PDA

View Full Version : Did Lightwave break Sasquatch?

nelson
05-18-2015, 12:45 PM
Okay, I posted a LW - Sasquatch problem last week, and I'm still trying to get it to work.

I'm using a Sasquatch Demo Scene "Grass and Weeds". I'm on Windows 7, plenty of Ram.

When I render a frame in LW 11.6.3 with Sasquatch 1.85 it gives me a nice render. I immediately render the same frame again, without changing any parameters, and I get fibers and clumps in some different places.

Multithreading seems to make it worse. This could be used for a still frame, but doesn't work for animations. I've used Sasquatch and Lightwave off and on for many years, and am at my wits end.

Has anyone run into a weird problem like this? I keep thinking it's one simple thing I'm missing. Hyperthreading? Lightwave software change?

Thanks for any suggestions,
Kent

sudac20
05-18-2015, 04:07 PM
Sas no longer works with weight maps. If you want predictable results use UV maps and paint with values.

Dodgy
05-18-2015, 06:47 PM
I noticed the latest version of Sas seems to be broken. It only rendered fur in lines along the edges of sub-d objects, not in the middle. I reverted to an older version I had and that fixed the renders.

nelson
05-19-2015, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the assistance. Dodgy, which Sasquatch version works for you? I think I may have the version before 1.85.

Kryslin
05-19-2015, 10:21 AM
The current version didn't have a version number update - 1.85 was the last version before the 11.5 version. Prior to getting 1.85, I had problems getting Sasquatch to Render Fur properly - I had to change when the model got subpatched to get it to work. Under normal 1.85, I've had no problems, from LW 9.6 to 2015.2 ( I was busy last night making sure it did work correctly).

1.85 (pre 11.5) seems to work the best. 11.5 runs a bit slower in my experience.

sudac20
05-19-2015, 02:34 PM
Sas no longer works with weight maps. If you want predictable results use UV maps and paint with values.

Yes that is annoying... to fix render your sas as a separate pass and composite in post. I have been using Sas it works fine. FiberFX is getting close but its just not there yet(unfortunately)

Kryslin
05-19-2015, 03:23 PM
S' Funny, but I have no problems using weight maps w/ Sasquatch 1.85 (pre 11.5 version) in Lightwave 2015.2. I agree that UVMapped Textures give you more fine control, but you get more immediacy with weight maps.

nelson
05-20-2015, 07:15 AM
Thanks for the info folks, I'll see if I can get the pre 11.5 version from Worley. I'll post my results for anyone else who runs into this time-wasting problem.

From my little experience with FiberFx, it's still to much of a CPU hog to use very efficiently.

Thanks again,
Kent