also offers a pixel view
- develop photos with a non-destructive RAW workflow
- retouching tools such as a remove brush, liquify, and many more
- PSD import retains most common adjustment layers & layer effects
- Import & export multi-layered 32bpc EXR files
- non-destructive rotate & scale
- external app link for easy round tripping
- rename images and create catalogs
- powerful image management: search, edit IPTC & EXIF data
- true PDF import & export with /x1a & /x3
- multi-page documents
- rich text & DTP functionality, spot colors
- web export, including WebP, image maps & GIF animations
- batch conversion
- record actions
- print multi-page documents, flyers & labels
- portable app on a USB-Stick support
- multiprocessor support
- Linux WINE compatible with LittleCMS colour management option for improved compatibility; tested and supported by the developers

erikals
05-25-2015, 03:23 AM
still peeking at PhotoLine every now and then...

thank you for info http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

---------------

p.s. would you know if this challenge was looked into somehow ?

Layer Size not rescaling >
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZafS4fWNKoY#t=3m30s

Move Lasso Selection >
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3vwtYHrPJg

Rayek
05-25-2015, 03:58 AM
Not sure about the first thing, but the lasso selection remains the same.

madno
05-25-2015, 05:25 AM
Played with it a little today and must say I am impressed.

Pointed it to the Magic Bullet Looks plug in folder and it worked without any issue.
Loaded an uncompressed 300 MB EXR -> handed it over to the Magic Bullet plug in -> applied changes -> played with PhotoLine's histogram and curves layers -> no issue, blazingly fast, and all this in full 32 bit.

Rayek, I am glad you mentioned PL in the other thread. Heard about it before but thought it's another simple painting app.
They just got a new customer.

(and the dark skin issue I mentioned in the other thread is gone in V19 :-)

Rayek
05-25-2015, 05:58 AM
Have you noticed yet that you can actually switch to a different colour space while working with the curves? Switch to Lab, HIS, and HSV on the fly! No more need to switch image modes to do that Lab move. And working with HSV and HIS colour spaces opens up a whole new world of possibilities. Also not possible in Photoshop.

It really is quite powerful - in cases even more so than Photoshop. I switched two years ago to Photoline because I was looking for a viable professional grade Photoshop replacement for image editing. It has not disappointed me so far. Some of the terminology is different, though. It takes some getting used to.

jwiede
05-25-2015, 06:18 AM
Just upgraded here. I've been a Photoline customer since v15 or so, and have been very happy with it and the handling of its development. This looks like another solid upgrade, to an already amazingly solid package. Anyone looking for a Photoshop alternative, esp. cross-platform with deep printing support, should seriously give Photoline a try!

djwaterman
05-28-2015, 07:15 AM
Glad to hear that it can load Photoshop brushes. I've bought a number of those and I would miss them.

Rayek
05-29-2015, 08:08 PM
Glad to hear that it can load Photoshop brushes. I've bought a number of those and I would miss them.

It can also load up Photoshop gradient libraries in the newest version. And PSD support is very good: even the most common adjustment layers are imported.

Rayek
08-26-2015, 02:06 AM
Just a quick update on the latest developments. A number of excellent improvements in the betas:

- radically improved emboss/bevel layer effects, which are production ready now. In versions prior to the latest betas the effect was marred by strong artifacting, and more often than not unusable.

- true pixel snap for all layer types, including bitmaps, shapes, text, etc. Finally! This can be controlled on the document level, and on a per layer basis.

- Photoshop PSD file import improvements: artboards support(!) and smart object support for SOs with image content (even layers in the psb are supported). Smart objects are imported as embedded placeholder layers - pretty much the same workflow as smart objects.
Which means two workflows are available: virtual instanced layers, which update in real-time (unlike Photoshop's SOs and no equivalent exists in Photoshop), and "true" smart objects of which the content (either externally linked or embedded) can be opened in a separate window, and edited. Saving the changes updates the "SO" in the main document.

- SVG interchange format to send layers as SVG to external applications, such as InkScape. Easy round-tripping indeed.

- PNG layer export was improved, and any layer with effects applied will be sent as a transparent flattened file to external applications. Again very handy, since it allows for external web optimization tools to be integrated seamlessly, such as ColorQuantizer.

- HDR files can be directly imported now.

- external files may be embedded in their placeholder layers.

- many workflow improvements so far, and tools are amended and improved as well.

Only beta 5 so far - looking really good.