PDA

View Full Version : Oculus program makes it easier to animate VR characters

robertoortiz
05-11-2015, 07:55 AM
Geppetto gives you the creative freedom of stop-animation.
by Mike Hepburn | news | oculus | vr | animation
Masters of Pie, a London based team of 3D artists and developers, has developed a prototype program called Geppetto, which runs on Oculus Rift, and makes it easy to animate virtual reality characters.

http://www.cgsociety.org/news/article/90/oculus-program-makes-it-easier-to-animate-vr-characters

lightscape
05-11-2015, 08:21 AM
Easier?
They do know artists sit on their @%% for 12 hours a day.
Animating or sculpting(its been tried) on something like that will never take off.
Its too physically demanding. Maybe 2 hours is ok.

Full body suit interaction with cgi is a niche in niche. And the prices are still too high for mass market appeal.
What's the word on Neuron Perception? I heard the price went up a lot.

danielkaiser
05-12-2015, 01:09 AM
Easier?
They do know artists sit on their @%% for 12 hours a day.
Animating or sculpting(its been tried) on something like that will never take off.
Its too physically demanding. Maybe 2 hours is ok.

Full body suit interaction with cgi is a niche in niche. And the prices are still too high for mass market appeal.
What's the word on Neuron Perception? I heard the price went up a lot.

12 hours, oh you kids, at my peak 18 hours was average for weeks at a time, as for the Geppetto thing Lightwave has had something similar using PS3 wands for a while. and we have nevron motion capture.

drako
05-13-2015, 05:43 AM
Next step...mindanimation. You have someting in mind and then with a cerbostyle helmet you pass your mind to the VR character and you tell him what to do.
After that speechanimation. Just talk with your AI VR character.
Then the technology passes to all. Thats normal. And then everyone becomes animator-director telling stories...
Magnifiko...:screwy:

jasonwestmas
05-13-2015, 07:30 AM
Might be a good solution for fine tuning but I wouldn't want to do hours of blocking out my animations while standing having goggles on my head.

kopperdrake
05-13-2015, 09:33 AM
All well and good, but I don't see it adding anything to the process of grabbing and pulling things into the right place. It seems it's the same kind of point, click, drag, except you need to do it standing up, wearing goggles and holding controllers that are limited in their inputs.

I can see a use for it fine tuning shots where you're placed into a camera that's been set up in a scene, to make sure the right impact is created when viewers of 3D cinema are watching your animation - that way the 3D would help matters, but other than that it does seem a bit gadgety. Still - who knows where it will lead to - you never know if something will work until someone tries to do it - who'd have thought people would invest millions in the ability to send a text message to more than one person at a time over the internet...

Greenlaw
05-13-2015, 01:36 PM
One more thing to make me throw up while working. :)

G.