PDA

View Full Version : Toaster 3

technorev
03-05-2003, 11:34 PM
I just read the press release on the Toaster 3. I have two questions. The spline controller on "all parameters of the toaster edit." What does that mean? Specifically will we now have the ability to have soft edges on for instance PIPs? Second question will Toaster 3 accept alpha channel clips without having to import them into Aura and convert them into RTV clips.

Just for the record, I support paying for the upgrade. I want to encourage further development.

Paul Lara
03-06-2003, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by technorev
will Toaster 3 accept alpha channel clips without having to import them into Aura and convert them into RTV clips.

well, there is not really a standard for alpha implementation in AVI, so that will not likely change in T[3].

Just for the record, I support paying for the upgrade. I want to encourage further development.

Thank you for your continued support of Toaster's development!

ScorpioProd
03-06-2003, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by Paul Lara
well, there is not really a standard for alpha implementation in AVI, so that will not likely change in T[3].

Hmmh... Well, if it really isn't a "standard", then how come Aura has no problem with it?

If Aura can do it... ;)

randallstu
03-08-2003, 11:06 AM
Paul,
You didn't answer his first question. Will there be soft edges on P&P?

Randall

Paul Lara
03-08-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by randallstu
Will there be soft edges on P&P?

Yes.

ted
03-08-2003, 02:03 PM
Paul, Shhhhhh!
Little by little, bit by bit, we're beginign to get a better picture of this incredible new upgrade.
Are you sure you don't want to call this Toaster 4.0;)

randallstu
03-08-2003, 02:43 PM
Paul,
Thanks. That's good news. Can't wait.

Randy

bradl
03-08-2003, 07:08 PM
The original announcement about T[3] contained:

- 3D Positioning within ToasterEdit
- Spline editor for all parameters within ToasterEdit.
Two questions...
1. Does that mean full xyz rotation with perspective?
2. Spline control of the path parameters to create "ease in/out" type movements?

Paul Lara
03-08-2003, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by bradl
1. Does that mean full xyz rotation with perspective?
2. Spline control of the path parameters to create "ease in/out" type movements?

A double "ya HUH" on that, Brad. :D

Any image or clip, with or without alpha, can be moved/positioned/rotated as can do now post-process within Aura, except it's real-time in TEd.

Anything that can be keyframed today, can be keyframed with full spline control, and you can even add regions of influence between spline nodes!

Brian Peterson
03-08-2003, 08:55 PM
Paul,

The Re-designed DV support and capture, does that mean we will finally be able to record a DV signal as a DV without having to use a 3rd party program?

This would go a long and I mean a long way to convincing wedding videographers that T3 is something to look at.

johnnylandrover
03-08-2003, 10:12 PM
Paul,
Most of my footage shot to date is DVCAM. My deck has SDI & firewire out. When I use SDI out, I use up about a gig a minute. If I use firewire out, will I save five times the harddrive space since it's a 5-1 compresion, and it should be identical to the SDI captured footage, Correct??

Johnny

P.S. Media 100 wants to send me to NAB, so I will buy there product. If I buy I T3, will you send me to NAB.:D

bradl
03-09-2003, 01:57 AM
Paul Laura wrote...
Any image or clip, with or without alpha, can be moved/positioned/rotated as can do now post-process within Aura, except it's real-time in TEd.

Anything that can be keyframed today, can be keyframed with full spline control, and you can even add regions of influence between spline nodes!That is fantastic!

I believe VT is going to be cranking out more of my broadcast spots in the near future. I still have a long list of wants, but please tell me we will have soft shadows...

how about masks, garbage mattes or stencils...?

DVE moves on overlays...?

Keep up the good work!

ScorpioProd
03-09-2003, 02:00 AM
Yes, transfering DVCAM via firewire as its native 5:1 compressed would look identical to uncompressing it and SDIing it over to Toaster.

Since DVCAM is your source and not doing anything else to it.

If you need to do multiple operations to the video once it is in your computer, involving multiple save operations, like complex layering and compositing not done "all at once", then saving it as an uncompressed RTV would still be cleaner than compressing/uncompressing as DV, of course.

But for normal stuff, it would look great as DV in Toaster.:)