PDA

View Full Version : How to deal with Modeler/Layout Disconnect?

haroldini
05-15-2015, 10:32 AM
I constantly find Layout and Modeler disconnected. Best I can figure is the cause is I start them at separate times from files in windows explorer. the only way I can remedy it is to close modeler and reopen it from layout.

Is there a way to reconnect Layout and Modeler without closing and reopening? Or is this something I'll just have to be more mindful of in the future?

spherical
05-15-2015, 04:30 PM
Well, there's not enough info there to go on, as there are a few causes possible.

Are you using any command line switches to start Layout or Modeler that would disable the Hub or run them in Isolated Mode?
What software firewall are you running? There are known issues with AVG, and a couple of others, for instance.
Does your SW firewall have rules set to allow communication between Layout & Hub and Modeler & Hub?
When the disconnect happens, is the Hub icon showing in the System Tray?
Are you setting the three executables to Run As Administrator in their Properties dialogues?
Is LightWave installed in /Program Files directory tree?

jeric_synergy
05-15-2015, 06:16 PM
FWIW, I set up an AHK script that launchs HUB, Layout, and Modeler. Starting HUB first seems to be the important thing. (Although it's not supposed to be necessary any more. LW11.6.3)

Yeah, it's maddening. (W7 here.)

Dodgy
05-15-2015, 09:50 PM
I found that AV software can cause that disconnect. I have the microsoft defender only on now and it works fine.

haroldini
05-16-2015, 02:52 PM
Are you using any command line switches to start Layout or Modeler that would disable the Hub or run them in Isolated Mode?

No. I'm just double clicking the files from their folder in windows explorer.

What software firewall are you running? There are known issues with AVG, and a couple of others, for instance.
Does your SW firewall have rules set to allow communication between Layout & Hub and Modeler & Hub?

I use windows defender for my antivirus. I just added exceptions to Layout.exe, Modeler.exe, and Hub.exe. So we'll see whether that helps or not.

When the disconnect happens, is the Hub icon showing in the System Tray?

I'm not certain. I think sometimes it is, and sometimes it isn't. When it isn't I'll run the Hub, but it doesn't sync Layout and Modeler.

Are you setting the three executables to Run As Administrator in their Properties dialogues?

I haven't. Should I?

Is LightWave installed in /Program Files directory tree?

Yes.

- - - Updated - - -

FWIW, I set up an AHK script that launchs HUB, Layout, and Modeler. Starting HUB first seems to be the important thing. (Although it's not supposed to be necessary any more. LW11.6.3)

Yeah, it's maddening. (W7 here.)

Do you think it would be a good idea to simply have the Hub start when I log in?

- - - Updated - - -

I found that AV software can cause that disconnect. I have the microsoft defender only on now and it works fine.

Microsoft Defender is what I've been using.

jeric_synergy
05-16-2015, 07:00 PM
Do you think it would be a good idea to simply have the Hub start when I log in?
All I can say is, "it works for me". I'm told that LWO modification/updating should work without the HUB, but I also want the convenience of F12, which here only appears to work at all if the HUB is running.

This should be much easier.

( LW11.6.3, W7 )

spherical
05-17-2015, 03:02 AM

If you see the two applications in the Launch sub-menu of the Hub, just start the Hub first and launch both from it.

I'm not certain. I think sometimes it is, and sometimes it isn't. When it isn't I'll run the Hub, but it doesn't sync Layout and Modeler.

IIRC, trying to get the Hub to see the other two applications that are already running won't work. Either they launch the Hub when they start or you do the above.

Yes, you should set each of the three executables to Run As Administrator in their Properties > Compatibility tab. This solves permissions issues in a lot of cases.

haroldini
05-18-2015, 08:29 AM
If you see the two applications in the Launch sub-menu of the Hub, just start the Hub first and launch both from it.

IIRC, trying to get the Hub to see the other two applications that are already running won't work. Either they launch the Hub when they start or you do the above.

Yes, you should set each of the three executables to Run As Administrator in their Properties > Compatibility tab. This solves permissions issues in a lot of cases.

I think just to avoid any future headaches I'll make sure to start the Hub first. Kind of annoying, but whatever.

Also just set the three .exe's to run as admin.

Thanks for the help.

-------
EDIT

When changed the .exes to Run as Admin, they no longer could read from the server that I keep my files on so I had to switch them back. Any clue as to fix that?

spherical
05-18-2015, 04:40 PM
Try disabling the firewall. Run As Admin should make things easier, not more difficult. Could be that the FW is suspicious of comms having elevated perms.

What is the network topology of the workstation file server?

ncr100
05-19-2015, 06:00 PM

haroldini
05-21-2015, 03:31 PM

too true.