PDA

View Full Version : Mad Max

BokadCastle
05-14-2015, 09:06 PM
saw Mad Max Fury Road yesterday in Sydney near Fox - loved it, non-stop action and fab effects.
- there's a couple of reviews calling Charlize Theron a feminist heroine, but don't let that put you off.

It's one big car chase, or rather vehicle smash-up.
There's no story 'cept they drive flatout into the desert, turn around and charge back - so sorry if I ruined the story for you.
Not much dialogue, just grunts and shouts with heavy Australian accents.
No character stuff, if you're an arthouse type you won't like this - just don't go and then complain.

Great vehicle designs, visual effects, CG, stunts, costumes, face masks, weapons...and a wild ride.

jeric_synergy
05-14-2015, 09:35 PM
- there's a couple of reviews calling Charlize Theron a feminist heroine, but don't let that put you off.
It wouldn't.

shrox
05-14-2015, 10:08 PM
saw Mad Max Fury Road yesterday in Sydney near Fox - loved it, non-stop action and fab effects.

It's one big car chase, or rather vehicle smash-up.
There's no story 'cept they drive flatout into the desert, turn around and charge back - so sorry if I ruined the story for you.
Not much dialogue, just grunts and shouts with heavy Australian accents.
No character stuff, if you're an arthouse type you won't like this - just don't go and then complain.

Great vehicle designs, visual effects, CG, stunts, costumes, face masks, weapons...and a wild ride.

Would you say it's an untold chapter from the rather eventful life that Max has?

BokadCastle
05-14-2015, 11:24 PM
There are flashbacks to the child, his child I think.
Other than that I don't see this as other than an event on the Max journey.

safetyman
05-15-2015, 05:21 AM
Looks awesome. Whoever designed the make-up for this deserves an Oscar.

50one
05-15-2015, 05:23 AM
Gonnae see it tomorrow, cannae wait!

ianr
05-15-2015, 06:35 AM
Just give me Charlize like madeup like that,phowa

for the evening that'll impress the neigbours,eh

Seriously now, Tom is now a world class act in many

situ's Try & catch him in ' Child 44' a stunnning

performance,. HE's even acting Both Kray -Twins

in a spatter & cutlass remake as we post.

hrgiger
05-15-2015, 06:52 AM

Why would that put anyone off?

I enjoyed the movie, thought that visually it couldn't have been much better. And happy to see they didn't rely too heavily on special fx for a lot of the sequences. Charlize was really good, still not sure how I feel about Tom Hardy as Max. He wasn't the most interesting character in the movie either.

Ernest
05-15-2015, 08:27 AM
Why would that put anyone off?

I was going to ask if you are new to the Internet, but then I remembered that a friendly tone doesn't carry through text.
But really, whatever sites you've been on in the last year, stay there; the rest of the Internet is not really worth visiting.

jeric_synergy
05-15-2015, 11:37 AM
What Ernest said: I just avoid the doucheteria. Sometimes the odors get out though.

++++++++
Let's reflect on flexibility: George Miller is 70, and he has done both Mad Max and the Babe movies.

What catchphrases can we expect from MM:FR? My favorite from RW is "Two days ago I saw a rig that'ld pull that tanker...."

JoePoe
05-15-2015, 01:52 PM
I don't mind one long spectacular chase scene....... as long as the editing/continuity is top notch.

MM:BTD "Ladies and gentlemen... boys and girls... dyin' time's here."

Davewriter
05-15-2015, 07:59 PM
I was shocked upon reading that it was getting rave reviews at Cannes film festival.
As in real and honest raves!
Hell must be at least frosting up a bit.

jasonwestmas
05-15-2015, 09:03 PM
Beautiful Film and Amazing stunts. I still miss good character development though and this film had zero.

GregMalick
05-16-2015, 01:08 AM
Haven't seen it yet BUT 98% on Rotten Tomatoes?

Is it really that perfect?

jasonwestmas
05-16-2015, 06:28 AM
Haven't seen it yet BUT 98% on Rotten Tomatoes?

Is it really that perfect?

As a story it was as simplistic as you can get so it wasn't like that part was a challenge to get perfect. Draw a perfect circle in photoshop and you will get my meaning.

Visually stunning and fun to watch in a circus performance kind of way, that was my experience. :)

50one
05-16-2015, 03:45 PM
Amazing! Saw it today and what a ride! Quite literally, that guy with guitar was pure rockin haha.
Looking for a character dev? It's based on 80's action movie. For me it was something else and all the designs props kinda made sense - usability wise. Wicked!

ianr
05-19-2015, 11:53 AM
Well, that put the E back into EPIC,

The Night-time desert lighting was Masterful,

The attention to detail on design... Stunning.

(i.e. what looked like Tudorish quilted design
inside the tanker cab roof at 6 foot away,was
actually the skull design exactly like the rockface
reveal at the pipes of the life-giving waterfall)

The Mig Welding... Hoodful.

What A ride 50 one,but I feel its 15mins too

long & a hard thing to trim.

An Oscar Nom for Cinematography here.

P.s. I wonder if they crash into T. E. Lawrence
via the storm in the next outing? l.o.l

prometheus
05-19-2015, 02:14 PM
An Oscar Nom for Cinematography here.

Havenīt seen it yet, but from the trailer I saw, I can agree that it seem to have a very very nice cinematography indeed, I liked that part so far.

mummyman
05-19-2015, 07:16 PM
The story was basic... but that's a fine fit for that style. Reason why I loved it, and IMHO was that there wasn't heavily CG / ****** FX. Was for the most part heavy / grounded / realism made physical objects. The way Hollywood should be. Using CG is awesome, but it used to be a last resort. This movie brought me back to that. Great stuff. Hope for the sequels.

BeeVee
05-20-2015, 02:44 AM
I saw it on Sunday and thought it was like the Namibian desert it was filmed in - vast, magnificent and mainly empty. It certainly shows that stunt people should have an Oscar devoted to them and that CG isn't everything (yes, I know, blasphemy here :)). Cinematography and sound were magnificent - this is a film you absolutely have to see at the cinema, no matter how good your Home Theater setup is. I saw it in 2D and apparently the 3D version is well-done.

B

prometheus
06-06-2015, 08:33 AM
Some CGI and set extensions are there though, the toxic storm is amazing, Hereīs an article of making mad max fury road, not much in detail, more a basic coverage.

http://www.cgsociety.org/news/article/221/making-mad-max

would like to know how many different fluid volumetric passes they did, and how large the voxel size was on that, and also how large in real scale metrics they simulated it in, and if they needed to rescale in comp to match live photo etc.

erikals
06-06-2015, 05:23 PM
i'm more in the "it was ok" seat...

i wish it was more extreme, thought it kinda felt like a PG13 movie...

did like it though

KurtF
06-06-2015, 10:56 PM
Same here. Liked it, but didn't love it. Design, cinematography, choreography, all amazing. Story - well "there ain't no story" just a big car chase out, then back again. Kinda weird. But loads of fun.

meshpig
06-07-2015, 04:36 AM
Expiation for road-rage, a bit long in the tooth though:)

djwaterman
06-10-2015, 05:18 AM
Just returned, didn't like it really.

50one
06-10-2015, 05:34 AM
Just returned, didn't like it really.

Did you ask for refund?:hey:

MarcusM
06-10-2015, 05:41 AM
This movie should not have tittle Mad Max but Mad Furiousa. Max character was an outlier. Next time would like to see Gibson and good story.

50one
06-10-2015, 06:00 AM
This movie should not have tittle Mad Max but Mad Furiousa. Max character was an outlier. Next time would like to see Gibson and good story.

I would suggest anyone to re-watch the "old" Max movies.

- Max was never a main character
- Women always played huge part (1 - his wife / granny, 2 / that bow wielding woman, 3/ Tina Turner)
- Those movies were never really connected, even tho some plots would suggest so

Gibson? Yeah, I would love to see a 60 year old fart, playing a bad-*** in wasteland, how can you even reach 50 and stay healthy in bad lands with no healthcare:)

probiner
06-10-2015, 06:01 AM
The film had character work, just not much development, meaning, other than Nux, characters are pretty much the same from start to finish. I still think Max was the pov of the movie, just that the events around him, overwhelmed him, simply as that. Especially in the end it's like simply a group of people he passed through in his journey and the next movie could be anyone else. Like a traveler's story, which at each circunstance is not about the traveler himself, but the things he faces and people he meets. What I missed was an impact of the events onto Max's character.

Cheers

MarcusM
06-10-2015, 06:22 AM
I would suggest anyone to re-watch the "old" Max movies.

- Max was never a main character
- Women always played huge part (1 - his wife / granny, 2 / that bow wielding woman, 3/ Tina Turner)
- Those movies were never really connected, even tho some plots would suggest so

Gibson? Yeah, I would love to see a 60 year old fart, playing a bad-*** in wasteland, how can you even reach 50 and stay healthy in bad lands with no healthcare:)

I will stay with my opinion. Movie was interesting but Charlize Theron was "Max" in this part and i expect something else.

ianr
06-10-2015, 07:44 AM
Some very Freudian analysts here ,so what.?

WE TOLD YAH
its a tour de force ,
a warm bath of lunacy
thrown over one,
just giggle ,suck it up you
Sigmund's out there.

Homer is not gonna sue!

jeric_synergy
06-10-2015, 08:27 AM
...... simply a group of people he passed through in his journey and the next movie could be anyone else. ....

That's pretty much the formula, no?

50one
06-10-2015, 08:29 AM
Why some people complain about strong female in a movie as main character? If that would be Max then it would be like any other movie or 98% of them, I think it was quite refreshing and something un-expected.
I can see why some people didn't like it, but hell I'm surprised they went see it since they kinda knew what to expect:)

S

dsol
06-10-2015, 09:44 AM
Hardy was awesome, Theron was awesome, Hoult was awesome - EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS MOVIE WAS AWESOME!

But if anyone didn't like the fact the film didn't follow a typical hollywood narrative (in 99.9999999% of movies, it's a dude saving a girl), well I guess that's.. dunno.. a pity. I thought the feminist elements were pretty refreshing for the genre, and meant it really worked at two levels - as both an astounding action movie, and a societal critique

djwaterman
06-10-2015, 10:20 AM
Did you ask for refund?:hey:

Luckily we had free tickets. I wouldn't ask for a refund anyway since they can't be responsible for how I feel about a movie. I'm not going to go into why I didn't like the movie but it wasn't anything to do with the strong female character.

jeric_synergy
06-10-2015, 11:29 AM
About the only thing I didn't like about the movie (despite my preferences for WORKING futures tales) is that FOR ME, the action leading up to Immortan Joe's death were spatially confusing. Maybe I blinked, but I just didn't follow the action there. My companions mentioned the same.

This in contrast to Max and Furiosa's knock-down drag-out tussle, where everything was crystal clear.

50one
06-11-2015, 01:54 AM
I had this thought after seeing the movie

[spoilers]

So...all the women ruined their place (soil became toxic...) so they decided to take over Joe's place (Joe had everything running in order, rule of law, rationing water - they're on a friggin desert! etc.) so what did they do when they first get there? Release all the water to the mases - lol. Probably will ran out of it in two days haha. So yeah, there's this aspect of strong females, warriors...but kinda brainless and with no leadership skills lol

probiner
06-11-2015, 03:18 AM
You're baiting? :D Raimbo approves!

http://i.imgur.com/68BpJoW.jpg

jeric_synergy
06-11-2015, 12:19 PM
I loved the movie, but don't get the "no CGI" buzz: aren't set (landscape) extensions considered CGI nowadays?

ianr
06-13-2015, 08:49 AM
Yeah ,some have got their knickers caught on no cgi.
Well the toxic cloud i think that had over 20 comped sims
Bet that heated up the old Rfarm.
Joe's waterfall probably Houdini f,s
The only ' in your face 'cgi i could see was, the conceit or gag
with the steering wheel at the close.,
Then again i remember using hi grade fishing line to dangle stuff.

Surely the Art of artistic success is not
being able to tell what is Set ext,or prop,etc

Again,to recap I think it will get an Oscar nomination 4 Cinematography...

dsol
06-13-2015, 09:12 AM
And note: even the flying guitar and steering wheel skull at the end were photographed real elements (shot on green screen). There's a lot of CG in the film, but crucially it was used to enhance the live action photography - there were almost no all-CG shots. Compare and contrast to your average marvel or Micheal bay flick...