PDA

View Full Version : Clip Map Node Texturing

Chrusion
05-11-2015, 08:12 AM
Need assistance in creating a node tree to clip map texture an object.

The object has a gradient weight map... 0% at top to 100% at bottom (1.75 m from top). The clip map texture must use 3D Crust in which the size of the dots vary from no coverage (solid) at the top to desired size/coverage at the bottom.

The only way to use nodes in an object's Clip Map Texture panel is to use the Node Editor procedural texture. The problem is that there is no weight map node in the Node Editor procedural texture panel like there is when using nodes for displacement and surface textures. So, I've been TRYING to create the same effect as my graduated weight map by adding a regular gradient node, with input set to Y coordinate (key 0 position = 0.0, which I'm pretty sure is the pivot point of the object set in modeler to be at the top of the object) and it's alpha value = 0%. Key 1, with a position of 1.75 (End of gradient also set to 1.75) has an alpha value of 100%. The alpha out of the gradient is connected to the Width input of the Crust texture, but no change whatsoever is happening in the Crust's dot size along the length of the object.

Wherein am I going wrong?

pinkmouse
05-11-2015, 08:27 AM
Pics?

Chrusion
05-11-2015, 08:59 AM

The top of the conical spray object should be solid (zero crust width), increasing to 100% width at bottom (off screen) using this tree (additional texturing and displacements disabled for clarity).

I'm using Clip Mapping instead of a Nodal Surface Transparency setup (which would allow me to use my gradient weight map), due to render time. With clipping, per frame time = 5 mins. Using transparency (which also requires duplicate textures in reflection and spec channels... a pain), frame time multiples to over an hour due to the thousands of overlapping and displaced polys (subD level = 12), despite ray recursion being set to 4.

Ztreem
05-11-2015, 09:05 AM
Can't you use the scalar layer node? Or multiply the crust texture with your weightmap?

JoePoe
05-11-2015, 09:34 AM
Chrusion,

If the top of your object is at 0,0,0 then the length of it is in the MINUS Y.
Change the start value of your gradient to -1.75 with a keyed alpha of 100% there. :thumbsup:
(leaving the key at zero at 0%, of course)

(Edit: On a related note....I take it you are in 11.6, or....are gradients still not available now that clipping is included out in main surfacing area in v2015?)

Chrusion
05-11-2015, 10:18 AM
Hmmm... never mind. I found the location of the gradient transition on the object. It was a VERY narrow band in the MIDDLE of the object, so I started increasing the End value more and more and moving Key 1 down farther and farther, spreading the transition from solid to "swiss cheese." That and the gradient "direction" was inverted... 0% alpha = largest holes at End extent and 100% alpha = solid, no holes at top of object. The value of the End extent (top of the object) ended up around 80. No idea why the position value needed to be so large, being that the object is only 1.75 meters tall. Guess I should've gotten a clue, because the texture size had to be increased 40 fold, too. Strange.

Any idea why the zero, starting point of the gradient is ignoring the pivot point location? Guess it's hard wired to be at the world origin, which makes positioning textures of off-origin objects impossible... one must align the object in modeler and move it back into position in layout, defeating the purpose of the Move Pivot tool. ugh. And what about gradient coordinate units appearing NOT to be in meters? I moved the bottom of my object to Y=0, making the top at Y=1.75, but in the gradient key position, where top = End, I have to jack that up to 80. I mean, that doesn't even coincide with the units being millimeters (175 turns out to be around twice as "high" on Y). Confused.

Now to add the downward texture motion envelope. Bet that has to be ramped up 45 times, too... from -2 m/s to -90?

Chrusion
05-11-2015, 10:55 AM
Can't you... multiply the crust texture with your weightmap?As I said, there is no weight map node of any kind in the Node Editor procedural texture plugin (you know, the texture available by that name in the list of procedurals... well, at least under the clip map [T] button), thus one cannot access or use a weight map in clip map textures.

JoePoe
05-11-2015, 11:25 AM
If you set the Crust texture Contrast to 100% you won't have to crank the texture size up so high.
With it at 0 you are trying to increase, as far as the clip is concerned, pinholes.

Chrusion
05-11-2015, 11:45 AM
Interesting. Thanks, Joe... just checked and contrast is at default 0%. Too late now... scene is in the render farm.

Ztreem
05-11-2015, 02:26 PM
As I said, there is no weight map node of any kind in the Node Editor procedural texture plugin (you know, the texture available by that name in the list of procedurals... well, at least under the clip map [T] button), thus one cannot access or use a weight map in clip map textures.

Ah, OK. I missed that part. I thought you were in the surface editor in LW2015 and using the new clipmap feature.

Ztreem
05-12-2015, 03:29 AM
As I said, there is no weight map node of any kind in the Node Editor procedural texture plugin (you know, the texture available by that name in the list of procedurals... well, at least under the clip map [T] button), thus one cannot access or use a weight map in clip map textures.

You can use a weight map in there, use the scalar layer node.

Chrusion
05-12-2015, 06:11 AM
Ah HA! Why, THERE it is! Thanks! I wonder why the Weight Maps section is missing vs. the Displacement and Surface Node Editors.

My bad for failing to say this was 11.6.3.

Chrusion
05-12-2015, 06:17 AM
... LW2015 and using the new clipmap feature. Interesting. Does that mean Clip Map is now a per object attribute, saved with the object the same as surface texturing, or is it still per scene? Bummer if the latter and if so, why did they move to surface panel, knowing that we know and accept that anything in the object props is a scene attribute, not an object attribute?

lardbros
05-12-2015, 07:32 AM
It's a per object attribute now (in the surface editor) AS WELL as the old-school per scene (in object properties panel)... in fact you can use both at the same time I think. (Just to confuse matters even more) :)

Ztreem
05-12-2015, 07:35 AM
Ah HA! Why, THERE it is! Thanks! I wonder why the Weight Maps section is missing vs. the Displacement and Surface Node Editors.

My bad for failing to say this was 11.6.3.

Yeah, it's kind of strange that all the node editors is different...:stumped:

JoePoe
05-12-2015, 08:05 AM
You can use a weight map in there, use the scalar layer node.

Just wondering what a test ender looked like 8~.
.... cuz' I get nuthin'.