PDA

View Full Version : Lw Directory setup

Kuzey
12-03-2003, 06:03 PM
Hi gang.

Is "A" the correct way to set up a lw directory.
I use "B"....so I can keep all my related files (object, scenes, images) in the same folder.

Lightwave Projects = Content Directory.

Topcat = Individual Project folder.

Thanks for the help.

Kuzey

Libra-75
12-03-2003, 06:17 PM
Itīs the B alternative for Me too. Right or Wrong? I donīt know. It feels like the most logical way to do it I think. ;)

mlinde
12-03-2003, 06:33 PM
I'm a fan of "B" because of project portability. However, if you re-use elements from different projects you need to copy stuff around, or look into "A".

wapangy
12-03-2003, 07:37 PM
I use B too.

WizCraker
12-03-2003, 09:08 PM
B

A Mejias
12-03-2003, 09:10 PM
I use a variation of "B."

I don't bother making folders for Scenes, Objects and Images.

I dump everything into the Job folder (Topcat), because the OS will sort and filter file type for me.

On complex projects, I make sub folders for components of a Scene and put the related Objects and Images into those folders so they can be copied around to other projects. Such as folders for \Topcat-Char-Setup\; \Topcat-Car\; \Topcat-House\; \Topcar-Girlfrind-Char-Setup\.

Nice neat and easy to manage. I don't know how the old "A" method started or why it's still around. :confused:

wapangy
12-03-2003, 09:24 PM
I have the following folders in my B config:

archive
audio
envelopes
frames
images
motions
movies
objects
previews
reference
renders
scenes
skytracer
surfaces

Lightwolf
12-04-2003, 05:32 AM
Lemme chime in :)
B, defniteley. Much easier to back up too! I actually try to create folders for my complete projects, including stuff outside of lw, like this (including "Render" "Flows" (Digital Fusion), "Video" etc...).
Cheers,
Mike

12-04-2003, 08:03 AM
My office has a sensible policy that everything to do with each job should be in a master directory for each job that can be archived as a lump for future total recovery if required.
So we have a nice big server presenting a single drive (mapped as 'J' for jobs drive by a logon script for all machines)
[This drive is backed up on 2 cycles ( giving 'by day' recovery for 4 weeks and 'by week' recovery indefinitlely) this is divided into folders for each project coming through the firm, folders being named with sequential project numbers, and when a project is completed it is transferred onto another drive cluster where it is write protected.]
So all my LW stuff has to be within that 'J' drive - which is permanantly set as my LW 'content directory'.
As we have loads of ACAD & graphics & admin stuff in there too, each project has a LW folder containing 'Objects' & 'Scenes' folders, but I have single 'LW Images' , 'LW stock objects' & 'Motions' folders at the end of the J drive.
Still renders go into a folder in the project, but outside the LW folder, animation renders go into a separate (not backed up) raid - and get transfered to VT as soon as each render is finished.
The 'Motions' directory is particulaly important, because I have found that for network rendering .pfx files and (sometimes?) .mdd files can only be found by lwsn if they are in a folder called 'Motions' in the root of the content directory - if they are within a sub folder they are found by LW from any machine, but not by lwsn !
I can use LW or lwsn on any one of 15 mashines and never 'loose' a file.

Matt
12-04-2003, 12:24 PM
I set mine up like A, because:

a) only need to set content directory once

b) it's just as easy to back up

Kuzey
12-04-2003, 02:56 PM
Oooooooh this is a great thread...Thanks everyone :p

Kuzey

FenrirWolf
12-04-2003, 03:08 PM
I lean towards A myself, as I like to be able to reuse textures and setting without having to go hunting around for them, or worrying about multiple copies of the same file floating around on my HD.

If Windows support real symbolic links in its file system, I would definately be using method B, however. That way, if I reuse texture XYZ, I could just sym-link it from another project.

But I guess that'd make backing up a nightmare. :)

A Mejias
12-04-2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Matt
I set mine up like A, because:

a) only need to set content directory once

b) it's just as easy to back up

"B" needs the content directory to be set once also and it's much easier to backup a job from one folder than it is from several and having to recreate that jobs folder structure.

mats4d_
10-19-2004, 10:39 PM
Hello,

Thanks for a great thread ! how do you set up the content directory "B" once? Im trying to move to the B system but I have to reset the content dir. with every different project I open.. Im sure there's got to be a way to define a dir. on a per-project basis..

any ideas??

thanks !

Matt-

A Mejias
10-20-2004, 01:54 AM
Hello,

Thanks for a great thread ! how do you set up the content directory "B" once? Im trying to move to the B system but I have to reset the content dir. with every different project I open.. Im sure there's got to be a way to define a dir. on a per-project basis..

any ideas??

thanks !

Matt-

Sounds like you're doing something wrong. You should set your content directory to the "Lightwave Projects" folder NOT the individual project folders. Otherwise you're defeating the purpose.

Note that if you've already been saveing projects with your content directory set incorrectly and you switch to the correct method you will have problems opening those scene files. Once you tell LW where to find the objects, textures, etc. for those scenes you'll need to resave those scene files.

mattclary
10-20-2004, 05:48 AM
B with a Render folder beneath Images. Seems like I did it that way because F-Prime always wants to save to Images by default and I'd rather dig in than back out and have to dig in again.

The only pain is every project I use an HDRI with, I have to copy it. The alternative isn't very appealing to me though, so I'm over it.

mats4d_
10-20-2004, 11:34 AM
Thanks to A. Mejias.

yeah I missed that folder issue.. it works just fine now.. Ive never bothered to switch to the B system, but I agree its way easier to keep things organized..

I will slowly move all the projects to this system, might take a while :)

thanks again !

A Mejias
10-20-2004, 12:17 PM
BTW, you can change the default location of the Image, Render, Motion, etc. folders by editing the LW config files.

MooseDog
10-20-2004, 09:28 PM
"A" because screamernet enjoys it too :D seriously reduces network rendering probs down the line. also makes it easier for me personally to re-use objects among different scenes. 2cents :cool: over.

A Mejias
10-20-2004, 10:03 PM
"A" because screamernet enjoys it too :D seriously reduces network rendering probs down the line. also makes it easier for me personally to re-use objects among different scenes. 2cents :cool: over.

Screamernet works just fine with "B." Only problem SN has is with spaces in folder or file names. Not sure if they've fixed that, but I avoid spaces, just in case.

I also have no problem with multiple copies of the same object or image files. Chances are if you are re-using them you're reusing them for the same project/client and wouldn't need multiple copies. It's just a lot easier to Zip or backup ONE folder, than it is to hunt around for all the files. Plus hard drive space is cheap now.

About 10 years ago I paid over $600 for a 500MB drive. I can buy a Tera Byte for less than that now. And it would get filled in a couple of weeks. ;)

riki
10-21-2004, 03:59 AM
I don't have a set Lightwave Project Folder. I like to keep client work and my personal projects seperate. Plus the vast majority of client work is archived on external drives. I also like to keep finished projects on my Firewire Drive in a self-containned state, so that they're not sharing files with other projects. Plus I also keep a collection of 3rd party content and Tutorial projects on another drive. I can't imagine having them all in the one folder, it would drive me nuts.

The other day I alterred my pref files so that the default folder for renders is 'Renders' rather than 'Images' becuase I'd to keep this exclusively for Image maps. I haven't checked to see if it works yet though.

Matt
10-21-2004, 04:54 AM
"B" needs the content directory to be set once also

not if you're changing from project to project.

exit6
10-21-2004, 12:09 PM
I go "client:jobname:" then B. I have a folder in there for frames also. I do web work, and it's kind of the same principle. That way each project is self-contained, and can be moved all in one go.

A Mejias
10-21-2004, 05:39 PM
not if you're changing from project to project.

Please read my post ( #15) that answers that question. It sounds like you're doing something wrong.

To further clarify:
The Content Folder NOT a Project Folder. It should NOT be set to a Project Folder. In the illustrated example the Content Folder is named "LightWave Projects." That name may be the cause of all the confusion. For clarity it should really be named "LightWave Content."

Regardless of what you name your Content Folder the Project Folders go inside it. You can add, copy, delete, and rename any or all of you Project Folders without ever having to change you're Content Folder. That is the beauty and simplicity of method "B." It ensures portability.

One variation of method "B" that I use is multiple Content Folders. I'm currently running LW 5.6, LW 7.5 and LW 8 and I've created one Content Folder for each. If you only run one version of LW you wouldn't have to do that. You could use it to keep personal and work project separate. If old projects are archived, then you shouldn't have too many Project Folders inside your Content Folder and it should be easy to keep everything in one place.

I hope that clarifies things for everyone. :)

exit6
10-22-2004, 02:52 AM
Ok I thought I had it and now I've lost it.

Matt
10-22-2004, 04:22 AM
Please read my post ( #15) that answers that question. It sounds like you're doing something wrong.

Not doing anything wrong, because I prefer method A!

So when you set your content directory to the top level, does it go to the correct object, images, scenes folders when you try to load either type? Or do you have to go to a relevant project, then either object, image, scene etc. (unless it's all in one folder)

Because using method A takes you to the correct folder, then you just choose the project.

Matt
10-22-2004, 04:31 AM
Bottom line is, either way works just as well, it's down to user preference, neither method is better than the other!

Lightwolf
10-22-2004, 04:35 AM

To further clarify:
The Content Folder NOT a Project Folder. It should NOT be set to a Project Folder. In the illustrated example the Content Folder is named "LightWave Projects." That name may be the cause of all the confusion. For clarity it should really be named "LightWave Content."

Regardless of what you name your Content Folder the Project Folders go inside it. You can add, copy, delete, and rename any or all of you Project Folders without ever having to change you're Content Folder. That is the beauty and simplicity of method "B." It ensures portability.

O.k., in this case I actually don't seem to be using method B, because it seems to be more hassle, especially with loads of projects and thinking about screamernet and stuff.

Since we work over a server anyhow, I just create a LW content structure within the project folder (which may contain other assets too, depending on the project, or DF flows for example).
I also copy "standard" re-usable assets (like certain reflection maps) into the project, because this will allow me to later on quickly backup the project, without having to worry about what other assets I've used.

The only downside is the fact that it takes a bit long to switch from one project to the next, but we do have a "recently used content" menu item, so it's not _that_ bad :)

Cheers,
Mike

A Mejias
10-22-2004, 06:03 AM
Not doing anything wrong, because I prefer method A!

So when you set your content directory to the top level, does it go to the correct object, images, scenes folders when you try to load either type? Or do you have to go to a relevant project, then either object, image, scene etc. (unless it's all in one folder)

Because using method A takes you to the correct folder, then you just choose the project.

Ah! OK, you were commenting on "B" method so I thought you were using "B".

With "B" and the Content Folder set to the "top" you only have to look for the correct project folder to load the scene file. Once you've loaded the scene file LW remembers the last folder you opened and since you're keeping all your files (scenes, objects, images, etc...) for that project together LW will already find them when you want to load another. You'll only have to navigate to another folder when you load a different scene from a different project.

I switched to "B" because I found it much easier to backup, copy and move project. Easy backup helps ensure it's done regularly and reliably. I found "A" required too many steps to hunt around and backup projects completely and reliably. But maybe I was "doing something wrong." :)

I'd like to know if there is a better way to backup individual projects when using "A."