PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to freeze flocks?

haroldini
05-14-2015, 11:37 AM
I'm trying to populate the floor space of a large concert stage with a crowd. I tried using a fairly random point cloud with instances, but there was a lot of overlapping between the models. Flocking seems to work better, but the models still occupy spaces they shouldn't.

Is it possible to freeze a flock so I can delete/move the instances around?

Or is there a better way I should be approaching this. There isn't any animation in the instances. I just need static bodies.

Mr_Q
05-14-2015, 11:44 AM
To avoid overlapping the best thing to do now is set Instance type to Surface and set distribution to Uniform and max out the relax to 40. This does its best to keep the instances from overlapping. It's not perfect, but better than nothing.

For flocking you can export a PFX file. Then maybe see if there's some tools for using only one frame of the PFX file.

Lastly, make a point cloud manually in modeler. Tedious, but a solution.

haroldini
05-14-2015, 11:50 AM
To avoid overlapping the best thing to do now is set Instance type to Surface and set distribution to Uniform and max out the relax to 40. This does its best to keep the instances from overlapping. It's not perfect, but better than nothing.

when you mean instancing here, are you referring to instancing with flocking? because my problem with the flocking isn't that the models are overlapping with each other, but overlapping where the stage is.

For flocking you can export a PFX file. Then maybe see if there's some tools for using only one frame of the PFX file.

i can take a look at that thanks.

Lastly, make a point cloud manually in modeler. Tedious, but a solution.

i tried this, but maybe i can give it another shot. is there anyway to make sure that points are always a certain distance from each other?

RebelHill
05-14-2015, 11:52 AM
If its just static, then a point cloud in modeler is easiest... To keep a certain distance between them, simply merge points after u create the cloud, with your distance val.

haroldini
05-14-2015, 11:57 AM
If its just static, then a point cloud in modeler is easiest... To keep a certain distance between them, simply merge points after u create the cloud, with your distance val.

ah dur. man that's brilliant. thanks. going to try this right now.

EDIT:
worked like a charm.

prometheus
05-14-2015, 03:43 PM
ah dur. man that's brilliant. thanks. going to try this right now.

EDIT:
worked like a charm.

yepp..quite nice tip.

you can use standard particles too, with particle interaction, correct weight and resistance in main particle tab and use bounce for interaction let it play a bit over 100 frames, then maybe save out pfx..but you can also start with a partigon emitter and when you are satisfied with the particle interaction and radius, you can save out particles as points from which ever frame you want..use save Trans, which will save out the particles as points ..but it only works with partigon emitter, you can also use hv emitter and then use a hidden command called
particle to partigon, then save out trans object.

So that is one option if you do not want to paint point clusters, to use particle interaction you always have to use the calculate button.

This might be handier than using point cloud in modeler, since you can control it in layout and see how it looks like together with instances, and with modeler and merging points..you can not get exact number of points you want, with particles you can set it up to be exactly the points you want.

Michael

prometheus
05-14-2015, 04:30 PM
Yupp...you can do the same with the Flocking system, what I mentioned above with particle2 partigon to Freeze flocking particles to points, so if you run a flocking simulation and is satisfied at a certain frame, use the particle2partigon command, and then save out as trans obj, clear the partigon in the scene, and reload the saved one if you want to move that cluster properly.

Freezing actual instances I donīt think you can do, you can bake them to original object and save out, but that is overdoing it...so just save out the flocking particles in freezed format as I mentioned.

Edited...Note...If you add cloth fx(calculate) to the saved point cluster, then you can go to edit tool and move individual instances around.

Michael

Surrealist.
05-14-2015, 07:29 PM
Another approach for something like this would be to base it off of existing geometry in Modler using a grid that covers the space you want to fill and use Point Clone Plus with some random centering on the X and Z. Yet another option :).