PDA

View Full Version : targetting different objects

a_chisholm
12-04-2003, 03:18 AM
when targeting your camera at an object. Is it possible to change the target object or switch it off in the middle of an animation?

Mylenium
12-04-2003, 07:55 AM
Nope, and it's not really necessary to have such a function for normal things like camera animation (for IK, it often is however). All you need to do is to parent your Target to yet another null object and animate that one. At the point in time where you want to "switch" you simply animate the target itself instead of the parent Null.

Mylenium

12-04-2003, 08:11 AM
If you need to switch target from one moving object to another in mid animation, I'm pretty sure that there are a couple of scripts on flay that can switch the parenting of a null from object to object ( invaluable for picking up swords !)
but why not just edit your finished aimation ?

anyway, camera targeted at object produces a rather unnerving and unnatural effect in a shot of any length, it looks much more natural if you simply animate your target null with as few keyframes as possible that way you can chang subject at leisure.

a_chisholm
12-05-2003, 02:48 AM
@Mylenium, i think i get you. Do you mean that you create a blank object, target the camera at it and then move the blank object when required and the camera will follow? That's genius. It'l work perfectly for this animation.

@Adrian, i'l check that out. I'm not sure if i agree with you. I think a targetted camera looks perfectly fine. I am making a sort of 3d diagram/instructional animation where realism is not that important and clarity IS, so it suits my needs ok

SplineGod
12-06-2003, 03:33 AM
There are plugins on flay to change targetting I believe.
Its pretty easy in LW to Myleniums suggestion and use LWs built in PARENTER plugin to dynamically parent the target null to various objects over time. :)