PDA

View Full Version : How to model a D10 and D12 dice?

Paul_Boland
05-12-2015, 08:00 AM
Hi Folks.

I'm trying to model the six standard dice - D4, D6, D8, D10, D12, D20. I have modelled the D4, D6, D8 and D20 easily enough, but am having real issues trying to figure out how to create a 3D model of the D10 and D12 dice perfectly. I thought the D12 would be easy enough by just creating a pentagon polygon and then building the sides up and aligning them and stuff, but my model turned out not very symmetric looking. And the D10 dice faces just look like a nightmare!

I am supplying a pic of the dice. Can anyone give me some tips on how to create the D10 and D12 dice successfully?

Thanks.

JoePoe
05-12-2015, 08:10 AM
D12 (dodecahedron) is one of the options in the Platonic Solid Tool (Create Tab > Primitives > More > Platonic Solid)

Let me think a sec on D10....

Okay.... here ya go. 128223

I'll be back again with a little breakdown.

seghier
05-12-2015, 08:49 AM
d20
you can use dodecahedron and merged 5 points average than lwcad to correct the shape

Paul_Boland
05-12-2015, 09:44 AM
Awesome!! Thanks very much :)!!

JoePoe
05-12-2015, 04:42 PM
Glad you've got a sample and sorry I never made it back till now.

The overall shape is pretty straightforward but getting all the faces to be planer is a little trickier.
I guess that's what seghier means by "lwcad to correct".

I don't have lwcad so I did it in stock LW 11.6. (I think it's much the same method though)

If you need help getting things planer, give a shout.

Paul_Boland
05-12-2015, 05:11 PM
The overall shape is pretty straightforward but getting all the faces to be planer is a little trickier.

I don't have lwcad so I did it in stock LW 11.6. (I think it's much the same method though)

Thanks. Once I had the basic shape of the dice, I just tripled it to deal with that. Appreciate all the help, I have all my dice created now.

ernpchan
05-12-2015, 05:16 PM
I had a D100 and a D50. They weren't very practical but they do exist.

Paul_Boland
05-12-2015, 05:17 PM
I had a D100 and a D50. They weren't very practical but they do exist.

WOW!! Do you still have them? Can you post a pic? I'd love to see those.

JoePoe
05-12-2015, 06:00 PM
Thanks. Once I had the basic shape of the dice, I just tripled it to deal with that. Appreciate all the help, I have all my dice created now.

Okay, but I wasn't talking about "planer" for rendering reasons.
If the whole side isn't planer one corner won't meet the ground the same as the others.
Only really an issue if you're super close I guess. You should be fine. :)

ernpchan
05-12-2015, 06:12 PM
WOW!! Do you still have them? Can you post a pic? I'd love to see those.

No, if you google for it you can find one. It's just a ball with a bunch of facets. Inside of the ball are small weights to make the ball stop rolling when you roll it. It wasn't very practical.

seghier
05-13-2015, 03:24 AM
Glad you've got a sample and sorry I never made it back till now.

yes also we can extend edges and they all intersect in the same point ; i don't know how we can do that with lightwave ; maybe place two planes in two sides and use the intersection to build new face

JoePoe
05-13-2015, 08:40 AM
yes also we can extend edges and they all intersect in the same point ; i don't know how we can do that with lightwave ; maybe place two planes in two sides and use the intersection to build new face

Basically..... yes.
1) Extend two edges (as two point polys) that would eventually intersect, put one in the background, do a boolean stencil to get the intersection point. Use that point to build the "pyramid" polys.

The next option is a bit less labor intensive, and, is how I did my original....

2) but, this option is a little harder to describe in words :).... Align points of an Icosahedron (or Dodecahedron..... nice touch) to the Y (or any) axis. Then you only need one guide in background (as visual reference) to stretch the top and bottom points to make the polys planer.
(edit: with the Icosahedron, combining pairs of polys is necessary. I like the Dodecahedron better. But instead of selecting points, merging average, and deleting the resulting one point poly..... I just used Collapse Polys (on both at the same time). One click ;))

MSherak
05-13-2015, 10:41 AM
Easy way to make "Dice" looking models use the Platonic Solid interactive plugin (or Platonic which is just a panel) that comes with Modeler.

-M